UK rental income - deductions in Australia

Chocci

I'm Australian, husband is British and we are planning to relocate back to Australia in a few years. We plan to rent out our principal place of residence and wondered what deductions would be available in Australia.  Its a Victorian terrace home and we renovated it extensively about 4 years ago but I'm guessing these renovations are not deductible as capital works since the building predates 1980s.  

Thank you

30 minutes ago, Chocci said:

Thanks Marisa, I am reading on the ATO website that the building has to be built after 1980s, does that sound right? The Victorian terrace was built a long time ago but we did a thorough refurb 4 years ago. 

There are two kinds of depreciation. One is on the fabric of the building, and I think that's what you're reading on the ATO site.  The other is for fixtures and fittings (sometimes called plant and equipment). Whether you can claim those is not affected by the age of the building they're in.

However I just did some browsing and I see there were changes to legislation in 2017 which reduces what you can claim for.  I haven't looked into it thoroughly but I'd suggest consulting a tax agent who knows the law in both the UK and Australia to ensure you maximise what you can claim. it will be worth the investment.