Buying flights home through UK company?

Bumblebee

Guest The Pom Queen

There are no issues as far as I’m aware. In fact a lot of people, take a one way to the UK then purchase a return from there as it works out cheaper if they travel back a lot.

9 minutes ago, Marisawright said:

No issue IF you are departing from the country where the ticket was sourced. I know people who have run into trouble when a UK relative bought them a flight from Australia 

So if I pay the UK company from Australia that'd work, but if my dad in UK pays UK company for a ticjeyt for me it might be a problem? Or if I'm in Australia I might have problem sourcing from a UK travel agent full stop?

2 hours ago, Bumblebee said:

So if I pay the UK company from Australia that'd work, but if my dad in UK pays UK company for a ticjeyt for me it might be a problem? Or if I'm in Australia I might have problem sourcing from a UK travel agent full stop?

Buying from a UK company isn't the issue. The problem comes with the payment, and for that you must check the small print on the ticket you want to buy.  Some airlines will only accept payment from a credit card held in the name of the passenger or a person included in the group flying, and may ask to see the payment card when you check in. I don't think its as common as it used to be, but I believe some airines may still do it. If its a requirement, it will be in the small print on the websiite when you choose your ticket. 

My husband flew Singapore Airlines to the UK a couple of years back, I paid for the flight and I had to go with him to check i as tey wanted to see my card

And there's no real pricing advantage in buying a single ticket via a UK travel agent or online site vs an Australian one.

Pricing for a single flight from Melbourne to London will be in Australian dollars. If you buy that ticket in the UK the price will be the AUD price converted to UKP. Or if you bought the same ticket in Timbuktu it would be the AUD price converted to Timbuktu currency. 

Pricing for the reverse single flight London to Melbourne may well be cheaper but you won't be paying that. 

Any advantage you get price-wise will only be due to the UK travel agent cutting their commission for you.

Edited by NickyNook

3 hours ago, Bumblebee said:

So if I pay the UK company from Australia that'd work, but if my dad in UK pays UK company for a ticjeyt for me it might be a problem?

Actually the other way around would be a problem.  If you live in Australia and try to buy a plane ticket from a UK company, you'll usually find that you can't.  If you pretend you're a UK resident in order to buy the flight, you may find you can't get on the plane.  

And on reflection, I think that was the issue with the family in question.  They got a friend to book it in the UK, pretending they lived at his address, and that was why they had a problem.

If I'm understanding your situation correctly, you're getting a corporate travel consultant to book a flight on your behalf in the same way they book flights on behalf of company employees, so it's likely to all be fine.