489 Visa timeline

I just thought I would start a new thread so that we can compare timelines for the 489 visa. I am just waiting on my criminal check certificate to arrive before I submit and pay for my visa application and am curious about what happens afterwards. I know that at some point we will be given a code to use for our medical assessments but am keen to know an approximate timeframe for this as we are going to South Africa for two months over Christmas and don't want to miss any deadlines. I have chosen not to do the medicals until prompted as suggested on the Department of Home Affairs website. Is there anyone out there one step ahead of me who can shed some light as to what to expect next.

Thanks heaps

On my Immiaccount application it asks for character references and police checks are one of the options to submit. They only take 10 days so I decided to include them. I haven’t been asked for medical information yet so will wait for that. What stage are you at? Did you submit without police checks? If so, what did you submit as good character evidence? Are you also applying for the 489? 

I have now submitted and paid for my application and I have been sent referral letters to book my medical exam. There is a code inside the referral letter that the panel physician uses to submit the results directly back to my file with the Home Office so it looks like it is a fairly simple process. Hopefully we can get an appointment fairly quickly and then I guess we just wait?!

I applied to SA 11 weeks ago for my 489. The current processing time is 12 - 16 weeks. I expect to hear back on the top end of this.

I wouldn't get your Police and Medical checks yet. You have to use your visa within 12 months of them being issued. The processing time for the 489 is 75% done in 9 months and 90% completed within 12 months. It might not leave you much time to use your visa or worse they could expire by the time the processing is complete.

Edited by JetBlast

The 12 months validity is needed until the visa is granted not used. People need to sell houses and organise removals before arriving in Australia. I submitted my visa the same day my police checks came through as adding paperwork at a later date can slow processing. As soon as I submitted my visa I was promted to book my medical so I will do that on Monday. With a 90% chance that it will be processed in time I feel confident. How long are you waiting to do your medical and police checks? 

2 minutes ago, JonandSophietravel said:

According to my MA, the 12 month limit is when you have to enter Australia, not for the visa to be granted. That's why a lot of people do a mini-holiday trip into Australia to validate the visa and then do the proper immigration several months later, after selling their house etc, like you suggested.

That;s correct. The Validation date which is the date by which you must make first entry to Australia - is usually 12 months from the date of the police check or medical,whichever was the earlier,

2 hours ago, kerry knight said:

The 12 months validity is needed until the visa is granted not used. People need to sell houses and organise removals before arriving in Australia. I submitted my visa the same day my police checks came through as adding paperwork at a later date can slow processing. As soon as I submitted my visa I was promted to book my medical so I will do that on Monday. With a 90% chance that it will be processed in time I feel confident. How long are you waiting to do your medical and police checks? 

Sorry but you are not correct. You need to use the visa 12 months from the issue date of the Police and Medial checks. Whatever comes first. If you get your visa after 9 months you will have 3 months max to get everything in order and go. Unless you take a quick visit and move later.

Edited by JetBlast

Hi Parveen, I think it depends on why you were refused in 2013. They do ask if you have had any visa refused before in the application so you will have to declare that, and then probably explain why. As long as the reasons for refusal are not still the case I can't imagine why they would still be a problem but I am no expert. I am also pretty sure that you can apply for the 489 whilst still on a 457. However, I thought that the old 457 was also a route to permanent residency? Are you not able to do that through your current employer?

They keep it in the system as due to constantly changing circumstances your EOI isn’t static. For example you might acquire more years of work experience as time ticks by, increasing your overall points, or you might resit an English test and get better results leading to higher overall points.