Applying for a student visa (whilst holding one) but from outside Australia?

charliethorne@gmail.com

Hi, my current student visa (sub class 500) expires today, and although I have submitted a finalised application to renew this visa, the application was done so from outside Australia, and I am still yet to receive any notification of any form of bridging visa being granted for the interim. Basically, my question (I have looked into it on various sites and right across the homeaffairs.gov.au page) is whether or not I am still automatically granted any form of bridging visa if the application is submitted outside Australia? For reference, I am 1 year and 9 months through a 4 year scholarship at Macquarie University, granting me full eligibility for the student visa; it is just my ignorance in leaving the renewal application until this late (my application was submitted and received on the 30th August) and until I happen to be out the country on university-authorised research leave.

I realise this might be a strange situation, but any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

25 minutes ago, charliethorne@gmail.com said:

Hi, my current student visa (sub class 500) expires today, and although I have submitted a finalised application to renew this visa, the application was done so from outside Australia, and I am still yet to receive any notification of any form of bridging visa being granted for the interim. Basically, my question (I have looked into it on various sites and right across the homeaffairs.gov.au page) is whether or not I am still automatically granted any form of bridging visa if the application is submitted outside Australia? For reference, I am 1 year and 9 months through a 4 year scholarship at Macquarie University, granting me full eligibility for the student visa; it is just my ignorance in leaving the renewal application until this late (my application was submitted and received on the 30th August) and until I happen to be out the country on university-authorised research leave.

I realise this might be a strange situation, but any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

To Bridge automatically from one visa to another you need to apply onshore not offshore. You won't have one automatically and you almost certainly can't get one, 

Thanks for the quick reply, in this situation then would you advise the best course to apply for a separate holiday visa? Otherwise I am not sure how else I could return to Australia, barring waiting for the renewal application to be processed, which according to the figures given by the homeoffice site could be up to a month later than my date of return. Thanks for your help with this.

6 minutes ago, charliethorne@gmail.com said:

Thanks for the quick reply, in this situation then would you advise the best course to apply for a separate holiday visa? Otherwise I am not sure how else I could return to Australia, barring waiting for the renewal application to be processed, which according to the figures given by the homeoffice site could be up to a month later than my date of return. Thanks for your help with this.

No idea, sorry, I'd suggest a quick chat wih an agent, unless one responds on here, to avoid causing complications with the student visa. 

5 hours ago, Nemesis said:

No idea, sorry, I'd suggest a quick chat wih an agent, unless one responds on here, to avoid causing complications with the student visa. 

As Nemesis says:

- you cannot get a bridging visa if you applied offshore;

- your situation is fairly messy and you would be better off getting some bespoke advice that fits your situation rather than general advice on the forum, which might not be appropriate for you.

• Like 1