Feeling torn and unsettled

Pingpongpom69

Good to hear you had a great time and hopefully negotiations are going well for your whole family to move back next year.  I guess it was a gamble that your DH took - in his mind, no doubt he was hoping you would fail but your experiences were much like mine!  Hang in there, the time will come (and good to hear that your son had a great time in school there too!)

• Like 1

On 21/03/2020 at 14:57, Pingpongpom69 said:

**UPDATE**

My son and I returned from the UK a month ago after an amazing 8 months in the Midlands. We were lucky enough to secure a house sit via a friend who was travelling in Oz, which thankfully kept costs to a minimum, making the whole experience doable.

My son attended school there and loved it.  During the summer school holidays and weekends we'd hop on a bus or train (I didn't bother with hiring a car) and we explored the area - Chesterfield, Bakewell & Matlock in the Peak District, Southwell, Newark on Trent, Ashbourne, Lincoln and visited Chatsworth House (Summer fair/Christmas markets), Bolsover Castle, Newstead Abbey, Heights of Abraham, Sherwood Forest and many more.  So many beautiful places to visit ...and a gentle climate to be able to enjoy it in. 

We absolutely loved the whole experience and the change of seasons were such a refreshing change. The summer was perfect and even though the autumn was very wet it was still lovely to see the changing colours and then enjoy the build up to a magical Christmas and catch a glimpse of spring before we left.  It has cemented in my mind that I need to live there permanently for my peace of mind. I just love how everything is within easy reach, and there are countless things to see and do, as opposed to the sense of isolation I feel here...and did I mention the gentle climate 😃  The school was incredible compared to what my son has experienced here - a much higher standard and quantity of work was produced...and expected.  I've had the conversation with my partner about how important this is for me and he has come to realise that my feelings aren't going to change.  For now, we're staying put for the next 12 months with a view to heading back hopefully next year 🤞    

I'm from Chesterfield originally and my first serious girlfriend from Matlock. Spent heaps of time in places you mention, used to bike to Chatsworth often and swim in the river if it was warm enough, not very often.

Have you ever considered Perth? We don't get the humidity and if you live near a beach you generally get a nice sea breeze. I've been very happy with the schools my kids went to, one has autism and the school and support for it has been good. He has a job in a local cafe that he loves. 

There are places in Aus that I couldn't live but it's such a big place with different climates, way of life that the choices are immense.

Whilst I remember the good things about Chesterfield, Derbyshire and the UK I also remember months of crap weather, fog, drizzle and felt when we left in 92 that it was overcrowded. We struggled to afford an end terraced 2 up 2 down that you couldn't swing a cat in when I lived near Manchester, before we emigrated. Came here and bought a 4x2, 5 mins from a glorious beach for about the same price.

Obviously if you really hate the sun, aren't bothered about the beach and ocean then the UK might suit you. I know the highlight of our year when we were schoolkids was going to the coast for our 2 weeks. Even if it was Skegness or Rhyll miners staff camps.

Paul (above) works for the Perth tourist board (in his mind) and won't be happy until everyone in the world lives there and puts it in writing how much they love the place. Also, he (or someone he knows) has done everything you have done and it's not as good as being in Perth. So, you may as well just move there. Hope that helps.

Edited by s713
  • Like 3
  • Haha 3

7 hours ago, Paul1Perth said:

I'm from Chesterfield originally and my first serious girlfriend from Matlock. Spent heaps of time in places you mention, used to bike to Chatsworth often and swim in the river if it was warm enough, not very often.

Have you ever considered Perth? We don't get the humidity and if you live near a beach you generally get a nice sea breeze. I've been very happy with the schools my kids went to, one has autism and the school and support for it has been good. He has a job in a local cafe that he loves. 

There are places in Aus that I couldn't live but it's such a big place with different climates, way of life that the choices are immense.

Whilst I remember the good things about Chesterfield, Derbyshire and the UK I also remember months of crap weather, fog, drizzle and felt when we left in 92 that it was overcrowded. We struggled to afford an end terraced 2 up 2 down that you couldn't swing a cat in when I lived near Manchester, before we emigrated. Came here and bought a 4x2, 5 mins from a glorious beach for about the same price.

Obviously if you really hate the sun, aren't bothered about the beach and ocean then the UK might suit you. I know the highlight of our year when we were schoolkids was going to the coast for our 2 weeks. Even if it was Skegness or Rhyll miners staff camps.

I'm also from Derbyshire, currently living near Bakewell, and as Pingpompom69, we also love lots of things about life in the UK.

We lived in Perth for 28 years and LOVED it, fabulous place, and the only reason we packed up and left was to do some travelling and live in the UK for a bit to spend time with relatives.

But, our plan is to return to Australia as soon as this CV issue has settled, and this time we're off to Queensland, for a change. 

