Adelaide v Gold Coast

Plumboz

Hi all, hoping for some information and opinions to help us make our minds up.

we lived in Adelaide for 2 years between 2010-2012 but returned to uk for personal reasons but are now returning to Oz in the early part of next year, although we have a choice due to job offers of either Adelaide again or Gold Coast, we are a family of 4 daughter is 16 and has just started sixth form here and son is 13.

TIA

30 minutes ago, Marisawright said:

I think if you liked Adelaide, go back to Adelaide.  If you didn't like Adelaide, give the Gold Coast a try.  People tend to assume all parts of Australia are very similar but they're not.    

I think the poster is asking for other people's opinions. 

I'm with @Marisawright on this one.  You have lived in Adelaide before and know what it is like.  If you are not desperate to return because you loved it there then I would be giving the Gold Coast a try.  The thing about asking for other people's opinions is they could be wildly different to yours.  Some people may love Adelaide and hate the Gold Coast, others will hate Adelaide and love the Gold Coast, some will love both and others will hate both.  I've only been on holiday to the Gold Coast and while I enjoyed the holiday I'm not sure I would want to live there.  

I'd also be considering climate.  Adelaide and the Gold Coast have very different climates.  You have experienced the climate in Adelaide already so you know how well (or otherwise) you cope with it.  How would you feel about the climate on the Gold Coast.  

• Like 2

Thanks again for all your replies, but really wanted to hear from anyone who has relocated from Adelaide, their reasons and their findings and of course anyone who has relocated to Adelaide from other parts of Oz and try and make a bit of a comparison, it’s always nice to hear why people like or dislike an area, and I can then decide if I agree or disagree with that point.

thanks again

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Plumboz said:

really wanted to hear from anyone who has relocated from Adelaide, their reasons and their findings and of course anyone who has relocated to Adelaide from other parts of Oz

It's a long shot, because my observations on these forums is that if British migrants don't like the first city they arrive in, they don't often bother to try another one - they just head home.  The only exception I've noticed is people moving out of Sydney because they can't afford it.  So I doubt you'll find anyone who moved between Adelaide and GC.

Adelaide gets very hot but it's a dry heat so it's a lot more comfortable.  Gold Coast is less extreme heat but it's very humid so (for me at least) it's a lot more difficult to deal with.  Job prospects in both areas are not great, but if you live on the Gold Coast you could commute to Brisbane.   House prices more expensive on the Gold Coast than Adelaide, I think.

Maybe if you share what you're hoping will be better about the Gold Coast, Gold Coast residents can tell you whether you're right or not.

Edited by Marisawright

On 16/09/2018 at 22:03, Marisawright said:

I think if you liked Adelaide, go back to Adelaide.  If you didn't like Adelaide, give the Gold Coast a try.  People tend to assume all parts of Australia are very similar but they're not.    

Not similar at all.  The biggest mistake Poms make about Australia

• Like 1

On 18/09/2018 at 08:02, Plumboz said:

Thanks again for all your replies, but really wanted to hear from anyone who has relocated from Adelaide, their reasons and their findings and of course anyone who has relocated to Adelaide from other parts of Oz and try and make a bit of a comparison, it’s always nice to hear why people like or dislike an area, and I can then decide if I agree or disagree with that point.

thanks again

we relocated to Adelaide from Sydney,   it did not work out.  10 years in SYD then 3.5 in Adelaide,  could not wait to get out of the place.

7 hours ago, Plumboz said:

What was it that you disliked, most people say it’s too cold in the winter, I personally worry about restricting opportunities for my kids in Adelaide or am I wrong? It’s kinda why I ask for others opinions, where did you end up?

restrictive opportunities for the kids, is exactly the reason we left adelaide, but in essence it's too parochial, very small minded and restrictive,  very thin labour market and nepotistic/Cronyism barriers to entry , general mediocrity in the main, massive resistance to change from incumbent employees who underperform at an astonishing level, quite an alarming youth (and professionals) exodus from the state which then exacerbates the lack of creativity and change appetite.  as some people are fond of saying about adelaide  "its not what you know, its who you know"  and this sums the place up,  similar to many small and remote places I guess, it's very common for secret and the old  "commercial in confidence"  deals done by local councils and the state government, infact they became a laughing stock about it,  in short we found it unsuitable for our family.   

Plenty comments on adelaide about its a great place to retire,  to be honest,  given the recent care home scandals I doubt even that.

20 hours ago, deryans said:

restrictive opportunities for the kids, is exactly the reason we left adelaide, but in essence it's too parochial, very small minded and restrictive,  very thin labour market and nepotistic/Cronyism barriers to entry , general mediocrity in the main, massive resistance to change from incumbent employees who underperform at an astonishing level, quite an alarming youth (and professionals) exodus from the state which then exacerbates the lack of creativity and change appetite.  as some people are fond of saying about adelaide  "its not what you know, its who you know"  and this sums the place up,  similar to many small and remote places I guess, it's very common for secret and the old  "commercial in confidence"  deals done by local councils and the state government, infact they became a laughing stock about it,  in short we found it unsuitable for our family.   

Plenty comments on adelaide about its a great place to retire,  to be honest,  given the recent care home scandals I doubt even that.

Went to school there and later time in the military in Sadelaide.  You pretty much nailed what SA is like and why expats call it 30:30.  30 mins and 30 years behind the rest of the country.

