register-now-button_orig.png
and join in with discussions   
ask migration questions
message other members

..and much much more!

Tink

Cashless society

I’m used to keeping my money under the mattress 

but recently I’ve had to open bank accounts , pay bills on line instead of at the post office , use a card instead of money 

how close are you to being cashless , do you prefer cards or cash ?

tbh I prefer cash to cards 

• Like 1

I still pay my bills at the post office.  These days I think I am in the minority but I don't give a hoot about that.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Tink said:

I’m used to keeping my money under the mattress 

but recently I’ve had to open bank accounts , pay bills on line instead of at the post office , use a card instead of money 

how close are you to being cashless , do you prefer cards or cash ?

tbh I prefer cash to cards 

Not sure if it’s safe to mention the chimney!!? We do everything on line or card, hardly ever use cash.

you are doing amazingly well Tink xM

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Cash for me. I have this weird saving habit whereby I throw my change into a big jar so I always pay by notes and never use coins to make it the correct change.................It's a nice little treat when I take that Jar to the suncorp coin machine and I get a receipt saying $1120. 65 cents ?

• Like 3

See my art here: https://kevindickinsonfineartphot.smugmug.com/

Copies free to PIO members. PM me for details.

Most companies like Telstra and Elctiricity and Gas will charge you extra $2 if you pay in cash.

I use card for everything.

I like it as I use software to track my spending and it is a lot easier to track what you spend if you have a record from your bank account. Cash you will forget what you spent it on.

• Like 3

I want it all, and I want it now.

never carry cash, everything card

• Like 1

Drinking rum before 11am does not make you an alcoholic, it makes you pirate..

3 minutes ago, Perthbum said:

never carry cash, everything card

Doesn't anyone give you tips at the pub ?

• Like 1

Card always, and online transactions. No need for cash. It also helps me control my spending and increases savings (for me - for others it tends to be the reverse - cards increase spending not savings!)

• Like 3

Doesn't anyone give you tips at the pub 

It is possible to do it electronically too ?
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, ssiri said:

Card always, and online transactions. No need for cash. It also helps me control my spending and increases savings (for me - for others it tends to be the reverse - cards increase spending not savings!)

I know my sons do the same as you and they are both pretty savvy savers.  I still prefer cash though.  Old fashioned I know but I'm fine with that.  

• Like 2

In all seriousness, I don't think I've carried cash for about 8 or 10 years.

11 hours ago, Johndoe said:

Cash for me. I have this weird saving habit whereby I throw my change into a big jar so I always pay by notes and never use coins to make it the correct change.................It's a nice little treat when I take that Jar to the suncorp coin machine and I get a receipt saying $1120. 65 cents ?

ING do this. Every time you pay by card it will round it up and dump it in your savings.  No trip to the bank needed.

I've been finding the only thing I need cash for is Bunnings sausage sizzle?

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Parley said:

Don’t eat yellow snow 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

9 hours ago, Parley said:

I put my small tips in the charity box, managers do not take a cut of the decent tips they are shared with the staff at the end of the shift.

Edited by Perthbum
  • Like 3

Drinking rum before 11am does not make you an alcoholic, it makes you pirate..

on a trip to China recently, a lot of retailers are refusing cash altogether.  It's all on wechat pay, tap and go.

• Like 1

"Nationalism is an infantile disease, it is the measles of mankind." Albert Einstein

•  

30 minutes ago, Slean Wolfhead said:

on a trip to China recently, a lot of retailers are refusing cash altogether.  It's all on wechat pay, tap and go.

Even the homeless people begging on the street have a tap and go machine.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

4 minutes ago, Parley said:

That’s not true , and a bit glib imo 

They are giving it a go in the UK.

The Big Issue says Britain's move towards a cashless society is contributing to declining sales as it trials contactless payments to help the homeless.

The magazine, which is sold by homeless people, has suffered as a result of people walking up and down Britain's high streets without coins and notes in their pockets, as they now rely on cards and mobile phones for payments.

Steven Robertson, chief executive of the Big Issue Foundation, said the charity is working with a number of mainstream banks and technology firms to install a cashless system which will be rolled out nationwide to let customers pay by tap-and-go technology.

The move will also give homeless people the chance to have a mainstream bank account, a facility they usually struggle to obtain due to not having a home address. 

• Like 1

I still prefer cash but find credit card scan and go to be easy. 

I know when we were first married we rsisted having credit cards as long as we could. It really helped keep track of what we had. I've always been a saver and won't spend anything on stuff I don't really need. My wife is different though and has more shoes than Imelda Marcos and a wardrobe full of clothes, some have never been worn. I don't think that's unusual for ladies btw but when we had cash in our wallets she could at least see when the wallet was getting empty.

With a credit card there's often no realisation on what's spent until the bill comes in. Specially with on line shopping too. Sure you can download apps to let you know but honestly, if you need an app you are already spending too much.

5 hours ago, Parley said:

you're missing the point. 

This was for things like buying a bottle of water at a kiosk...no cash handling whatsover.  So for foreigners, who haven't got chinese bank accounts and can't link to cashless payments, it makes it very difficult.  They don't like VISA or Mastercard over there, only in big hotels with lots of foreigners does it seem easy.

So what's the next step, bearing in mind your many crypto investments?

"Nationalism is an infantile disease, it is the measles of mankind." Albert Einstein

•  

They are giving it a go in the UK.
The Big Issue says Britain's move towards a cashless society is contributing to declining sales as it trials contactless payments to help the homeless.
The magazine, which is sold by homeless people, has suffered as a result of people walking up and down Britain's high streets without coins and notes in their pockets, as they now rely on cards and mobile phones for payments.
Steven Robertson, chief executive of the Big Issue Foundation, said the charity is working with a number of mainstream banks and technology firms to install a cashless system which will be rolled out nationwide to let customers pay by tap-and-go technology.
The move will also give homeless people the chance to have a mainstream bank account, a facility they usually struggle to obtain due to not having a home address. 

It’s good to see innovation in this area happening in the UK. Shame it took so long. In countries like Kenya, for farmers etc. who are similar in terms of no access to bank accounts etc. This style of initiative was undertaken at least a decade ago. Google MPESA (micro finance and branchless banking).
  • Haha 1