Singapore Airlines "not the cheapest" - Is this true?

SWMOY04

WOW [mention=242357]JetBlast[/mention]!! thanks a lot!!
great to see a visual. of the A380's, when you say its older...would this mean older then the Emirates ones too? coz of the four Emirates ones I've been on, one of them felt quite ancient.
[edit] - nevermind...just read the article.. thanks again
Emirates have had 777s and A380s delivered in at the same time over a long period. So there is a mix of ages.

The Singapore 777-300ER and A380 are a similar age but the Singapore 777-300ER have been refurbished.

The Singapore A350 and 787 are brand new.

I would avoid the Singapore 777-200 and 777-200ER. They are quite old and are being phased out.
  • Like 1

If you're ever in a situation where you have a choice of aircraft and not sure what to choose I would use this ranking. This is assuming you're flying economy not business class.

1. Boeing 777-300ER
2. Airbus A350-900
3. Boeing 787-10
4. Airbus A380-800
5. Airbus A330-200
6. Boeing 777-300
7. Boeing 777-200 & Boeing 777-200ER

The Airbus A350 and Boeing 777-300ER are basically the same inside but the cabin is slightly wider in the 777-300ER.

• Thanks 1

For anyone who is going business class I would pick this order

1. Boeing 777-300ER (Flat Bed + New IFE)
2. Airbus A350-900 (Flat Bed + New IFE)
3. Boeing 787-10 (Flat Bed + New IFE)
4. Airbus A380-800 (Flat Bed + Older FE)

5. Boeing 777-200ER (Flat Bed + Older and some very old IFE)
6. Airbus A330.200 (Angled but better IFE than 777-200ER)
7. Boeing 777-300 (Angled + old IFE)
8. 777-200 (Angled + older IFE and some very old IFE)

• Like 2

Hi Jetblast, we’re thinking of flying Singapore in November too. To Sydney via Singapore stopover for a couple of days. Probably flying from London but could do Manchester. What are your thoughts about the aircraft flying on the London - Singapore route. There seems to be a choice to take the 8pm or 10pm flight - one is Boeing 777 something and one airbus 380? Are these aircrafts newish or is the Manchester flight better? I’m a bit of a nervous flyer  ... 

2 hours ago, justme said:

Hi Jetblast, we’re thinking of flying Singapore in November too. To Sydney via Singapore stopover for a couple of days. Probably flying from London but could do Manchester. What are your thoughts about the aircraft flying on the London - Singapore route. There seems to be a choice to take the 8pm or 10pm flight - one is Boeing 777 something and one airbus 380? Are these aircrafts newish or is the Manchester flight better? I’m a bit of a nervous flyer  ... 

We've done both SIN to LHR and SIN to MAN.  To London on the B777 and Manchester on a very new A350.  The latter was considerably quieter, really noticeable, even down the back. Seats were "skinnier" by far but were comfortable.  Armrests very narrow on the A350, but not a problem if you know the people around you!  Only issue is MAN-SIN is only 5 times per week at the moment, and departs Singapore at 2.30 am

17 hours ago, justme said:

Hello - What class are you flying? Economy, Premium Economy, Business or First? My answer will depend on the class you see.

1 hour ago, SWMOY04 said:

Thanks for your advice JetBlast.

I've booked the 11am Manchester Melbourne flight via Changi.

A350 MAN-SIN

A380 SIN-MEL

No worries! Hope you have a good flight.  Collect the air miles. You will get about 12,500. You could save them or but they expire after 2 years! You can spend the miles on the online shop. You can get a bottle of Vodka or something with 12,500 miles. https://www.krisshopair.com/

I recently spent 52,000 on some noise canceling headphones.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, JetBlast said:

Hello - What class are you flying? Economy, Premium Economy, Business or First? My answer will depend on the class you see.

