NSW 190 Secondary school teacher

Suus

11 hours ago, garrychandi said:

Yes, they sent invitations yesterday

I haven't seen any invites for teachers on a 190 this week, only trades, midwives and nurses. If you know of secondary teachers who are being invited, how many points did they have? I have 65+5 for NSW and have had my EOI in since July!

1 hour ago, JDJones said:

I haven't seen any invites for teachers on a 190 this week, only trades, midwives and nurses. If you know of secondary teachers who are being invited, how many points did they have? I have 65+5 for NSW and have had my EOI in since July!

I don't think they invited any teachers. This time around they even skipped the chefs as couple of my mates were hoping for an invite. What i gathered from all over the other forums, there were very few invitations were issued compared to last year. I don't understand the politics around all this, on one hand they are saying they need teachers ( USYD offers $10000  a year) scholarship to do a degree in teaching and then they ignore all the teachers who are waiting, They should be inviting teachers 60+ 5 ss if they need teachers

10 hours ago, garrychandi said:

I don't understand the politics around all this, on one hand they are saying they need teachers ( USYD offers $10000  a year) scholarship to do a degree in teaching and then they ignore all the teachers who are waiting, They should be inviting teachers 60+ 5 ss if they need teachers

You would think that, right? And you would be wrong.

The occupational ceilings are loosely based on demand, but are also so high that they do not actually limit occupations not truly in demand.

Invitation is then based on points, not demand. And there are literally thousands, perhaps tens of thousands of accountant/engineer/ICT professionals with 75+ points clamoring to drive taxi's and manage retail stores (because 70 percent of the pro-ratas are not in fact working as professionals for at least 5 years according to census data).

Throw in that there are not many teachers, and even fewer at 75+ points because that would mean you probably have 10 years of experience; and teachers with that much experience are typically 'settled' (e.g. not interested in migration).

Final nail in the coffin is the reduction in total invites (albeit against parliamentary planning). This chokes out all the sub 70 pointers because of the giant backlog it creates. And really, the majority of teachers looking to migrate are going to be in the 60-65 point range, so teachers are largely out despite being highly employable.

The outcome is that the 'ideal' migrant is an experienced professional unlikely to find work in their profession.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, garrychandi said:

I don't think they invited any teachers. This time around they even skipped the chefs as couple of my mates were hoping for an invite. What i gathered from all over the other forums, there were very few invitations were issued compared to last year. I don't understand the politics around all this, on one hand they are saying they need teachers ( USYD offers $10000  a year) scholarship to do a degree in teaching and then they ignore all the teachers who are waiting, They should be inviting teachers 60+ 5 ss if they need teachers

Ah, but training a local person solves the teacher shortage AND reduces unemployment at the same time, which is politically more desirable. 

1 hour ago, Marisawright said:

Ah, but training a local person solves the teacher shortage AND reduces unemployment at the same time, which is politically more desirable. 

Yeah i agree with you, but thats not the argument i was making. I was trying to point out there is an evidence that they have shortage of teachers

3 hours ago, Karstedt said:

The occupational ceilings are loosely based on demand, but are also so high that they do not actually limit occupations not truly in demand.

Invitation is then based on points, not demand. And there are literally thousands, perhaps tens of thousands of accountant/engineer/ICT professionals with 75+ points clamoring to drive taxi's and manage retail stores (because 70 percent of the pro-ratas are not in fact working as professionals for at least 5 years according to census data).

Throw in that there are not many teachers, and even fewer at 75+ points because that would mean you probably have 10 years of experience; and teachers with that much experience are typically 'settled' (e.g. not interested in migration).

Final nail in the coffin is the reduction in total invites (albeit against parliamentary planning). This chokes out all the sub 70 pointers because of the giant backlog it creates. And really, the majority of teachers looking to migrate are going to be in the 60-65 point range, so teachers are largely out despite being highly employable.

