Perth/Fremantle & schools

jobolt

Hi all,

My previous post seems to have disappeared when the website went down earlier today...  So the job my husband has been offered is based by Jandakot Airport (we are currently in the UK), but we'd ideally like to live closer to the coast and was looking at Coogee.  Does anyone on here live around there or have any advice on what the area is like? We have three primary school age children to get settled and with having to get over there by mid January and getting them into a school to start the new year in February for a school and area that I know nothing about is really worrying me.  I know I can google schools and look on their websites, but hearing first hand what you guys think of certain areas (good or bad) would be really helpful.  I was hoping to be in a position that we could get over there and have time for the kids to adapt and look round to see where we like and visit schools to get a feel for them, but no such luck.  What have you guys done when you've been thrown into it? I can't just point at an area on google maps and go yep that'll do! Help...

Coogee is a nice area - can't comment on the schools.  Properties are 1 million + on average, lots of apartments.  rental prices for a house with more than 2 bedrooms will be in the region of $800 + per week (average), obviously less for e.g. 2 bed apartment.

We actually did just pick a suburb - we had a radius in mind to where I would be working for commute time and managed to get a short term rental in a place we'd never heard of.  

Blimey that's expensive! Is that North Coogee? I've heard that part is more affluent.  If it was just me and hubby then it would be a lot simpler to pick a suburb and go with it, but I have to consider catchment areas, etc.  It's a minefield!

The coastal property is very expensive around those locations. Hence, as mentioned, a lot of people move far North or South to live coastal. Obvs don't know your budget, but guessing you'd be talking 7 figures for a decent 5-person place.

• 1 month later...

Jandakot? Try going inland a little. Southern River - has an excellent school (Bletchley Park primary) which is independent, great teachers, good atmosphere. The surrounding area is relatively new, a lot of migrants, who place focus on children and education, so the standard is high, supportive and of good quality. We lived in Harrisdale for a while, and there is a newer primary in the area, but also a high school, and I believe the standards are good there too.

Fremantle is excellent, but perhaps the housing a bit pricey. East Fremantle primary is very good. The rail line from Fremantle opens up a few schools along the line.

• 4 weeks later...
Hi all,
My previous post seems to have disappeared when the website went down earlier today...  So the job my husband has been offered is based by Jandakot Airport (we are currently in the UK), but we'd ideally like to live closer to the coast and was looking at Coogee.  Does anyone on here live around there or have any advice on what the area is like? We have three primary school age children to get settled and with having to get over there by mid January and getting them into a school to start the new year in February for a school and area that I know nothing about is really worrying me.  I know I can google schools and look on their websites, but hearing first hand what you guys think of certain areas (good or bad) would be really helpful.  I was hoping to be in a position that we could get over there and have time for the kids to adapt and look round to see where we like and visit schools to get a feel for them, but no such luck.  What have you guys done when you've been thrown into it? I can't just point at an area on google maps and go yep that'll do! Help...
I know it's a bit far north, but Burns Beach, especially near the cafe, is good value for money and it's right by the beach. Only 20 mins from the city by train or freeway. Just a thought.