SC190 Obligation Warning

Raul Senise

I know the topic of the obligation to live and work in the Sponsoring State for a subclass 190 visa is often discussed.

Many advise that this is just a "moral obligation" and not required. 

This is not the case. Some States are now actively pursuing non compliance and have successfully had sc190 visas cancelled for applicants not meeting their obligations of living and working in the sponsoring state, using cancellation provisions in the Migration Act.

Subdivision C - Visas based on incorrect information may be cancelled 

Edited by Raul Senise
  • Like 6

15 minutes ago, rammygirl said:

Am I right in assuming those people who had visas cancelled did not seek release from the State?  Do states still grant release in some cases and on what grounds?  

I do not know the specifics of the cancellations as they were not my clients, but believe cancellation would be unlikely if a release letter was provided.

Most States are reasonable with release letters if genuine efforts have been made.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Raul Senise said:

I know the topic of the obligation to live and work in the Sponsoring State for a subclass 190 visa is often discussed.

This is not the case. Some States are now actively pursuing non compliance and have successfully had sc190 visas cancelled for applicants not meeting their obligations of living and working in the sponsoring state, using cancellation provisions in the Migration Act.

Are you aware which states are actively pursuing this? It could be useful for forum members even just to serve as a "warning" if nothing else

Also, is this the rule or the exception to the rule to pursue (with success) the cancellation of 190 visa holders? 

How does one determine a visa was issued on incorrect information to facilitate cancellation? I imagine a scenario (as per the other 190 thread) where three IT professionals move to Melbourne on a 190. All apply for positions over the following 6 months. One is successful, two are not. Of the two that are unsuccessful one seeks release from the state the other does not. Both leave in order to find employment to feed their families and secure jobs in other states, contributing to the economy and integrating into society. Is it really feasible that one of these individuals would have their visa cancelled? Or are we discussing outliers that deliberately seek a 190 under false pretenses and do not even set foot in the state of choice?

I can imagine some forum members applying with complete honesty but having genuine need to relocate interstate and reading the above could cause much distress without clarification. This would be particularly true if they were only now becoming aware of the above 'after the fact' having not sought release from the relevant state before moving through genuine need.

2 hours ago, MacGyver said:

Are you aware which states are actively pursuing this? It could be useful for forum members even just to serve as a "warning" if nothing else

I can imagine some forum members applying with complete honesty but having genuine need to relocate interstate and reading the above could cause much distress without clarification. This would be particularly true if they were only now becoming aware of the above 'after the fact' having not sought release from the relevant state before moving through genuine need.

I don't think it matters which states are doing it now.  Where one goes, the rest are likely to follow, and you can bet they won't advertise the fact before they start doing it.  Therefore people need to be conscious it could happen, no matter which state they're going for.

Of course there are people who apply with complete honesty and then have a genuine need to relocate. That's what the release process is for. As the OP says, IF you apply for release, you will usually get one.  

It's hard to imagine anyone who applies for a 190 isn't aware of the obligations that go with the visa. If they deliberately flout that obligation, they deserve everything they get - especially as doing the right thing (ie. requesting a release) is so easy to do.

Edited by Marisawright
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 05/10/2018 at 15:35, MacGyver said:

Yes I am aware.

I don't see any point in sharing such information it as I do not want to be party to people actively looking to rort the system.

Also, is this the rule or the exception to the rule to pursue (with success) the cancellation of 190 visa holders? 

Too early to tell, however, based on the PMs latest announcement I believe this will become more common.

How does one determine a visa was issued on incorrect information to facilitate cancellation? I imagine a scenario (as per the other 190 thread) where three IT professionals move to Melbourne on a 190. All apply for positions over the following 6 months. One is successful, two are not. Of the two that are unsuccessful one seeks release from the state the other does not. Both leave in order to find employment to feed their families and secure jobs in other states, contributing to the economy and integrating into society. Is it really feasible that one of these individuals would have their visa cancelled? Or are we discussing outliers that deliberately seek a 190 under false pretenses and do not even set foot in the state of choice?

I think it is unlikely that anyone who made a genuine effort and communicated with their sponsoring State will face cancellation.

• Thanks 1

I have had clients who instructed me that they did not intend to reside in a sponsoring state or territory, so I stopped representing them and informed the relevant authorities that I had no further instructions and to deal directly with the applicant/s.The alternative would have been to submit to the state/territory/minister information that I knew, or should have known, was false or misleading in a material particular.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, wrussell said:

I have had clients who instructed me that they did not intend to reside in a sponsoring state or territory, so I stopped representing them and informed the relevant authorities that I had no further instructions and to deal directly with the applicant/s.The alternative would have been to submit to the state/territory/minister information that I knew, or should have known, was false or misleading in a material particular.

As a MARA registered agent, is there an expectation/responsibility to advise the relevant authority/authorities of any wrongdoing if it later becomes known to the agent?

