Officer, Berwick, Pakenham

klr81

Hello all

Hoping for some help. I may have a job opportunity in the above area and I'm looking for some advice. I've read around a bit and can see that these areas are very much satellite towns with perhaps not much about them, but I'm interested in the realities of living there. It wouldn't be our 'forever home' just a stepping stone. Whilst access to the city occasionally will be nice, it's not our priority. Weekends we would want some coastal time or green areas for walking. I'm also wondering about local facilities - shopping, kids' parks, decent places to eat etc?

Any help would be appreciated.

Jx

The older parts of Berwick are nice, with a train link to the city and shops available locally. I personally don’t like big, new estates so Pakenham, Officer and the newer bit of Berwick don’t appeal. But they will offer lots of rental options for you as lots of these new houses are let out. 

Narre Warren South is ok, but less so Narre Warren!

Don’t like Cranbourne, bit rough, but has lots of shops and amenities.

Depends what you like. You can get to the beach quite easily from Berwick and up into the hills, wineries etc as well. Certainly worse places to live!

There is a huge amount of building going on in that general area, filling in all the fields and suburbs are now pretty much joined up. Not for me, but as a starting point would be fine, you might like it, depends on what you want.

• Like 1

Thanks for this. What has been said so far matches up with what I have read on other sites. Therefore I don't think I'll be going in with any unrealistic expectations. During the working week I am very busy in my job, so could be working anywhere in the world and I would know! However if at weekends and in the school holidays, if we have access to nice things to do within a decent drive, that will be fine initially.

Cheers!

On 21 September 2018 at 08:31, klr81 said:

Hello all

Hoping for some help. I may have a job opportunity in the above area and I'm looking for some advice. I've read around a bit and can see that these areas are very much satellite towns with perhaps not much about them, but I'm interested in the realities of living there. It wouldn't be our 'forever home' just a stepping stone. Whilst access to the city occasionally will be nice, it's not our priority. Weekends we would want some coastal time or green areas for walking. I'm also wondering about local facilities - shopping, kids' parks, decent places to eat etc?

Any help would be appreciated.

Jx

Officer and Pakenham are full of new build suburbia, lots of building works on new estates and is one of Melbournes fastest growing areas, huge population growth and lots of migrant communities have settled here.  The new estates in Berwick are also the same, esp along the Berwick-Cranbourne Road. The older village side of Berwick is very lovely but you pay a premium for living there as a result. Easy access down to the beach at Frankston, and the other way up into the Hills to lovely townships like Emerald, etc.  All three have good infrastructure links to the city, rail and road, although Melbourne traffic is somewhat horrendous so choose as best as possible with regard to commute.  Lots of places to eat and play, massive shopping centre at Narre Warren (Westfield Fountaingate) with lots of satellite/smaller shopping centres about. Also good weekly market at Dandenong which isn't that far away. Both Cardinia and Casey Councils are very progressive, and investing heavily in citizen infrastructure, to support their huge growth corridors. 

Edited by Beffers
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...