The outcome is that the 'ideal' migrant is an experienced professional unlikely to find work in their profession.

I totally agree with you. So from my experience what i have seen over the last year or so, ICT and Accountant push every one out of the competition with their high points (they can do professional year to get 5 extra points etc). It was pretty hard for trade people to get an invitation through 189 as most trade workers have diploma which reduces their points, to compensate that states started prioritising trade workers. But they totally missed the point that there are other general occupations that can't get enough points, teachers are the best example of that

3 minutes ago, Marisawright said:

Only in some subjects and in some states.

By comparison, there is no shortage of pro-ratas of any kind in any state... yet they remain a priority. Unless by shortage, they mean 'suitable' candidates. In engineering there are 28.9 applicants per position with only 2.3 considered 'suitable' by employers. Ouch... over 90% of engineers in AU are considered unsuitable. I'm making a leap here, but I reckon those are mostly the migrant engineers reporting that they have not obtained a professional level of employment.

Here's a snippet from the latest NSW School Teacher labour market research (it is still reported that there is no shortage) -

"The average of 9.6 applicants per vacancy is the lowest since 2008-09, and is below the average for the past 10 years of 12.5 applicants per vacancy."

They also report 3.3 'suitable' applicants per vacancy. So sure, there are more suitable teacher applicants than engineer applicants. Hence I can see that flooding the marketplace with unwanted migrant engineers seems like the best course of action. Let's ignore the effect that has on the rising youth unemployment in AU (I suspect heavily contributed to by professional migrants taking low level jobs).

I get these stats from the Department of Jobs and Small Business reports [https://docs.jobs.gov.au/], I don't pull them out of my butt. However, living, studying and working in AU for over 6 years makes them confirmation of what I would have pulled out of my butt through observation.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Karstedt said:

I'm going into my 14th year as a secondary school teacher (not settled) and whilst this gives me a good point score the flip side is that to gain this experience I've grown old so not many points for that category! 😏😂

9 hours ago, Burnsie said:

I'm going into my 14th year as a secondary school teacher (not settled) and whilst this gives me a good point score the flip side is that to gain this experience I've grown old so not many points for that category! 😏😂

Yeah, forgot to add, that many points means you not only have 10 years of experience, but you started very young. Of all professions, teaching is one where a lot of people come to it later, or start out doing it, then do something else, then come back to it. It's just not a profession where you will have many young highly experienced candidates looking to migrate. I myself have come to it late, but studied in AU... which would land me a job ASAP, but won't get me the work rights. And teachers are not typically employer nominated... sadly, professionals in general are not employer nominated. Something ridiculous like 80% of employer nominated visas are in food and retail management; it's a dodgy way to bring in cheap labour or family members (the announced crackdown on auditing tax records of employer nominated visa holders starting this year is probably 100% warranted).

My larger point however, is that the points system is flawed because it does not reflect employability; and the fewer migrants they allow, the worse it gets. A 60pt teacher/nurse/tradie/chef/barber is likely to find work in their occupation in 6 months. An 80pt pro-rata will be unlikely to get work in their profession for years (perhaps never, because once you haven't worked in an occupation like ICT for a couple years, you become extra extra undesirable).

English proficiency (actual, not related to the tests) also plays a big role in professional occupations, but since the vast majority of migrants do not have an English background and are overwhelmingly drawn to the pro-rata (professional) occupations, they kind of go hand in hand. The census data indicates that pro-rata migrants with an English background are more than twice as likely to find employment, however their numbers are so small the overall percentage is still ridiculously low. Obviously there is an un-quantifiable racism and cultural bias at play too.

The political schism in the liberal party about immigration is playing on social bigotry to rally the troops for political support, so the focus is completely on numbers and fictional social problems rather than the real economic purposes. Economically, they need to keep numbers fairly high, but they also need to revise their points/invitation schema to be more employability focused. They have neglected the later issue for too long and it certainly hasn't helped the public image of migration.

