a few practical questions - getting ready for the move

swc132994

Hello

After nearly 5-years of waiting, we are finally ready for the big move. Our house is on the market and hopefully it gets sold before our move in mid November. We will be staying in an airbnb till after Christmas. Thanks for the forum, we will be using PSS for shipping our belongings. We opened the migrant account with commonwealth bank. 

1) cars: We are after a small, low maintenance car, something like vauxhall corsa or ford fiesta in the UK. We've seen fiesta online from ford garages in Brisbane, just wondering if anyone knows they fall in the low maintenance category there as well. We read that garages usually want to sell finance to customers but we are not interested in that. As such realistically how much would they be willing to  knock off the asking pricing if we haggle. 

2) houses: We noticed that a lot of the houses in Brisbane have external wood panelling. How often does it need to be treated? Also, we would be grateful if anybody could offer any tips or things need to be aware of when buying properties in greater Brisbane areas. What's to look out for etc. 

3) Sim only contracts: we will be taking our phones with us but just wondering what are generally good deals in the area. We read on the forum that people took out Aldi contracts? 

Thanks for your help

Steve

Most reliable cars in Australia are most definitely NOT Fords. They'd be near the bottom of the list.

Japanese made cars have the best reputations for reliability. We owned a Toyota Corolla for twenty years. We wanted to replace it because we were fed up with it but hung on to it for years because it refused to go wrong. We currently have a Subaru which is now 13 years old. Never, ever had the slightest thing go wrong with it, either.

Don't live in Brisbane so can't comment on houses there, but would agree that Aldi Mobile is excellent. It uses the Telstra network which has the most comprehensive coverage and there's no need to sign up for a contract if you don't want to. We're light mobile users and have Aldi Pay as you Go and it's perfect for us.

My son has used a Fiesta daily for work the last 3 years (1 hr each way, daily) ,he uses it and abuses it, has had it in a ditch on it's side and its never missed a beat, he as put diesel in it even though its petrol (cause thats what teens do) and its still being used daily, although smoked like a trooper till the diesel was run out ,lol. The amount of dints etc leaves the bodywork abit yakky but engine was its been invincible.

Ive had a Ford Ranger for 9 years and that too has never missed a beat, only thing ive replaced is tyres and battery, filters etc. If i count how many Mondeos, Fiestas etc we had in the UK i cannot fault them at all.

There is a big Holden Vs Ford thing over here which IMO is a bit silly but each to their own.

All garages will give you a discount for a cash sale, the amount will vary garage to garage so try shopping around. If either of you are clued up on cars you get some bargains on Gumtree or the Facebook marketplace.

Houses will vary suburb to suburb, some places have mainly the wooden queenslanders but lots of the newer estates are your normal brick houses. Just becareful with termites if you get wood.

Cal x

4 hours ago, swc132994 said:

2) houses: We noticed that a lot of the houses in Brisbane have external wood panelling. How often does it need to be treated? Also, we would be grateful if anybody could offer any tips or things need to be aware of when buying properties in greater Brisbane areas. What's to look out for etc. 

As above, beware of termites. Many old Queensland houses (not just Brisbane) are wooden. Those aren't just exterior panels you are looking at,they are the walls of the house. 

• Like 1

Thanks for the comments. 

We had a quick look at Corolla from Southside Toyota in Brisbane, a 2017 model for c$22k, not a bad price, so we will definitely consider it after we arrive in Brisbane. 

Could anyone recommend a reliable surveyor? We are hoping to purchase a property in Brisbane but if we get less from the sale of our property in the UK we are looking to buy in Jimboomba. Apparently they have reputable schools in the area. 

29 minutes ago, swc132994 said:

Thanks for the comments. 

We had a quick look at Corolla from Southside Toyota in Brisbane, a 2017 model for c$22k, not a bad price, so we will definitely consider it after we arrive in Brisbane. 

Could anyone recommend a reliable surveyor? We are hoping to purchase a property in Brisbane but if we get less from the sale of our property in the UK we are looking to buy in Jimboomba. Apparently they have reputable schools in the area. 