No worries! Hope you have a good flight.  Collect the air miles. You will get about 12,500. You could save them or but they expire after 2 years! You can spend the miles on the online shop. You can get a bottle of Vodka or something with 12,500 miles. https://www.krisshopair.com/

Hi Jetblast. We’ll be flying economy. We’re now looking at the Manchester flight, which is on the a350 as it’s cheaper and we’re closer to Manchester. Downside being it leaves at 11am so our 1 and 3 year olds will be awake for a lot of the flight. Perhaps tell me about the different planes and it’ll help make our decision ... thanks in advance! 

The A350 is already covered here 

You have 2 decent connection options.

SQ 288 (1h 40min Layover)
SQ 211 (2h 35min Layover)

Both are served by the refurbished 777-300ER and have identical configurations. So I would pick a connection on SQ288. If you're worried that isn't enough layover time don't worry. I have done it in 20 mins in the past. Changi Airport is very efficient and easy to use. When you check in at Manchester your bags will be loaded onto the connecting flight, you just make your way to the next gate.

The seats and in flight entertainment on the refurbished 777-300ER are the same as the A350 in the link above. The only difference is the seats and cabin are slightly wider than the A350. The aircraft is louder though.

Edited by JetBlast

Thanks Jetblast. We’re flying end of November. We’re intending to stay two nights in Singapore to break up the trip. The onward journey we are looking at looks to be an airbus 380. To be honest as long as the planes are safe that’s the main thing I’m after! 

Still not sure about whether taking a day or night flight for the long leg is better with young children? Overnight seems like a good idea - but only if they sleep. Otherwise overtired young kids could be carnage. Day time flight would mean everyone is fresh, but may get bored? Anyone who has made the journey with a toddler and infant have any words of wisdom? ?

3 hours ago, JetBlast said:

wow!!

hang on... 12500 per person or 12500 for my family of 4?

1 hour ago, justme said:

Hi Jetblast. We’ll be flying economy. We’re now looking at the Manchester flight, which is on the a350 as it’s cheaper and we’re closer to Manchester. Downside being it leaves at 11am so our 1 and 3 year olds will be awake for a lot of the flight. Perhaps tell me about the different planes and it’ll help make our decision ... thanks in advance! 

are you sure youre not a clone of me?

I'm also traveling with 3and half year old and a 1 and half year old.

the Emriates A380 was quite quiet... so if the saying is true that the A350 is quieter... then you should be ok...

we did a return Manchester to Melbour e trip this past summer with the kids. the key is to take turns sleeping.

39 minutes ago, justme said:

Thanks Jetblast. We’re flying end of November. We’re intending to stay two nights in Singapore to break up the trip. The onward journey we are looking at looks to be an airbus 380. To be honest as long as the planes are safe that’s the main thing I’m after! 

Still not sure about whether taking a day or night flight for the long leg is better with young children? Overnight seems like a good idea - but only if they sleep. Otherwise overtired young kids could be carnage. Day time flight would mean everyone is fresh, but may get bored? Anyone who has made the journey with a toddler and infant have any words of wisdom? ?

I flew Emirates three legs 

Man-Dubai-Changi-Melbourne

left manchester around 8pm...so kids were tired anyway...arrived around midday, afternoon in Dubai and they were still shattered...

took next flight Dubai to Changi and they were awake most of that flight so I took turns with OH to nap and entertain them.

Changi-Melbourne was an overnighter they were well and truly shattered by then...so we're we... so we all slept.

the trick (I honestly dindnt plan it) is to befriend your host(ess)... show them your cute kids and they will then make efforts to serve the kids the food according to their sleep/wake time as opposed to just serving them at serving time... some were even nice enough to stagger my meal and my OH meal so that we could feed the kids without a meal hanging about on the lap tray

Edited by SWMOY04
context

1 hour ago, justme said:

I don't have children so I can't really comment. One thing to consider is jet lag. You're body probably won't be in Singapore time.

What would be the best time to land in Sydney? I am assuming night time will be more difficult?

When you decide what flight you're interested in let me know I will tell you what that aircraft are like.

36 minutes ago, SWMOY04 said:

wow!!

hang on... 12500 per person or 12500 for my family of 4?

12,500 each ?