• Like 1

Hi you all,

I am a secondary school teacher too and I applied for for the 189 (70 points) and 190 (NSW - 75 points) too on the 14th of January. I (obviously) haven't heard anything yet, but I hope for an invite for the 189 soon.

Some interesting resources that I found that may be of use for you all too: https://fortunechance.com.au/skilled-migration-news-nov-dec-2018/ As you can see in the overview, secondary teachers are in the top 10 (number 8 and have been there for the past year, so that gives me hope 🙂 ). That would mean a waiting time of 2 months only with 70 points. However, this latest prediction from another website says that I will be invited in May:  http://www.iscah.com/3750-2/ Both websites publish monthly reports that might be worth following.

Good luck waiting and hoping!!

Best,

Inge

• Like 1

My points will increase from 65 to 70 in July for 3 years experience as a teacher. I'll be putting another EOI in then as well as updating my first one. Do you think this might help my chances?

I'm 32, so in November I turn 33 and my points will decrease back to 65. So frustrating. Should I expect an invite before then or not? Ideally I want to go on a 189 rather than a 190, but I can't understand what NSW are doing in relation to not inviting any secondary teachers this year... any explanation as to what NSW are doing in terms of invites for teachers would be greatly appreciated.

Edited by JDJones

11 hours ago, Inge R said:

Hi you all,

I am a secondary school teacher too and I applied for for the 189 (70 points) and 190 (NSW - 75 points) too on the 14th of January. I (obviously) haven't heard anything yet, but I hope for an invite for the 189 soon.

With a base 70 pts you might get a 189 depending on how many people they invite. They are around a 1 month 'backlog' on 70 pts if current trends continue.

2 hours ago, JDJones said:

My points will increase from 65 to 70 in July for 3 years experience as a teacher. I'll be putting another EOI in then as well as updating my first one. Do you think this might help my chances?

I'm 32, so in November I turn 33 and my points will decrease back to 65. So frustrating. Should I expect an invite before then or not? Ideally I want to go on a 189 rather than a 190, but I can't understand what NSW are doing in relation to not inviting any secondary teachers this year... any explanation as to what NSW are doing in terms of invites for teachers would be greatly appreciated.

The NSW premier is one of the few people on board the current Liberal immigration smackdown, which seems the most likely reason for this years lack of invites. NSW elections are late March and are currently polling Labour; so dear Gladys, the immigrant against immigration may be out at that point. So assuming Feb and March ate still around 50 invites (I've heard speculation there are quite a few more, but ignored/declined due to multiple EOI), there is hope for April-May. Then they usually close around June through Sept, so you've only have a 2-4 month window at the higher point total. If that is 70pts without the state nom, you have a chance at 189 if they don't further backlog 70pt applicants before the new fiscal year.

I'm trying to stay positive by telling myself NSW invited some 2ndary teacher last Feb, so maybe Feb is our month, but it doesn't feel very realistic.

• Thanks 1

On 13/01/2019 at 15:38, Burnsie said:

Thanks but not there yet, champagne on ice for now 🙄

Congrats!! I would be dancing on the table! 7/8 months starts after handing in all documents I assume. Please keep us posted on how long this process takes.

Good luck!! Fingers crossed you will receive THE news in a few months only. Cheers!

23 hours ago, Karstedt said:

With a base 70 pts you might get a 189 depending on how many people they invite. They are around a 1 month 'backlog' on 70 pts if current trends continue.

That would be awesome! But how do you know about this short backlog? I can only find data on 3-5 months backlog. Thanks for letting me know in advance!

I just found out that I could also apply for the 489 South Australia. That would only take 5 weeks of processing time (minimum 80 points) and then you would receive an invite immediately with a 7-9 months processing time. I am planning on moving late January, preferably to NSW, since there are more rural/remote history teaching jobs there. But I am a bit scared that the backlog is 3-5 months and that the processing times for the 189 or 190 will increase again. I also do not expect an invite for the 190 (75 pints) from NSW based on the last historical data. 

