Skilled migration early childhood educator

Sam16

Hi, 

I am new to the forum. 

Could anyone advice if I have to have experience working in a school to apply as an early childhood educator, please? Currently I am in the final year of early childhood education degree and have experience working in a Montessori for three years after obtaning early childhood diploma.

Please help.

Early childhood Teacher is on the list but to get a positive skills assessment you would need 4 years of university. 3yr Bachelor followed by one year PGCE which includes at least 45 days supervised teaching practice. 

Asesssments are carried out by AITSL so perhaps take a look at their website and factsheets.

• 3 weeks later...
On 21/09/2018 at 20:05, Jsmull87 said:

Early childhood Teacher is on the list but to get a positive skills assessment you would need 4 years of university. 3yr Bachelor followed by one year PGCE which includes at least 45 days supervised teaching practice. 

Asesssments are carried out by AITSL so perhaps take a look at their website and factsheets.

I run my own preschool & manage all task related to childcare centre manager  &  I  have a bachelor degree with 4 years in science - microbiology  now my question is 

can I eligible as childcare manager?  I run   from more than 5 years .Plz advice  or what should I do to elegible? Is there any way ?

Edited by MaggieMay24
Removed email

• 5 months later...
On 21/09/2018 at 19:35, Jsmull87 said:

Hi Jsmull87 ..just wondering do you know that if I already have diploma of early childhood and care and 3 years degree of early childhood teaching . both certifictate are got in Australia ..then do I still need to provide 7788 itelts score to pass the skill assessment ? thanks tons 

• 6 months later...

Hello,

My understanding is that i can get extra 5 points if i complete 1 year of experience in Australia. My question is how many hours per week will be considered a full time experience for early childhood educators?

According to a migration agent, 20 hours per week will suffice and will count as full time, but it is a bit strange, considering that for most occupations full time is equal to 40 hrs per week.

I could not find information about this on AITSL website. Can anyone help with advice or information?

Thanks in advance.

Di

1 hour ago, DianaK said:

Hello,

My understanding is that i can get extra 5 points if i complete 1 year of experience in Australia. My question is how many hours per week will be considered a full time experience for early childhood educators?

According to a migration agent, 20 hours per week will suffice and will count as full time, but it is a bit strange, considering that for most occupations full time is equal to 40 hrs per week.

I could not find information about this on AITSL website. Can anyone help with advice or information?

Thanks in advance.

Di

To get the points you need to be "employed in Australia in: (a)  the applicant’s nominated skilled occupation; or (b)  a closely related skilled occupation". "Employed" is defined as "engaged in an occupation for remuneration for at least 20 hours a week". This the legal definition for the points test; it is separate from AITSL's skills assessment,  which doesn't require experience beyond the supervised training.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, paulhand said:

To get the points you need to be "employed in Australia in: (a)  the applicant’s nominated skilled occupation; or (b)  a closely related skilled occupation". "Employed" is defined as "engaged in an occupation for remuneration for at least 20 hours a week". This the legal definition for the points test; it is separate from AITSL's skills assessment,  which doesn't require experience beyond the supervised training.

So even if  I’m studying full time, I can work 20 works per week and claim that as 1 year experience? I’m already a qualified early childhood graduate. And also would I need to get my degree accessed by any other boards other than AITSL? Before I start working ?

That would be a dangerous juggling act if you were on a student visa. You will likely need State registration to be able to teach - there's plenty of info on the AITSL website about onshore accreditation requirements state by state, which is separate to the migration skills assessment process.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, paulhand said:

That would be a dangerous juggling act if you were on a student visa. You will likely need State registration to be able to teach - there's plenty of info on the AITSL website about onshore accreditation requirements state by state, which is separate to the migration skills assessment process.

Yes, but I’m allowed to work 40 hours a fortnight on student visa.  I’m based in nsw and since I’ll be teaching in daycare/preschool do I still need to get registered with the state teaching board?

12 minutes ago, Areyousure said:

Yes, but I’m allowed to work 40 hours a fortnight on student visa.  I’m based in nsw and since I’ll be teaching in daycare/preschool do I still need to get registered with the state teaching board?

Yes - a very dangerous juggling act to hit the max of one condition to achieve the minimum for extra points. I wouldn't risk your student visa (or, for that matter, a future application) on this.

On your other question: https://www.aitsl.edu.au/prepare-to-be-a-teacher/become-a-registered-teacher

Edited by paulhand
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, paulhand said:

Yes - a very dangerous juggling act to hit the max of one condition to achieve the minimum for extra points. I wouldn't risk your student visa on this.

On your other question: https://www.aitsl.edu.au/prepare-to-be-a-teacher/become-a-registered-teacher

That’s true, but it’s something I definitely need, with the current system making it near impossible to get an invite. Does having a job offer/ working in that profession help with being invited by the state? I’m currently studying towards another qualification, once I receive this qualification, I would no longer work as a teacher, would this be an issue? But would use it to apply for my pr.