Before leaving for Australia should I come on a holiday working visa or a 801 temporary?

Hello all, 

im planning on moving to Australia to be with my partner around early December. I haven’t applied for any visa yet however I’m unsure if it’s best to come on the working holiday visa and apply for the 801 temporary while I’m there or apply for the 801 and come on that. 

Has anyone apply for the 801 very early into the working holiday visa? 

How long would it take to process? 

Thanks for the help! 

How long have you been in the relationship? The offshore partner visa is a 309/100 and processing times from London were very short at the beginning of the year but you're unlikely to get one before December, they're taking several months now - but you could put in your application and see, then delay your departure if necessary. Assuming you have all the requirements for proving the relationship of course.

If you're only recently into the relationship then it's an 820 onshore visa you would need not the 801 which is a permanent visa and usually only issued if you've been in a long term relationship, have  Aussie kids together etc. and processing time for that are kicking out to about 2 years at the moment. You can go on a WHV and as long as you have the evidence of relationship you can apply before your WHV expires and go onto a bridging visa then live in limbo for a couple of years. 

2 hours ago, Meg7 said:

Hello all, 

im planning on moving to Australia to be with my partner around early December. I haven’t applied for any visa yet however I’m unsure if it’s best to come on the working holiday visa and apply for the 801 temporary while I’m there or apply for the 801 and come on that. 

Has anyone apply for the 801 very early into the working holiday visa? 

How long would it take to process? 

Thanks for the help! 

You say you re moving to be with your parner, that suggests you are not already living together. You can't apply for  de facto Partner visa unless you have 12 months cohabitation at least  Have you been living together for 12 months of more?

It would be an 820 anyway, you would only go straight to an 801 if you have 3 years together, or 2 years with children. 

Edited by Nemesis

Thanks for the reply. 

Yes so we don’t live together at the moment, I work away but I plan on moving early December. I really want to be there before Christmas. 

Do you know how easy it is to apply for 820 the temporary visa on the working holiday visa. Could I apply pretty much straight away? 

If I go on a working holiday visa how long into that would I be able to apply for the 820. I’ve visited Australia in July but want to make the fully commitment and move there. 

Its very confusing when you’ve not done this before. 

@Nemesis thanks for the reply.

Been together roughly 12mouths by time December comes. I came to Australia in July to visit for 5weeks and have all the evidence I think we need. 

Would going on a working holiday visa work out best as I want to be there before Xmas and plan on booking my flight soon settled in for a few mouths and apply for the 820, which would apply be to have the temporary visa. 

Do you know if you can only apply when the working holiday visa runs out and goes into the 2nd year or I can apply a few mouths into the WHV? The sooner the better so I would be able to apply for stable work. 

31 minutes ago, Meg7 said:

@Nemesis thanks for the reply.

Been together roughly 12mouths by time December comes. I came to Australia in July to visit for 5weeks and have all the evidence I think we need. 

Would going on a working holiday visa work out best as I want to be there before Xmas and plan on booking my flight soon settled in for a few mouths and apply for the 820, which would apply be to have the temporary visa. 

Do you know if you can only apply when the working holiday visa runs out and goes into the 2nd year or I can apply a few mouths into the WHV? The sooner the better so I would be able to apply for stable work. 

You can apply as soon as you like, but you must be able to prove 12 months cohabitation. Thats not 12 months in a relationship, but 12 months of actually living together.

Have you been living together, in the same house/flat, for 12 months?

If you've not really been living together with joint accounts, joint rentals, meaning him in your will etc you're going to find it hard to evidence a 12 month cohabitation arrangement so if you go on a WHV you can spend your year building up evidence then apply towards the end of your WHV.  Onshore temporary visas (which is what you would then apply for) are taking around 2 years to process and you live in a bridging visa in the interim but that comes with restrictions.