Orange, NSW

klr81

Hello all,

We might have the opportunity to move to Orange and I'm trying to find out the realities of living that far out from Sydney. We are not a city family, we like a weekend there occasionally but we are really looking for outdoor lifestyle, beautiful walks, access to good food - and seasons for my husband?

It looks to me like Orange has enough facilities and services to make it not a problem to b 4 hours out from Sydney, but looking to hear from those who live/ have lived there. We are currently weighing up a few areas in NSW and VIC.

Cheers!

Jx

I think you'd love Orange.  Australian country towns are often lacking in facilities, with high unemployment,  but Orange benefits from having a university and a tourist industry to keep its economy ticking over.   It definitely has seasons (it snows in winter).  

There's no doubt it's a small, sleepy town but if you're not looking for a bustling metropolis, it has everything you'd need.

Both Orange and Mudgee are popular destinations for Sydneysiders wanting to make a tree change. 

https://www.homely.com.au/orange-orange-central-west-new-south-wales

Edited by Marisawright
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 21/09/2018 at 09:05, klr81 said:

We might have the opportunity to move to Orange and I'm trying to find out the realities of living that far out from Sydney.

Personally I hate Orange, as always find it full of redneck youth.

But that is just my opinion.

Otherwise, it has all the facilities you could possibly need. And would probably be quite a nice lifestyle.

And if you like good food, then there is a great restaurant there called Lolli Redini -  it is the best thing about Orange 

If I was to live in country NSW, I would choose to live in Mudgee

On 07/10/2018 at 10:33, Tootsie said:

Personally I hate Orange, as always find it full of redneck youth.

But that is just my opinion.

Otherwise, it has all the facilities you could possibly need. And would probably be quite a nice lifestyle.

And if you like good food, then there is a great restaurant there called Lolli Redini -  it is the best thing about Orange 

If I was to live in country NSW, I would choose to live in Mudgee

Mudgee used to be on my country run back in the 80’s.  I hear it’s changed a lot.  

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 years later...

Hi,

We are planning to relocate and looking to rent or buy a house in Orange, NSW next month. We live in WA and its impossible to do a short weekend trip and check out the area due to the Covid situation. I have heard that there are places to avoid especially Glenroi and Bowen. But some say those places are now cleared of trouble makers  and especially Bowen has new housing estates coming up. Can someone please recommend some good areas that I should short list or areas to avoid. I have already checked on www.homely.com but those replies/recommendations are somewhat old.

Cheers,

We did move to Orange in the end and lived there for 18 months. We enjoyed it and only moved due to better work opportunities that arose in Vic. Glenroi was an area we were advised to steer clear of and my husband worked with tradies who would only do jobs in pairs in certain areas there. Didn't really know much about Bowen. It's a pretty well resourced town for its location and has lots of lovely community events that attract Sydneysiders such as the Food and Wine festivals. If you're in to wine you'll be spoilt for choice with many beautiful wineries and some with great restaurants. We sometimes felt a bit claustrophobic - there are some nice surrounding small towns and villages but not much else. Sometimes the distance to Sydney felt a really long way. It's about a 4 hour drive and whilst there are flights they can be pricey. Train takes about 5 hours depending on the route.  Happy to answer any other specific questions you have :)

• Like 1

10 hours ago, klr81 said:

We did move to Orange in the end and lived there for 18 months. We enjoyed it and only moved due to better work opportunities that arose in Vic. Glenroi was an area we were advised to steer clear of and my husband worked with tradies who would only do jobs in pairs in certain areas there. Didn't really know much about Bowen. It's a pretty well resourced town for its location and has lots of lovely community events that attract Sydneysiders such as the Food and Wine festivals. If you're in to wine you'll be spoilt for choice with many beautiful wineries and some with great restaurants. We sometimes felt a bit claustrophobic - there are some nice surrounding small towns and villages but not much else. Sometimes the distance to Sydney felt a really long way. It's about a 4 hour drive and whilst there are flights they can be pricey. Train takes about 5 hours depending on the route.  Happy to answer any other specific questions you have 🙂

Hi Klr81, thanks so much for taking time to reply. I was thinking of first renting and then observing the area before making a deposit for a purchase. But the rents are quite pricy these days and the houses are grabbed so quickly. I wonder if it’s bcos the university is starting for the new batches from mid February and also if people are moving these days due to the new school year. Or in your opinion has the rental market always been in demand?? 