Good luck Pingpongpom69.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AliQ said:

I'm also from Derbyshire, currently living near Bakewell, and as Pingpompom69, we also love lots of things about life in the UK.

We lived in Perth for 28 years and LOVED it, fabulous place, and the only reason we packed up and left was to do some travelling and live in the UK for a bit to spend time with relatives.

But, our plan is to return to Australia as soon as this CV issue has settled, and this time we're off to Queensland, for a change. 

Good luck Pingpongpom69.

Thanks AliQ.  Hope you like the humidity as Queensland has plenty 😰

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Paul1Perth said:

I detest the heat Paul, I really do and would rather get rugged up in layers any day, just feel more alive in a cool climate.  And I'd rather shady ancient woods than blistering beaches for my fair skin.  But I will visit Perth one day soon to see what it's all about. 

• Like 2

On 23/03/2020 at 09:34, Quoll said:

Good to hear you had a great time and hopefully negotiations are going well for your whole family to move back next year.  I guess it was a gamble that your DH took - in his mind, no doubt he was hoping you would fail but your experiences were much like mine!  Hang in there, the time will come (and good to hear that your son had a great time in school there too!)

Thanks Quoll, I guess we were both wondering if I'd get it out of my system but sometimes there comes a time when you just know where you have to be. Lots to plan and with the current situation it gives me plenty of time at least. 

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, Pingpongpom69 said:

I detest the heat Paul, I really do and would rather get rugged up in layers any day, just feel more alive in a cool climate.  And I'd rather shady ancient woods than blistering beaches for my fair skin.  But I will visit Perth one day soon to see what it's all about. 

Please do visit Perth before you leave, it really is a lovely place 😊

2 hours ago, Pingpongpom69 said:

Sounds like Tasmania is your Australian spot!!

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Pingpongpom69 said:

Fair enough. If that's what you're happy with you would be better of living in the UK. 

13 hours ago, Marisawright said:

It's as nice as many other cities.   I wouldn't choose to live there, but then everybody is different.   I'm sure Paul would hate to live in Sydney or Melbourne.  

No I wouldn't hate it, I like Sydney a lot and could just about put up with Melbourne. I would need at least twice as much income though to have the same lifestyle I do here. That's if it's even possible as there's too many people in both cities. I like Brisbane but good beaches are too far away, Brisbane is a nice city though.

I think I could easily settle in anywhere near the coast. I love Townsville and been lucky enough to visit lots of places on work visits. The only place I reckon we would have struggled with near the coast is Darwin. I've been there in June and July though and it was nice then. Pity you can't just go for a swim in the ocean  like you can here though.

Anywhere away from the coast I wouldn't fancy. I've been to Kalgoorlie a lot when we first came to Aus when I had a job working on mine sites. It held nothing that I liked and thought if I'd been sent there with the family when we came we would have been on a flight back in a week.

There are lots of places where I'm sure we would have liked though.

17 hours ago, AliQ said:

Good luck Pingpongpom69.

Loved the Sunshine Coast when we visited. Noosa is gorgeous and there's lots of places we could live and have a great lifestyle. If you don't have to worry about work it's a brilliant choice.

Good luck with your move, great choice.

We are lucky here with the CV handling at the moment. Been down the beach this morning for a ski paddle with friends and there are a lot of people down there. People are keeping their distance though, the cafes are open for takeaway only but there's plenty of customers getting it and taking their cups to the park where they can have space. Funnily enough I booked golf for Friday a few days ago and it's still open.

Might be further clampdowns even here though soon. Rottnest has been set aside for quaranteening CV sufferers. We have 3 cruise ships sat off Fremantle with cases on board. The government have already said that they won't be allowed to dock but Australian citizens who really need medical treatment will be treated. Looks like they'll be shipped off to Rotto.

5 hours ago, Paul1Perth said:

Loved the Sunshine Coast when we visited. Noosa is gorgeous and there's lots of places we could live and have a great lifestyle. If you don't have to worry about work it's a brilliant choice.

Good luck with your move, great choice.

We are lucky here with the CV handling at the moment. Been down the beach this morning for a ski paddle with friends and there are a lot of people down there. People are keeping their distance though, the cafes are open for takeaway only but there's plenty of customers getting it and taking their cups to the park where they can have space. Funnily enough I booked golf for Friday a few days ago and it's still open.

Might be further clampdowns even here though soon. Rottnest has been set aside for quaranteening CV sufferers. We have 3 cruise ships sat off Fremantle with cases on board. The government have already said that they won't be allowed to dock but Australian citizens who really need medical treatment will be treated. Looks like they'll be shipped off to Rotto.

Thanks Paul, yes, we are really keen to get back and The Sunshine Coast will be our next home.

In the meantime, stay safe and well 😊

• Thanks 1