You're currently viewing the forum as a Guest
register-now-button_orig.png
and join in with discussions   
ask migration questions
message other members

..and much much more!

VJ_1

Moving to Mackay_Good Suburbs??

Hi, My wife ans I am moving to Mackay from NSW. I was checking the net and found that there is a lot of crime in Mackay. 

1)Was just wondering if it is a correct representation of the actual ground reality.

2) For renting, which place is good to live for a family (less crime and less flooding issue)

3) If crime is high, then is it better to get a secure apartment or an independent house is good.

Please help with any valuable advise. Thanks!  

G’day, mate, look at West Mackay,around the Botanical Gardens. Only a short distance to The Base. The further out, the less crime. North west,  around Nindaroo, the golf course arena, is quite.

I live about 50 km NW and it is only a 40. minute commute.

Hope this helps.

Cheers, Bobj.

4 hours ago, Bobj said:

G’day, mate, look at West Mackay,around the Botanical Gardens. Only a short distance to The Base. The further out, the less crime. North west,  around Nindaroo, the golf course arena, is quite.

I live about 50 km NW and it is only a 40. minute commute.

Hope this helps.

Cheers, Bobj.

Thanks mate. I will check out the places in West Mackay. I hope there is no risk of flooding here and also safe place to live. Thanks a lot in advance!!!

• Like 1

You're hard pushed to say there are suburbs which are safe or unsafe - you tend to find there are bad streets or local areas and the next road over is fine; when I first bought a house in Mackay the neighbour two doors up had a meth lab, the lady over the road was a known dealer and there were hoons a couple of roads down.  However, over a year they all variously moved away or got incarcerated and there has been absolutely no issue since.  It's the same most places; traditionally Andergrove, South Mackay and Blacks Beach had bad reputations, but there are thousands of people living there and there aren't barricades and barbed wire on the streets so it tended to be very localised parts within those areas

There is violence around town late at night; the consequence of too many young people on high wages blowing it on booze and maybe stronger stuff, but does that generally spill over into the suburbs? no.  The largest proportion of crime (according to police reports) is vehicle theft.

There are areas which have a higher proportion of less desirables (the local nickname for one such area is Ice Island), you can generally tell these by seeing where the really cheap rents are, and having a drive around you'll see the same ones tend to be unkempt and overgrown. 

Take all the normal precautions of being stringent about your home security and you are very unlikely to have problems; in the 15 years I've lived here the only incident that has ever occurred to me personally was when a drunk teenager mistake my house for his, came in through the unlocked back door and fell asleep on the sofa.  Of course crime happens as it does in every city, but take some responsibility for your personal security and you are very unlikely to have issues.

In terms of flooding, look up the Mackay storm surge evacuation maps online.  If your house is not in an evacuation area you don't have much to worry about.  For reference my first house was in Zone 3 of the 5 zones, and during the floods of 2008 (which people are still talking about; it doesn't happen very often), I got maybe 10cm of water through the bottom story of the house.  East Mackay and the lower suburbs particularly south of the river are the ones that would be most at risk.

15 hours ago, Eera said:

You're hard pushed to say there are suburbs which are safe or unsafe - you tend to find there are bad streets or local areas and the next road over is fine; when I first bought a house in Mackay the neighbour two doors up had a meth lab, the lady over the road was a known dealer and there were hoons a couple of roads down.  However, over a year they all

Thank you so much Eera for the detailed post!!!