Seems like a reasonable price. They'll always budge on price. Ignore what people say one way or another about Holden or Ford. Plenty of used car lots in Brisbane, Chermside seems to have loads on Gympie road. 

Any of the building and pest inspection people will do the same job. Just price. I've always used inspectmyhome not for any particular reason. 

12 hours ago, swc132994 said:

Hello

After nearly 5-years of waiting, we are finally ready for the big move. Our house is on the market and hopefully it gets sold before our move in mid November. We will be staying in an airbnb till after Christmas. Thanks for the forum, we will be using PSS for shipping our belongings. We opened the migrant account with commonwealth bank. 

1) cars: We are after a small, low maintenance car, something like vauxhall corsa or ford fiesta in the UK. We've seen fiesta online from ford garages in Brisbane, just wondering if anyone knows they fall in the low maintenance category there as well. We read that garages usually want to sell finance to customers but we are not interested in that. As such realistically how much would they be willing to  knock off the asking pricing if we haggle. 

3) Sim only contracts: we will be taking our phones with us but just wondering what are generally good deals in the area. We read on the forum that people took out Aldi contracts? 

Thanks for your help

Steve

3) I would recommended Belong, it uses the Telstra network as well. It’s dirt cheap, with unlimited calls(including to UK).

https://www.belong.com.au/mobile/plans

Edited by Areyousure
  • Thanks 1

On 17/09/2018 at 02:14, Nemesis said:

As above, beware of termites. Many old Queensland houses (not just Brisbane) are wooden. Those aren't just exterior panels you are looking at,they are the walls of the house. 

Second this. My place was brick veneer. Termites ate 2 internal walls and 2 doorframes. Whole lot was like confetti. I was in Victoria. The frames of the houses are usually wood, so something to consider.

• Like 1

Thank you for all the input. I will certainly keep all of this in mind and will now be checking if the brick is actually just veneer, ideally I would be looking for a solid brick house since whenever I have read about termite infestations they are expensive to put right.

I had a look at the belong website, The prices are certainly reasonable.

Just now, swc132994 said:

Thank you for all the input. I will certainly keep all of this in mind and will now be checking if the brick is actually just veneer, ideally I would be looking for a solid brick house since whenever I have read about termite infestations they are expensive to put right.

I had a look at the belong website, The prices are certainly reasonable.

It’s just a part of living there tbh. Get a termite inspection before you buy and then if there is no certificate of treatment get a company to come out and do it asap. Most of them offer a guarantee with their service and do a regular check. Just need to be vigilant. I was slow recognising the signs. Luckily they didn’t head into anything structural.

We have had termites, it’s not the end of the world as long as it’s caught quickly.

As Amber said, you should have the house inspected before you buy. I would do this for peace of mind even if the vendor has had it done.    Even if you have your house protected tree roots can cause a break in the barrier.

We had a new barrier drilled in all round the house, and have annual pest inspections, sensible precautions as we are in a high risk area.

Another thing to consider is to buy a house with good cross airflow. Almost every room in our house has a window on 2 different walls, really helps to keep the house cool.

• Like 1

On 17/09/2018 at 16:44, swc132994 said:

Thanks for the comments. 

There is a few schools to choose from around here,,,,

Private you have Emmaus (catholic) and Hills both do prep to yr 12. A new private school is also being built out at Flagstone that will also do prep to yr 12 but it will be another year ro two before its open.

Public you have Jimboomba State school, Flagstone State school both do prep to yr 6 and there is Flagstone college (yr 7 - 12). Some also use Woodhill primary as its small with small class numbers. Park Ridge high and Beaudesert high are other schools some people use, these 3 are just out of Jimboomba so you would either drive or utilise the school buses.

My son started Flagstone primary at Yr 4 when we moved here, then moved out to the college across the road until he finished yr 12. My daughter started prep at Flagstone primary and is now coming to the end of yr 9 at the college. Ive no complaints about either school, although i have found some teachers better than others as in some are more willing to go that extra mile if needed.

Cal x

• Like 1