Funny Stories - A Spinoff from "Positive Stories"

SWMOY04

So I was just reading the positive stories again whilst taking a break from packing th e50 million boxes in the lounge in readiness for the movecube... we have no lounge anymore...I digress..

anyone with any funny stories to tell about this whole emigration thing?

again, same rules apply as in @The Pom Queen's thread...No V's arguments here...

just some laughs, which may actually save some embarrassment for some.

I'll start..

The whole "How Ya Going?" thing caught me off guard... I thought I was ready for Oz slang...

so the morning of our long drive to QLD from VIC, I pull up in the petrol station at about 3am and I'm asked, how ya going? ...I freaked out thinking, that's a strange/abrupt way to ask...it was clear I was on a road trip... the kids all cosy in car seats...and my OH reclined in front seat...so I just said "I think we're gonna take the Hume to Sydney" ...trying to be all cool...telling myself...yeah...I belong here... yeah, nah, yeah, no worries...yeah... no dramas...

three interactions with locals later, with the car nowhere in sight, I realised, they are not asking about my road trip [FACE.meet.PALM]

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

Was a long time ago and is about packing boxes 

make sure you take all the batteries out of children’s toys , even thos tiny ones 

one night I came down stairs and made a cup or tea , as I passed the box a little voice was singing  

one less cup to pack , was a a toy of the children’s , why it went off I don’t know , but continued all night 

getting creepier as the battery wore out .

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

10 minutes ago, Tink said:

Was a long time ago and is about packing boxes 

make sure you take all the batteries out of children’s toys , even thos tiny ones 

I'm so glad you told.me this... but I'm angry... I have to open up a box which I thought was done and dusted..not your fault though ?????

• Like 1

We needed to replace the globe ‘light bulb shade cover from a toilet. We went to the lighting shop and my husband asks for a globe. They bring out a light bulb. No my husband said I want a globe ‘this size’ demonstrated with his hands. The reply We don’t have them that large.Yes they do we have one. The moral of the story, light bulbs are called globes here. Successful shade purchased.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

When I first moved out to w.a in 1989 I ended up working at the halls creek hotel in the Kimberley.  Night after night I struggled to sleep in my little single prefab room because it was so hot. Eventually I complained to the manager who asked why I didn't use the air conditioning I replied that there wasn't one . He came to check and it turned out the ugly looking heater in the wall wasn't a heater after all the locals had a laugh at my expense x

• Like 1

Almost caused a pile up on St Kilda road. The man went green for me to cross as well as a green light for the traffic that was turning into the road I was crossing. Me in the road, panicking and turning back onto the pavement, the driver stopped waving me across. In the road, out the road, like a crazed woman......

Pedestrians have right of way over turning traffic if they have a green man. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tab said:

When I first moved out to w.a in 1989 I ended up working at the halls creek hotel in the Kimberley.  Night after night I struggled to sleep in my little single prefab room because it was so hot. Eventually I complained to the manager who asked why I didn't use the air conditioning I replied that there wasn't one . He came to check and it turned out the ugly looking heater in the wall wasn't a heater after all the locals had a laugh at my expense x

Know that pub quite well. Was selling an esky full of barramundi I had caught in the Keep River the weekend before, to the Mine Host when the local copper walked in...Sold him one, as well at $2/kg that was in the late 1960's

Cheers, Bobj.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...