How to become a Uber driver in Australia?

Jupiter

1 hour ago, Nemesis said:

How are you going to get a visa? Being an Uber Driver is not a skill on the current lists, so you need to work out how to get into Australia (legally) before you can think about driving for anyone. 

I'm unaware that there has ever been a taxi driver anywhere who is not working illegally. I thought it was par for the course ?

I went for a job at Uber they told me that they had checked on Vevo and noticed I was a permanent resident so were 'unable to progress with my application at this time'

41 minutes ago, can1983 said:

I'm unaware that there has ever been a taxi driver anywhere who is not working illegally. I thought it was par for the course ?

I went for a job at Uber they told me that they had checked on Vevo and noticed I was a permanent resident so were 'unable to progress with my application at this time'

I wasn't refering to uber drivers working illegally, I was refering tot he fact that Jupiter needs to find a legal pathway into Australia first - he won't manage it as a taxi/uber driver as that is not on the skills list, and he already has a 3 year ban to negotiate. 

I see what you mean. I was asking this because if I get into Australia with a job that's on the skilled list but it takes some time before I actually get the job. In that case, I could drive Uber in the mean time to pay for bills. However, if it's necessary to be an Australian citizen to drive Uber, then my plan won't work.

10 hours ago, Jupiter said:

Is driving taxi/Uber a physically demanding job? I have a white collar background so I don't have any experience with physical labour.

You might have to lift suitcases/bags  into the vehicle.  I would imagine that's about as physically demanding as it would get.

7 hours ago, Jupiter said:

That wouldn't be an issue. I'm just worried about the fatigue you get from driving for a long time.

You'd be more fatigued from cleaning the chewing gum and other crap from your vehicle. I doubt very much that you'd be fatigued from driving for a long time as that much work simply doesn't exist, at least not in Brisbane. A lot of my son's mates have tried it and all packed it in within a month. There is an oversupply of the young thinking it's be an easy way to make a few bucks to pay for their vehicle

• Like 1