Help with what to take, what to leave!

mrsr1976

Hi all, after lots of thought and waiting for the right time as my husband"s been ill. We have decided to take the leap and are moving over the Perth in December 2018. We're very excited but very scared too! Any advice would be fantastic.

We are thinking about using a movecube and just deciding what to bring over and what to leave behind/sell.

Did people bring their UK winter clothes? We have stayed in WA during July and August and although the sun was lovely and a lot warmer than the UK, we had heaters on at night and I definitely didnt take enough warmer clothes for my daughters who wore leggings and fleeces every day! Any tips would be great. Also we're considering bringing tumble dryer/ fridge and washing machine. What are people's opinions on that? Did people bring their kids toys etc....mine have a lot of lego! Is it more expensive in WA? Its cost quite a lot to buy it all and they would use it for a few more years as my youngest is 7. So.many questions....sorry! I have posted previously on Perty Poms but it wont currently let me log on for some reason so apologies for posting here instead.

Also is anyone is willing to meet up over the Christmas period that would be great too. We are both 42 and our daughters are 10 and 7. I am a teacher and have been accepted into 4 teaching pools so far which is really positive, don't know where we will be based until I get a job but looking at staying in a holiday let for xmas possibly in Yanchep.

Debbie

The only thing I didn’t bring clothes wise was a (fake) fir lined coat.  Brought all the rest of my warm clothes, including my wool coat, and have warn all of them at some point.  We had a big clear out of stuff we never used and then brought everything else.  Including  wardrobes, which we didn’t need as the rental we ended up in had built in robes.  Sold them here for far more than we would have got in the UK.

Bring everything, warm clothes are needed and they come in handy if you ever travel back to the UK,

Lego is the same price here and easy to buy but it’s good to bring the kids familiar things. We had a container and after clearing all the clutter and stuff we didn’t need, we brought most things. We’ve gradually replaced some over the three years we’ve been here but we were glad we brought what we did.

Think we’ve chatted before on Perth Poms, fellow teaching family here too. We are in Mandurah so will be a distance from Yanchep but let us know if you fancy a meet up when you get here.

Thanks to everyone for your replies and great advice! We just booked our flights!!!! We land on the 4th December [emoji4]
Think we are going to ship.our car too so we can stores some stuff inside that. Then the movecube looked great so we just need to figure out how much stuff we want to take. Then we will probably ship out winter clothes and books at a later date.
Just got to book accommodation now! I have a second interview for a teaching post on Tuesday so fingers crossed!!

3 hours ago, mrsr1976 said:

Think we are going to ship.our car too so we can stores some stuff inside that. Then the movecube looked great so we just need to figure out how much stuff we want to take. Then we will probably ship out winter clothes and books at a later date.

Sounds like a bad plan, TBH.   First, it's usually a waste of money to ship a car.  There's a forum here where you can check to see whether yours is worth it.  Shipping your car so you can put stuff inside it is definitely not worth it.  

Shipping gets cheaper the bigger you get.  So splitting your goods into two lots will cost you a LOT more than shipping it all at once.   If you don't have enough for a container, have you looked at shipping a part container?   

I know the cost of container shipping looks scary, but have you tried pricing how much it will cost to replace all your furniture and white goods when you arrive?  Check out the prices at sites like Domayne.com.au, thegoodguys.com.au and Ikea.   Do a trial shop. You may find that by comparison, the shipping cost doesn't seem so bad!  

If your furniture is old and you'll be glad to see the back of it, then of course you wouldn't ship it.  But consider that you're going to arrive, have a month in a holiday place, and then you'll have an empty house to fill.  Forget about hunting for that perfect sofa - you'll have to grab the first half-decent stuff that's in stock, and then you'll be stuck with it all. 

The Movecubes are great if you're mainly shipping small stuff - clothes, books, household stuff, small appliances, furniture you can flat-pack, etc.  As soon as you try to put big furniture items in, they fill up very quickly.  

Edited by Marisawright

Thanks, yes we've checked iabout shipping the car and our car is as it's an M5 and quite a high spec, we weren't shipping the car to put stuff in, that would be crazy, it's just we were told we can put stuff in there at the same time so it's very useful. We haven't got that much stuff and we have got quotes from 3 different shipping companies so we will just conpare.

3 hours ago, mrsr1976 said:

Yes I wasnt imagining it....emoji6.png

6. Inner cargo. With shared container shipping you can pack items inside the vehicle as long as they pass quarantine and customs regulations. Note that expensive items may be subject to additional customs duty.

That's in a shared container though, so you may as well put everything in the same shared container - it will work out cheaper than using a separate Movecube or any other kind of separate shipping.

2 hours ago, mrsr1976 said:

Thanks. This is from the car shipping people. Im not sure how much space we have though except in the car? Would we perhaps have space around the car? We need to move a couple of bikes, toys, books, smaller furniture

That’s because they’re car shipping people and they’ve quoted for your car only. Get a quote for a shared container based on the total of what you want to ship. BTW I strongly recommend shipping kitchen stuff if you have  any decent pots pans cutlery crockery etc

Edited by Marisawright

Thanks, I was going to bring my sturdy le crueset pot that we got as a wedding pressie...13 years ago, I cook in it all the time! We got some cutlery too so wont be leaving that! Are kids bikes expensive, considering buying 2 new ones before we ship as both my girls have outgrown their current ones.

2 hours ago, mrsr1976 said:

Thanks, I was going to bring my sturdy le crueset pot that we got as a wedding pressie...13 years ago, I cook in it all the time! We got some cutlery too so wont be leaving that! Are kids bikes expensive, considering buying 2 new ones before we ship as both my girls have outgrown their current ones.

Definitely bring your le creuset!   It really is worth getting on a site like myer.com.au and doing a pretend shop for all your pots, pans, cutlery, crockery etc.  

