New but untreated wood furniture - treat it and take it or get rid of it?

Pastmybest

Hi everyone, I'm moving to Oz in February and I'm trying to decide what to do with a piece of furniture. It's a new (only 2 months old) triple bunk bed made of solid pine wood. I think it's untreated so, in principle, I can't take it. Is it an option to treat it myself before shipping it? or should I just make it easy for myself and get rid of it?

Also, if I risked taking it untreated (but declared) and they inspected it and was ok, what happens?

Thanks!

4 hours ago, Pastmybest said:

I've sent an email to the manufacturer to check this, thanks! It doesn't feel "treated" to me, but it may well be. I'll update this thread when I find out.

4 hours ago, Pastmybest said:

I've sent an email to the manufacturer to check this, thanks! It doesn't feel "treated" to me, but it may well be. I'll update this thread when I find out.

Uness it is raw wood, with no treatmwnt at all so it still looks like part of a tree trunk, or you bought it in southeast asia and shoipped it straight home, you are fine

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

Hi, I thought I had already posted the reply from the manufacturer but I can't see it here now so posting it "again"(?). They replied:

"The finish is untreated, the product has been kiln dried to kill all species of bugs. It is just a natural timber. However you will need to seek clarification with the country,  We only use FSC certified timber. "

So it was originally treated for bugs, but not sure this counts as "treated" for Australian authorities as bugs could have got in it after that if there were any wood borer bugs in my house.

Any thoughts?

Thanks.

You are over thinking this. The answer to the untreated wood question on the form is “no”. 

Woodworm is another matter, treated or untreated wood with visible signs of worm (tiny holes) must be treated. Unlikely you have this. 

Same with feathers in duvets etc. they are treated and fine.  The peacock feather picked up from the wood isn’t.