I have visited UK 3 times and I am now returing to live

karen williams

I am British but was living in New Zealand with my young Daughter when I met and married an Australian, it made sense to move to Melbourne Australia as all his family were here. With the exception of his parents his family were not overly welcoming. We adapted to our new life, it was only after my Husband passed away three years ago and I have visited UK three times that I realise, I have lived in Australia but it's never really been home, on my last visit to England in September this year, I felt totally content and walked around with a stupid grin on my face most of the time. I love the British sense of humour and I just felt like I belonged. My Daughter and her then boyfriend moved to London 12 years ago on a working holiday, they are now married with a child, they have visited many times but there is no talk about moving back to Australia to live. When people asked me when I was flying  home I realised I already felt like I was home. I would have happily stayed in England. When I arrived back in Melbourne I felt totally flat. I am now making plans to move to England to live and I feel like a weight has been lifted off my shoulders. I am not saying that Australia is a bad place to live, it just doesn't suit me.

• Like 7

Good luck with your move "home". Many of us long term expats feel just the way you do. I've been lucky enough to have had the past 7 years in UK and I belong, it's been great. When my dad dies we will move on, back to Australia but with grandkids on both sides of the world in not looking forward to it. I hope your move is as fabulous as ours had been! Good luck!

• Like 3

6 hours ago, karen williams said:

I am British but was living in New Zealand with my young Daughter when I met and married an Australian, it made sense to move to Melbourne Australia as all his family were here. With the exception of his parents his family were not overly welcoming. We adapted to our new life, it was only after my Husband passed away three years ago and I have visited UK three times that I realise, I have lived in Australia but it's never really been home, on my last visit to England in September this year, I felt totally content and walked around with a stupid grin on my face most of the time. I love the British sense of humour and I just felt like I belonged. My Daughter and her then boyfriend moved to London 12 years ago on a working holiday, they are now married with a child, they have visited many times but there is no talk about moving back to Australia to live. When people asked me when I was flying  home I realised I already felt like I was home. I would have happily stayed in England. When I arrived back in Melbourne I felt totally flat. I am now making plans to move to England to live and I feel like a weight has been lifted off my shoulders. I am not saying that Australia is a bad place to live, it just doesn't suit me.

Good luck. I moved back in June and am very happy and settled. The hardest part is making the decision to move on I think. Once you have decided to do it it is almost a relief. Or it was for me.

• Like 3

13 hours ago, karen williams said:

Good luck with everything ... we moved the other way a year ago to be near our daughter ... huge upheaval but worth it if you are happy 🙂

• Like 2

Karen I can so relate to your post.  I was there in Aug/Sept and am struggling with major home sickness (I was born in Aus but I grew up in the UK from age 4 and came back here when I was 21).  I had the stupid grin too.  I love the cooler weather (I detest the heat), the natural beauty, public footpaths, the architecture, the TV, BBC radio 2, the choice of supermarkets even!  I felt flat too and still do as I am pretty much stuck as I have an Aussie partner (who doesn't want to move there) and 10 year old son.  The only way I can think of doing it is to go for 12 months, just my son and I and my partner would visit for 6 weeks during the summer.  It's sad that your husband has passed away but you are free to do as you choose.  You sound excited and I'm excited for you!  Good luck and keep us posted on how things go!

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Pingpongpom69 said:

Karen I can so relate to your post.  I was there in Aug/Sept and am struggling with major home sickness (I was born in Aus but I grew up in the UK from age 4 and came back here when I was 21).  I had the stupid grin too.  I love the cooler weather (I detest the heat), the natural beauty, public footpaths, the architecture, the TV, BBC radio 2, the choice of supermarkets even!  I felt flat too and still do as I am pretty much stuck as I have an Aussie partner (who doesn't want to move there) and 10 year old son.  The only way I can think of doing it is to go for 12 months, just my son and I and my partner would visit for 6 weeks during the summer.  It's sad that your husband has passed away but you are free to do as you choose.  You sound excited and I'm excited for you!  Good luck and keep us posted on how things go!

I have to say, I'm still worried by your plan to go for 12 months.  I am extremely pessimistic that it will 'get it out of your system' and I can imagine you getting to the end of the 12 months and absolutely dreading having to return.

Could you maybe spend the whole summer holidays (from mid-December to end January) in the UK every year instead?  That would let you miss some of the worst of the heat every year and you'd always have something to look forward to.

On 04/10/2018 at 21:06, karen williams said:

Good on you for following your heart!! I am sorry to hear about your husband passing though.  I am similar to you... Born Scotland, lived in Australia since I was 14.  I have never felt as though I belong and I detest the heat.  I have never been home.  I have a trip booked for easter next year and all going well intend on moving back in September next year.  I know in my heart that as soon as my feet hit  Scottish soil I will be home and feel peace within myself again. 

• Like 2

On 04/10/2018 at 21:06, karen williams said:

I hope it all goes really smoothly for you.

We have just returned from a visit to the UK, and to be honest I feel really flat.  Some of that could just be from the wrench of leaving family (again).  Actually, leaving family gets harder and harder each time we visit.

We spent 6 years in NZ, and have only been here for just under a year, and I have loved every minute of our adventures.  The only thing is, that I am really starting to question whether it is all worth it, when all the people we love are on the other side of the world...

Anyway, congrats on your decision, and hope it all goes well... 🙂

• 4 weeks later...
On 04/10/2018 at 12:06, karen williams said:

That’s nice to hear.   You are coming home, to the best place in the world and it’s your country, you really do belong here.  Life in the hot dry dusty remoteness back of beyond living 15 years behind the times does not compare to living right in the heart of the world.  U.K. is a vibrant happening exciting place to live your life.  Come on home...it’s great here !!

• Like 2