Guest The Pom Queen

I have friends there who have lived there 24 years now, they keep saying they will move to Queensland (Sunshine Coast) but they never do. It may be worth while joining our sister forum which has people who only live in or are moving to Adelaide www.pomsinadelaide.com 

On 22/09/2018 at 10:41, Bulya said:

Went to school there and later time in the military in Sadelaide.  You pretty much nailed what SA is like and why expats call it 30:30.  30 mins and 30 years behind the rest of the country.

30 year is being kind tbf i'd say more like 130 lol . and the most progressive people I  worked with in adelayed were the judiciary ...  not kidding

On 22/09/2018 at 06:40, Plumboz said:

Yes I remember a lot of people had that view, can I ask where you now and I assume this place doesn’t have these issues??

yup,  SE UK, London, East Sussex tbh there are still nepotism/cronyism/ issues everywhere but they are easily avoided and have less influence in a global gateway city/larger market and if you are close to the top of your game or your kids have ambition then a small minded parochial town  anywhere is not the place for your family.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I think people leave Adelaide because they get bored. My cousin who is now 31 lived in Adelaide between the age of 22-27 - he met his Aussie girlfriend at uni & thats where she was from. He ‘put up with it’ until she eventually agreed to leave & they moved to Melbourne. He didn’t particularly enjoy his time there. He found the place to be a bit ‘backward’ & often frustrating when dealing with people & systems, particularly in the workplace. There’s not masses going on entertainment wise compared to the other Aussie cities & back then unemployment was high which impacts on a lot of things!! He said the weather was pretty grim in the winter and could be ridiculously hot to the point of dangerous over the summer. I visited him twice when he lived there & I absolutely loved South Australia as it’s incredibly beautiful, but I wasn’t a huge fan of the city of Adelaide. It’s probably my least favourite Aussie city; it just doesn’t compete. The Gold Coast would be a completely different lifestyle on every level. I don’t really think there are any major similarities between the 2 places. If you want the typical Pommy Aussie dream of year round beach weather, big house, a pool & a boat at the bottom of your garden without breaking the bank then the Gold Coast is the place to go. If you’ve been to Adelaide and you know that you like it & could imagine yourself being happy there then why not give it a go? Follow your gut.

• Like 1

On 16/09/2018 at 22:03, Marisawright said:

Agree.  The biggest mistake Poms make is thinking Australia is similar everywhere.  It isn’t 

2 hours ago, Bulya said:

Agree.  The biggest mistake Poms make is thinking Australia is similar everywhere.  It isn’t 

Can agree with that very different attitudes. Even more so when you take in country people and places and city people. Country for me......

• Like 2

On 18/09/2018 at 17:02, Plumboz said:

thanks again

Hi I have a house in the Gold Coast, I moved from Perth where I lived for 8 years. I've owned my house in the Gold Coast for about 5 years, but spent 2 of those years away working in Darwin, and 1.5 years living full time in Adelaide. I'm currently working in Adelaide again during the week and then commuting home for long weekend to Gold Coast.  Apologies, I've been lazy with punctuation etc. so please forgive the following! What I like and dislike about both - 

Gold Coast -

Climate, I like that it is very rarely very cold (still got the odd times, dont get me wrong). I like heat, although in my opinion it is never overbearingly hot. I don't mind humidity (in fact I don't think it is that bad, my mother would flatly disagree with me!). My mum also says she misses seasons in the GC, as she doesn't really think there is much change. 

Outdoors - You have a lot of options all year round. There is some sensational hiking, lots of places to swim, paddle board, kayak, I scuba dive, you can do this all year round without freezing, although everyone always thinks of Surfers Paradise (!) there is a lot of activity in Gold Coast. 

Events - there are a lot of events all the time, it is constant and varies. 

Lifestyle - Hugely laid back, beach lifestyle 

Transient nature of the GC - it can be hard to make friends in the GC due to people being transitional or on holiday etc. Not always a place people live full time, but I believe that is really changing. I think the GC will see a real increase in population and they are starting to put a lot of thought in it.

Small town - due to the above if you are after small sleepy town feeling then you may not like the Gold Coast of the future. It has also been ruined a little by too much building of high rises.

Adelaide - 

I like that you really arent more than 25 minutes from the city most of the time 

I like that Adelaide seems to keep the live band alive. It is good to see bands touring often in venues where you can get closer with a good view. The Gov is one of my fave venues.  They also still have pubs that have a bit of an english feel to them, but it depends if that is a big draw for you

Not keen on the weather here. I find it too cold during winter and then stupid hot during summer (which doesnt always last long enough for my liking). You know the climate here so you can view my comments on weather in light of what you think about the Adelaide climate

Wine - I love the red wine here, and its nice your close to good wineries! 

Food - I have had some of my most favourite dishes in Adelaide. They do food well. 

Best fringe festival. I think they have done this event really well and the town really changes during the 2 mths of the festival. 

House are built properly. You can still get a properly built, soundproof brick house! and the houses are beautiful. Houses in general here are badly put together, but the older ones in Adelaide are great. 

If you like cycling you are probably in one of the best places in Australia. I haven't ever seen so many cyclists in one city and somewhere so well though out for cyclists. 

That is some of my thoughts. I can't help you in terms of schools etc, and I have a clear preference for Gold Coast (although spending time in both states at the moment is a great mix!).

Hopefully some of those points might help though. Some may or may not agree with me I'm sure!

Edited by KD79UK
did not read correctly.
  • Like 1