I think it's been pricey for a while. It has very much been marketing itself as the perfect 'tree change' destination and there are lots of people who have relocated from Sydney. Compared to those prices they can get a lot for their money! Also there are a lot of heritage style properties that go for a high price. With the university and new hospital being there, there are plenty of young people/professionals looking for rentals so there is high rental demand. We bought land there (which we still have), but about 10km out of Orange and that was a good price but mainly because it's not suitable farm land.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Bear2015 said:

. I was thinking of first renting and then observing the area before making a deposit for a purchase. But the rents are quite pricy these days and the houses are grabbed so quickly

In my experience, rentals have always been hard to find in country towns and cities, and they've always been expensive. 

The reason is that in Australia, investors buy property for capital growth.   Historically, property in the big cities has shown great capital growth whereas in the country, there's been little or none. So if investors do buy in the country, they charge higher rents as that's their only chance at profit.  Plus, of course, scarcity means higher rents too.

The current interest in tree changing/remote working is causing a big spike in interest on top of that.

Edited by Marisawright
  • Thanks 1

On 06/02/2021 at 04:36, Marisawright said:

In my experience, rentals have always been hard to find in country towns and cities, and they've always been expensive. 

The reason is that in Australia, investors buy property for capital growth.   Historically, property in the big cities has shown great capital growth whereas in the country, there's been little or none. So if investors do buy in the country, they charge higher rents as that's their only chance at profit.  Plus, of course, scarcity means higher rents too.

The current interest in tree changing/remote working is causing a big spike in interest on top of that.

Thanks Marisa,

That makes sense. I will have to be more proactive with my decision making.😀

• 11 months later...
On 21/09/2018 at 09:05, klr81 said:

We might have the opportunity to move to Orange

I know this is an older post. But I was just reading about Orange yesterday, and it sounds like a lovely place to live. Loads of festivals, cafes, restaurants, wineries. I visited Orange and Mudgee about 15 years ago, and at that time much preferred Mudgee. But think another trip to Orange may be in order soon. 

19 minutes ago, BeachBabe2022 said:

I know this is an older post. But I was just reading about Orange yesterday, and it sounds like a lovely place to live. Loads of festivals, cafes, restaurants, wineries. I visited Orange and Mudgee about 15 years ago, and at that time much preferred Mudgee. But think another trip to Orange may be in order soon. 

Do post and let us know what it's like now, if you get there.  It must be 10 years since I was there.  At the time, Mudgee was more trendy, and it was a lovely place for tourists, but I thought Orange would be a better place to live as it's got more amenities, better shops etc.  it had some great restaurants too.

45 minutes ago, Marisawright said:

Do post and let us know what it's like now, if you get there.  It must be 10 years since I was there.  At the time, Mudgee was more trendy, and it was a lovely place for tourists, but I thought Orange would be a better place to live as it's got more amenities, better shops etc.  it had some great restaurants too.

Yes. That was my impression too. I liked Mudgee, as it was a destination for tourists. But Orange would have been better for daily living, as more amenities. Will be interesting to see if much has changed in the past 10 - 15 years. Actually keen to visit Charred Kitchen & Bar, as it won a Hat in the Good Food Guide last year, and it will be interesting to sample their regional menu. My stomach will propel me to all sorts of far flung places in search of good food and wine.

• Like 1

Orange freezing winters but far worse in my opinion is the problem with drugs. Hardly alone in this respect among smaller cities in Australia, but something to keep in mind for those with any interest with the state of play in too much of Australia over recent times. 

• Haha 1

33 minutes ago, Blue Flu said:

Orange freezing winters but far worse in my opinion is the problem with drugs. Hardly alone in this respect among smaller cities in Australia, but something to keep in mind for those with any interest with the state of play in too much of Australia over recent times. 

Goodness Blue Flu, the way you go on about drugs. you'd think there was no problem in the UK at all and people moving from there will get a terrible shock at the difference. 

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Marisawright said:

Goodness Blue Flu, the way you go on about drugs. you'd think there was no problem in the UK at all and people moving from there will get a terrible shock at the difference. 

My home country of Scotland continues to have the highest rate of drug use/deaths in Europe.  

• Like 1

On 22/01/2022 at 08:19, Marisawright said:

Probably because of its intensity and inability (powerless)to curtail it all around me .I just wish I could give you the enormity of the issue and some tips on how it is done, but I have been in touch with others who share an inkling into what is happening across Australia. Orange is one place, among many with issues concerning this. I'm amazed just how many outwardly appearing 'respectable' people are engaged in this . Oh an age not a barrier.

On 22/01/2022 at 08:59, Toots said:

My home country of Scotland continues to have the highest rate of drug use/deaths in Europe.  

Yes quite correct. Scotland does not to any extent have a meth problem, though from my understanding. Nor does UK in general. I hope those Back packers engaging in it don't take their acquired ' skill set' back in the home country.