In normal life, we never have to kit out our house from scratch, so the average person has no idea how much it will cost.  Plus, if we've been established for a while, we haven't noticed how prices have increased in the meantime.   When we went back to the UK two years ago, we left everything behind.  The cost to set up the kitchen was at least three times more than I expected, then I still had to buy towels, sheets, duvets...

For instance, your Le Creuset pot will cost you about $350 to replace here - I just looked it up and couldn't believe it, because when I bought mine years ago, it was only about $150. 

• Like 1

We live in QLD and didn't bring any winter clothes but really  wished we had , we brought over  some of the kids toys esoeciallly  Lego  , we were so glad we did as we found the choice over here was a lot more limited and more expensive , we sold all the  Lego a few years later  on a local site after they had grown out of it and got a really good price for it . The kids  were so happy when their belongings arrived . . We brought fridge/freezer and washing machine but wished  we brought our dryer. If space  is limited then I would bring  items that would cost the most to replace over here ,we found kitchen items the easiest and cheapest items to replace ,, we brought everything we could with us in our container and  the only things we wished we had were winter clothes , the dryer and more warm  bedding 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Marisawright said:

Definitely bring your le creuset!   It really is worth getting on a site like myer.com.au and doing a pretend shop for all your pots, pans, cutlery, crockery etc.  

In normal life, we never have to kit out our house from scratch, so the average person has no idea how much it will cost.  Plus, if we've been established for a while, we haven't noticed how prices have increased in the meantime.   When we went back to the UK two years ago, we left everything behind.  The cost to set up the kitchen was at least three times more than I expected, then I still had to buy towels, sheets, duvets...

For instance, your Le Creuset pot will cost you about $350 to replace here - I just looked it up and couldn't believe it, because when I bought mine years ago, it was only about $150. 

I’m feeling that setting up pain now back in the UK. It’s almost impossible to think of absolutely everything you need. You take so much for granted when you have built up your store cupboard and equipment over years. Bought back my Woll pans and some good linen but not alot else. Costing a fortune, but I am trying not to panic buy and get things I want rather than whatever is easier because I am under pressure. I have enough basics now to live and will add as I go. 

Definitely move any good quality items you know you will use.

• Like 1

Thanks for all your advice! I think half the battle is the hubby and me agreeing on what we take or leave....the le crueset isnt that high on his agenda but the speakers are!!

Had a quick look at ikea and it seems we can get cheap beds and a sofa and a few other necessities for about $1000, I guess its weighing up whether we want our own stuff out there, but the problem is, we will need it in Jan as I will hopefully start work at the end.of that month, so it wont get there by that time probably, then we will have to buy stuff anyway to.make do.when we move into a longer term rental!

Our stuff isn't expensive, most of it's ikea anyway so we may just start again with bed and a sofa, then look at gumtree for a few bits. The idea was to get a movecube to go in the next couple of weeks with the rest of our summer clothes (we.only have 30kg each limit on flight), kids toys, music stuff, electric stuff,.maybe mountain bikes.

Then send the rest nearer when we go ourselves as we cant do without tumble drier etc before then really.

Do long term rentals come with any white goods at all? I had a look on the good guys website and it seemed like most of the fridges and freezers are separate, ours is a half and half and really efficient so I do want to bring it.

Also someone mentioned fitted wardrobes- do most rentals come with? If bit we could get a hanging rail I suppose our wardrobe is very bulky and heavy but doesnt have much room really so would be a waste of time bringing.

Were looking at booking for a month in a holiday rental in yanchep as we love it up that way and the hubby goes skydiving a bit further north so its helpful to not be too far from that.

Any opinions on Yanchep in the summer as we've only been in winter! The other place is Two Rocks, opinions on there?
We don't really want to be that far up when I start work, as most of my job opportunities are close to central Perth and I would imagine its a.busy commute for the school run every morning!

Sorry for the long post, any further advice would be great!

We live in Joondalup but have in-laws in Butler, Quinns and Mindarie. We actually put a deposit on a block in Yanchep but it fell through after the builder tried to rip us off. To be honest, in hindsight we were glad; it's just too far out and there isn't enough there in terms of amenities. You've basically got the Lagoon, the National Park (with Inn) and Woolworths, that's it. Anything else you need and you're driving. I think they are extending the train to Yanchep, not sure about the freeway (doubt it), but if you drive then you'll be sat in the car a lot.

Not keen on Two Rocks. OK to go fishing, wouldn't live there, too bogan.

• Like 1

Hi I'm not in OZ now but I was in WA during the boom years. I became a dual citizen while I was there. I used to go to Yanchep Lagoon a lot when I lived there. Safestbplace in Perth to swim in the Ocean. 

My advice - get a quote of Pickford's and other similar companies to send a container. 

Taking a BMW, not really an ideal car. Not many will want to buy it secondhand as it's a European registered car. Plus parts could proof to be different than Vic Park BMW.

I thought about taking a motor many times but it just was never a feasible option when you add all the costs together. 

You will need bull bars up in Yanchep driving at night. I smashed up a car once at dusk up there. Kangaroo attacked my car while driving.

Yanchep is lovely but not a great place for work.  NOR (SOR) you will learn these terms are not great for work. Nearest train station at the moment is Butler. Probably 30 mins away then at least an hour on the train into the city.

Take everything you can with you. It's not cheap to buy anything. Your hoover thoroughly clean all of it out. Winter clothes you will need them May - Oct. 

I always think about moving back but work is still too quiet. BTW I am a teacher but I ended up working in the Oil and Gas industry - training. A lot more cash back in the day in that field. 

Good luck pm if you have any further questions like I say I lived there and can point you in the right direction about a lot of things there.