Claiming Benefits in the UK??

Pingpongpom69

Hi

I am considering returning to the UK with my son in the near future.  I understand there is an initial waiting period of 3 months before being able to claim any benefits.  Is this back paid at all?  I would have ample funds to support us but trying to get an idea of things.

Also, as a single parent is it likely that I would receive any family benefits and rental assistance - do they look after you or are you on your own?  I always worked when I lived there but now as a parent things are so different.  I really have no idea where to start so thought it might be good to ask here.

• Like 1

I really do think you have to assume you're on your own at least initially.

I was advised to apply for Universal Credit on behalf of my son (who has a disability). At the time of claiming we were in the country less than 3 months and his claim was denied based on residence. I'll reapply after a while but I've assumed that I need to support the both of us for at least 2 years.

I'm not sure where you get the waiting period of 3 months from. Maybe there are different rules for parents with young children. I know when my brother anb his family moved back a few years ago they were able to claim benefits straight away but I think things have tightened up a lot since then.

We had to apply for disability living allowance for our son and weren’t awarded it as we didn’t meet the 3 year residency requirement.  We had continued to pay tax in the UK whilst in Oz but that was deemed irrelevant.  I can’t comment any further as I don’t know the full rules but as the government are systematically tightening the controls on benefits for people already living here I would suggest you err on the side of caution.