Sorry for so many questions, as I said before it's not relevant to me personally or anyone I know but I find it all very interesting. It must put agents in a very uncomfortable situation sometimes? Are there repercussions for agents if they are complicit in applications such as the above (i.e submit on behalf of a client despite knowing it is not a truthful application)?

• 2 weeks later...

I am someone who started my Journey in Australia from Adelaide in Feb 2015 ( on 457 Visa ), Applied 190 SS SA visa in MArch 2017 and recieved Visa in September 2017. Unfortunately as soon as I recieved PR, My Employer terminated my contract ( I got this contract from offshore and expectation was I would go back to offshore to join offshore office).  I went back to India in October 2017 and came back on 1-Jan-18. Serached for job for 3 months...till March end..Was not able to Secure anything...Then on one day I got call from Melbourne and they offered me contract for 6 months..I called SA Immigration office and checked with them if I can join the melbourne office ..They said okay go ahead and try finding job in Adelaide..which I kept finding..I am not still not able to find any job in Adelaide..Now my Melbourne office has agreed to provide me a permanent role..starting from 1-Nov-18..I again called SA Immigration department and checked with them if I can grab this role..They told me to send email...I sent email and next day I recieved a response from them as per attached. Please check attachement..

My Family still live in Adelaide..My Kids goes to school there ..I have house on lease there ..and I travel every week back to Adelaide..

Does anyone think I would have any issues in future?? This Permanent role can meant to be lot for me...

Untitled.png

6 minutes ago, saini@AU said:

I am someone who started my Journey in Australia from Adelaide in Feb 2015 ( on 457 Visa ), Applied 190 SS SA visa in MArch 2017 and recieved Visa in September 2017. Unfortunately as soon as I recieved PR, My Employer terminated my contract ( I got this contract from offshore and expectation was I would go back to offshore to join offshore office).  I went back to India in October 2017 and came back on 1-Jan-18. Serached for job for 3 months...till March end..Was not able to Secure anything...Then on one day I got call from Melbourne and they offered me contract for 6 months..I called SA Immigration office and checked with them if I can join the melbourne office ..They said okay go ahead and try finding job in Adelaide..which I kept finding..I am not still not able to find any job in Adelaide..Now my Melbourne office has agreed to provide me a permanent role..starting from 1-Nov-18..I again called SA Immigration department and checked with them if I can grab this role..They told me to send email...I sent email and next day I recieved a response from them as per attached. Please check attachement..

My Family still live in Adelaide..My Kids goes to school there ..I have house on lease there ..and I travel every week back to Adelaide..

Does anyone think I would have any issues in future?? This Permanent role can meant to be lot for me...

Seems good to me actually. 

Mind if I ask you which department you specifically contacted for? I am currently looking for a release letter but the dept I contacted (Skilled Migration Tasmania <-) said they do not issue a release letter so I think probably I approached to a wrong address. What is the name of SA immigration office you contacted and how did you know that they are the one you need to contact to? 

How do you know you have completed 2 years? Is it 730 days in the particular state or how do you calculate it?

• 3 weeks later...
On 09/10/2018 at 11:56, MacGyver said:

As a MARA registered agent, is there an expectation/responsibility to advise the relevant authority/authorities of any wrongdoing if it later becomes known to the agent?

Only the usual obligation to report criminal offences.

Are there repercussions for agents if they are complicit in applications such as the above (i.e submit on behalf of a client despite knowing it is not a truthful application)?

Only for registered migration agents. Unregistered agents are not regulated.

• 4 weeks later...

I have been living in Australia for nearly 3 years, but not in the state which sponsored my 190. I found a job by chance in another state while initially living with relatives when I arrived. The job was basically perfect, right by relatives.

Since I have gone over the 2 year stay in the sponsoring state, would I also be subject to potential revocation of my visa?

3 hours ago, supercow said:

I have been living in Australia for nearly 3 years, but not in the state which sponsored my 190. I found a job by chance in another state while initially living with relatives when I arrived. The job was basically perfect, right by relatives.

Since I have gone over the 2 year stay in the sponsoring state, would I also be subject to potential revocation of my visa?

Did you contact the sponsoring state and explain your situation at all?

Under the current regulations there is no condition imposed on a subclass 190 visa that requires the holder/s to live or work anywhere in particular. Search schedule 8  for a list of possible conditions.

There is a requirement not to provide false or misleading information to the minister, such as falsely stating an intention to live in a nominating state or territory. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

It would be quite interesting to know how the department can justify cancelling someones visa based on not meeting this obligation. How can they show that someone provided false information about the intention to move to sponsoring state? What if someone sent one job application or even just googled their sponsoring state - couldn't that be considered a genuine intention to move there? Intention is not really something that can be that well defined and can be very subjective in my opinion...

Another thing would be the logistics of cancelling a visa of someone already in Australia. For example what about their children that are Australian citizens or loans/mortgage/other obligations that they took?

20 minutes ago, JoannaAch said:

It would be quite interesting to know how the department can justify cancelling someones visa based on not meeting this obligation. ....