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, JetBlast said:

I don't have children so I can't really comment. One thing to consider is jet lag. You're body probably won't be in Singapore time.

What would be the best time to land in Sydney? I am assuming night time will be more difficult?

When you decide what flight you're interested in let me know I will tell you what that aircraft are like.

12,500 each ?

Hi again! We booked the flight. Late November with Singapore airlines. Manchester to Singapore on A350-900 then Singapore to Sydney on A380-800. We’re stayinh two nights in Singapore to break up the journey and to enjoy a little holiday of sorts! Excited and nervous all at the same time!

1 hour ago, justme said:

Hi again! We booked the flight. Late November with Singapore airlines. Manchester to Singapore on A350-900 then Singapore to Sydney on A380-800. We’re stayinh two nights in Singapore to break up the journey and to enjoy a little holiday of sorts! Excited and nervous all at the same time!

Great news. What is your flight number for the A380 flight?

On 19/09/2018 at 19:31, JetBlast said:

The A350 is already covered here 

You have 2 decent connection options.

SQ 288 (1h 40min Layover)
SQ 211 (2h 35min Layover)

Both are served by the refurbished 777-300ER and have identical configurations. So I would pick a connection on SQ288. If you're worried that isn't enough layover time don't worry. I have done it in 20 mins in the past. Changi Airport is very efficient and easy to use. When you check in at Manchester your bags will be loaded onto the connecting flight, you just make your way to the next gate.

The seats and in flight entertainment on the refurbished 777-300ER are the same as the A350 in the link above. The only difference is the seats and cabin are slightly wider than the A350. The aircraft is louder though.

We've had a 50 min layover at Changi. First flight was late hitting the tarmac. Connecting flight was in a different terminal - great service, they shuttled us all on buggies (certainly better than walking!) and we made the connecting flight no problem. 

A much better connection than running from one plane to another in JFK on your first trip to the US but thats another story...

On 19/09/2018 at 20:09, justme said:

We 'Jet Lag adjust' a few days before take off, slightly altering our bed times/wake up times accordingly seeking/avoiding light as necessary; etc.  We alter our watches to landing time zone once on the flight.  We also trick our bodies by eating associated food at mealtimes. e.g. 6am UK time we would be eating 'Lunch style' food as opposed to breakfast and so on as if we were on AUS time and so on... 

Our children are older than yours now but we've covered lots of long haul flights to/from UK over the years adjusting in this alway helps us. 

• Like 1

Guest The Pom Queen
On 14/09/2018 at 12:30, SWMOY04 said:

yeah,I can imagine, we booked a bassinet for the last trip two months ago. but he was JUST small enough to fit, no way he would fit now. even then, he only spent about 3 hours in each flight in it. What I found was the bassinet seats don't have arm rests that raise up, so in the end we agreed we will go 3 or 4 abreast on the relocation flight. sadly cant afford premium/business flights.

three abreast on the Qantas leg of Changi to Melbourne was ok. we lifted armrests and both kids actually lay on the seat with one parent each catering for one head. and feet going across each other. but if we find a flight with 4 abreast, may actually take a chance and buy only three and sandwich someone in with us in the hope they will move  ASAP at the sign of two kids under 4?...just kidding, we'll just buy all four seats

I wonder if you can book 2 seats for one person. I know large passengers do at a fraction of the cost and there was a lady I heard recently saying she did that instead of paying business. 

Guest The Pom Queen

It’s a long while since we made the trip over but we did a 10 hour stop over in Singapore and booked the onsite hotel, I’m not sure if they still do it but you could purchase 4 hourly blocks, so we booked 8 hours and slept all the way through, had a shower and felt refreshed. The only problem is if your children have slept on the plane they may not want to sleep, thankfully ours did but we had agreed to take it in turns with one of us sleeping whilst the other took the kids to the hotel pool or around the airport. 

20 hours ago, The Pom Queen said:

I wonder if you can book 2 seats for one person. I know large passengers do at a fraction of the cost and there was a lady I heard recently saying she did that instead of paying business. 

hey, there's a thought!! I am rather large too??