Age pension

jessie123000

Come to Australia In1982 husband is now 66 but not yet taking pension due to having been in car accident  four years ago and still to go through courts, if he gets payout I realise that he won't be eligible for pension till a qualifying time.I am on a small pay of $720 a week and may be made redundant, I would receive about $40.000 in pay out which would last us a year. Would I be able to claim new start after a qualifying time and do volunteer work I am 64 years old and would I be able to leave my super fund where it is or would I be expected to live of it. 

Hi Jessie

To try and answer your question, if a person is under Age Pension age then typically any money in Superannuation is invisible (so to speak) to Centrelink.

However as soon as the person becomes of Age Pension age it is then assessed OR if (even if under Age Pension age) it is moved to an income stream.

None of the above I have said should stop you applying for Newstart but of course it will depend on your income/asset position as to whether you receive anything.

Also you may have to wait for about 13 weeks due to any liquid assets/savings you have: https://www.humanservices.gov.au/individuals/enablers/liquid-assets-waiting-period/28631 .

Hope this helps.

Regards

Andy