Resident Return Visa and Citizenship

jb213

Hi everyone

I am an Aus permanent resident and have applied for citizenship. I have a citizenship test at the beginning of October but am pretty sure that my local council doesn’t have a ceremony until next Jan at the earliest so won’t be a citizen until then (providing I pass the test!) and then I’d have to apply for a passport before I could travel. The problem is I want to go away for a month in December and the 5 year travel condition of my permanent residency expires at the end of October. This wouldn’t be an issue if I wasn’t planning on going away before I got citizenship but if I do I think I will need a resident return visa which costs $350ish. The annoying thing is I’ll only need it for about a month!

So my question is does anyone know of a bridging visa or another option while I’m in between my citizenship test and ceremony and not quite a citizen, or do I have to get a resident return visa?

Thanks!

30 minutes ago, jb213 said:

Hi everyone

I am an Aus permanent resident and have applied for citizenship. I have a citizenship test at the beginning of October but am pretty sure that my local council doesn’t have a ceremony until next Jan at the earliest so won’t be a citizen until then (providing I pass the test!) and then I’d have to apply for a passport before I could travel. The problem is I want to go away for a month in December and the 5 year travel condition of my permanent residency expires at the end of October. This wouldn’t be an issue if I wasn’t planning on going away before I got citizenship but if I do I think I will need a resident return visa which costs $350ish. The annoying thing is I’ll only need it for about a month!

So my question is does anyone know of a bridging visa or another option while I’m in between my citizenship test and ceremony and not quite a citizen, or do I have to get a resident return visa?

Thanks!

You will have to get a RRV. There's no other option if you want to travel.