Does anyone have any insight in the processing times of the visa? Is that seasonal? A few months back the processing times were way longer. 

2 hours ago, Inge R said:

Congrats!! I would be dancing on the table! 7/8 months starts after handing in all documents I assume. Please keep us posted on how long this process takes.

Good luck!! Fingers crossed you will receive THE news in a few months only. Cheers!

Medicals on Tuesday next week 💪 been busy with the star jumps 😁

3 hours ago, Inge R said:

That would be awesome! But how do you know about this short backlog? I can only find data on 3-5 months backlog. Thanks for letting me know in advance!

I just found out that I could also apply for the 489 South Australia. That would only take 5 weeks of processing time (minimum 80 points) and then you would receive an invite immediately with a 7-9 months processing time. I am planning on moving late January, preferably to NSW, since there are more rural/remote history teaching jobs there. But I am a bit scared that the backlog is 3-5 months and that the processing times for the 189 or 190 will increase again. I also do not expect an invite for the 190 (75 pints) from NSW based on the last historical data. 

Does anyone have any insight in the processing times of the visa? Is that seasonal? A few months back the processing times were way longer. 

Oops, I'm a little behind on my 189 since I lost hope for that. Looks more like a 2 months backlog. ISCAH had been estimating around 35 days backlog at each 189 selection round for a while, looks like 60-70 now. Probably falling behind again after the number reduction.

I would take the SA... maybe I'm just getting hopeless though. From what I understand, competition is generally quite low for rural and especially for remote teaching positions all over AU. Even if you only get relief teaching for a while, cost of living is low in SA. Waiting for NSW or 189 looks entirely dependent on a political swing away from the current leadership in the elections over the next 5 months.

You should also qualify for TAS if you have, "researched the Tasmanian labour market and provide evidence that there are sufficient employment opportunities"... whatever that means.

I do not beleive processing times are seasonal... they appear more political.

The visa processing times have been slightly changed today: 7-8 months for the 190 (this was 7-9) and 6-8 months for the 189 (this was 7-8).

When (if) you receive a nomination and you do not wish to loose time on waiting for your medical examination, you can already have that before receiving an official invite: https://www.am22tech.com/generate-hap-id-for-medical-before-submitting-visa-application/ @JDJones: that could also help you save some time when you are in that time crunch between July and November.

On 22/01/2019 at 18:10, Inge R said:

Hi you all,

Some interesting resources that I found that may be of use for you all too: https://fortunechance.com.au/skilled-migration-news-nov-dec-2018/ As you can see in the overview, secondary teachers are in the top 10 (number 8 and have been there for the past year, so that gives me hope 🙂 ). That would mean a waiting time of 2 months only with 70 points. However, this latest prediction from another website says that I will be invited in May:  http://www.iscah.com/3750-2/ Both websites publish monthly reports that might be worth following.

Good luck waiting and hoping!!

Best,

Inge

Hi Inge,

What is your subject?

Cheers

On ‎29‎/‎01‎/‎2019 at 09:25, Khrys said:

What is your subject?

History, which is not that much in demand 😉

On ‎30‎/‎01‎/‎2019 at 12:40, Burnsie said:

With your points I would be feeling confident of getting an invite on the next 'scoop' on the 11th February...

I requested an estimate (estimateinvite@iscah.com) at ISCAH (they mentioned in a newsletter that you could do this for free, and they gave me 11 May or 11 June. Since I really need to have a visa in December, I am now also in the process of applying for the 489 SA (80 points, 29 Jan). That should take around 5 weeks before I would get the invite. But I am still hoping for the 189 (70 points) on 11 March or even 11 April. Every year, you can see a major drop in Jan-Feb-March-April to only 300-600 invites a month 😢  And after that, who knows what will happen with the elections. Fingers crossed!