Primary school teacher moving back

Dasha_Dee

Hi everyone,

I've been in Aus for nearly ten years, and in about a year and a half I'll graduate with my primary school teaching degree. I'm very, very seriously considering going home after I graduate, but I was just wondering if there was anyone with any advice on what it's like being a primary teacher in England (particularly Lancashire, where I'm from and where I'll go back to). Also, how difficult is it to get a job as a NQ primary teacher, especially if you've graduated from an Australian university?

I'm going home in two weeks for a holiday, and I absolutely cannot wait. I'm hoping that it 'scratches the itch' for a little while, and then I can to talk to my partner about us moving to the UK. I made the decision last night once and for all that, regardless of if she wants to come with me, I have to go home. I'm sick of feeling like half a person here, like I'm always censoring who I am and feeling 'half a beat' off the rhythm of Australia. It feels good to know that no matter what, I'm going home in a couple of years.

Thanks all

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 18/9/2018 at 20:46, Dasha_Dee said:

Hi everyone,

I've been in Aus for nearly ten years, and in about a year and a half I'll graduate with my primary school teaching degree. I'm very, very seriously considering going home after I graduate, but I was just wondering if there was anyone with any advice on what it's like being a primary teacher in England (particularly Lancashire, where I'm from and where I'll go back to). Also, how difficult is it to get a job as a NQ primary teacher, especially if you've graduated from an Australian university?

I'm going home in two weeks for a holiday, and I absolutely cannot wait. I'm hoping that it 'scratches the itch' for a little while, and then I can to talk to my partner about us moving to the UK. I made the decision last night once and for all that, regardless of if she wants to come with me, I have to go home. I'm sick of feeling like half a person here, like I'm always censoring who I am and feeling 'half a beat' off the rhythm of Australia. It feels good to know that no matter what, I'm going home in a couple of years.

Thanks all

https://www.theguardian.com/education/2018/oct/05/tories-and-labour-both-to-blame-for-driving-our-teachers-away

https://www.theguardian.com/education/2018/oct/04/teacher-crisis-hits-london-as-nearly-half-quit-within-five-years

You might want to consider these as part of your decision making.

A couple of years may feel like a long time but it's not that long in the scheme of things, and you'll have a qualification you can use when you get home.

There's lots of doom and gloom about work for primary teachers in the UK, but then there's doom and gloom about job prospects in  Australia too, so i wouldn't take it too seriously.  it does depend where you settle, too.

Have you got your citizenship?   Whether or not you feel you could ever live in Australia long-term, with an Australian partner I'd advise getting it, to give you freedom of movement.

• 4 weeks later...

The doom and gloom concerning teaching in the UK, is pressure and stress related plus poor pay. I know many teachers who would like to leave but have families and having to give a terms notice they can't arrange new jobs outside of teaching. I get emails nearly daily from agencies trying to entice me back to the UK education system. No thanks!

If you are happy to teach in a less desirable inner city, jobs will be easier to come by. Leafy suburbs will always be challenging as that is where everyone would like to work and competition fierce. There is a shortage of teachers in the UK now so now is a good time to consider from that point of view.