Problems with getting Third Party Insurance

Adam Cole

Without naming company names, I received a quote from a well-known shipping company to transfer a few items (boxes of books, clothes, suitcase, hi-fi, etc) from a storage facility in the UK to my home here in Townsville, Queensland. I'm going to be in the UK in February to oversee the shipping. All seemed well, and I contacted a well-known insurer to get a premium quote. However, I noticed that in order to be covered, my items would have to travel from residence to residence, not from storage to residence.
I contacted the insurer to clarify things, and they informed me:

Insurers will need confirmation in writing from the removal company that they are fully checking your goods, preparing a packing list, and fully export packing. If you can get this from them, then attach this confirmation with the completed application form, and I can get everything arranged for you.

When I told the shipping company that I would need this confirmation, they were adamant that it was not company policy to put anything in writing for a third party insurer, and suggested it is not usual practice in any case.

So, I'm a bit stuck here - I've been told that getting separate rather than in-house insurance saves huge sums of money (which obviously I'd like to do!), but it doesn't look possible given the 'residence to residence' rule. Has anyone else experienced this problem? Does anyone know how I could bypass the issue?

Thanks in advance, Adam.

Guest The Pom Queen

Hi @Adam Cole  I would advise them if they can’t give you this letter for your insurance company you will choose a removal company who can. Also have a chat with the insurance company and see what they suggest.

‘We did have similar when we moved Interstate in Australia. We were also going to use something similar to a movecube but we were advised by the insurance company that our items had to be packed by a professional company.