... what about their children that are Australian citizens or loans/mortgage/other obligations that they took?

When you are granted the 190 visa, it's on the condition that you MUST work in the nominated state for the required period of time. By accepting the visa, you are accepting that condition.    If you activate the visa knowing you have no intention of working in that state, then you have accepted under false pretenses, which has the same effect as "making a false statement".

So, it would be very easy for them to justify cancellation if someone gets a 190 visa then goes straight to another state on arrival - their actions demonstrate that they obtained the 190 visa under false pretences. 

It would be less clear-cut if someone arrived, stayed in their nominated state for a few weeks, then claimed they had to move to get a job  - I guess it would come down to proving they made a serious effort to find work before giving up.

Then of course, Immigration could also use evidence from social media and forums like this, where people often post about moving to Australia to be with family in, say, Queensland, so they apply for a 190 for SA because it's all that's available...

As for children who are Australian citizens - that's not Immigration's problem.  There are thousands of examples of people who got deported even though they have children born in Australia. Having Australian children gives you no right to remain in the country.  Ditto your obligations.

Edited by Marisawright

1 hour ago, Marisawright said:

When you are granted the 190 visa, it's on the condition that you MUST work in the nominated state for the required period of time. By accepting the visa, you are accepting that condition.    If you activate the visa knowing you have no intention of working in that state, then you have accepted under false pretenses, which has the same effect as "making a false statement". 

So, it would be very easy for them to justify cancellation if someone gets a 190 visa then goes straight to another state on arrival - their actions demonstrate that they obtained the 190 visa under false pretences.  

The 190 visa does not have any conditions, so that's not exactly correct. The obligation comes into place with the agreement that you sign with the state where you certify that you "intend" to live in the sponsoring state. That is where I think it gets tricky - intend is a very vague term?

Even though your example where someone never goes to sponsoring state is reasonable, I'm not sure if that is something that can be proved e.g. in court? What if that someone intended to live in the sponsoring state when signing the agreement, but changed their mind 2min or 2 months later? How do you prove that they never planed to go there?

Just to clarify - I'm not actually encouraging people to ignore their obligation to the state that sponsored them, I just really don't like fear mongering. Might be related to being a scientist in a world running on fake news and anecdotal evidence...

Edited by JoannaAch

11 minutes ago, JoannaAch said:

The 190 visa does not have any conditions, so that's not exactly correct. The obligation comes into place with the agreement that you sign with the state where you certify that you "intend" to live in the sponsoring state. That is where I think it gets tricky - intend is a very vague term?

Regulations often have vague language, it's the minister or the  courts who interpret what the term was intended to mean. Once a case has been heard, that sets a precedent for future cases. 

And it sounds like some kind of determination has been made, because states are cancelling visas as we speak.  That's not fearmongering, it's fact.

Edited by Marisawright
  • Like 1

If your sponsoring state does review individual cases in this way, are you happy you have good enough reasons for it not to be revoked?

You don’t say in your post whether you applied for dozens of jobs in your sponsoring state, flew back and forth for interviews, kept getting knocked back and then eventually widened your search to include the state where you were living, but without that detail it sounds to my untrained ear that you just intended to get to Australia, not your sponsoring state.

Thanks, but I’ve contacted the (registered) migration agent that assisted me, and have been assured the following. Feel free to prove your suspicions on my motives 🙂

I have not heard of any SC190 visas being cancelled due to not living/working in the state that sponsors them.  I also doubt this is the case as your visa (SC190) has no conditions on it that restrict you in any way.

In order for a visa to be cancelled under 'Subdivision C - Visas based on incorrect information may be cancelled ' the information used to complete the application would need to be proven to be incorrect at that time.  This was not the case for you.

Edited by supercow

Thanks, but I’ve contacted the (registered) migration agent that assisted me, and have been assured the following. Feel free to prove your suspicions on my motives [emoji846]

I have not heard of any SC190 visas being cancelled due to not living/working in the state that sponsors them.  I also doubt this is the case as your visa (SC190) has no conditions on it that restrict you in any way.

In order for a visa to be cancelled under 'Subdivision C - Visas based on incorrect information may be cancelled ' the information used to complete the application would need to be proven to be incorrect at that time.  This was not the case for you.

You queried the potential of your visa being revoked, therefore you must have had some concerns about the legitimacy of your visa.

But hey, congratulations...you have residency and didn’t have to live or work in the state that sponsored you. Unfortunately, those who follow will pay for that I’m sure...

• 1 month later...
On 05/10/2018 at 09:33, Raul Senise said:

I’m glad this is being enforced.

There is something rather underhand about applying for a state sponsored visa and then buggering off to another state to live and work (which I’m sure people have done as soon as they have arrived in Australia) without even having the courtesy of letting your sponsoring state know. 

Really, if found out, this is also something that should be considered under the applicant’s “character” assessment when applying for citizenship. 

• Like 5