Singapore Airlines "not the cheapest" - Is this true?

SWMOY04

So a couple of times I've come across phrases to the effect...

"Singapore Airlines,  but they're not cheap" or words to that effect.

So far the only airlines I have seen cheaper are not worth comparing with Singapore Airlines.

From Reviews it looks like Singapore Airlines competes with the middle eastern airlines (Emirates, Etihad, Qatar) in quality and outperforms them in some parameters.

yet from these four, its consistently the cheapest.

Maybe I'm missing something... I've not bothered with the likes of China Southern etc...they are definitely cheaper, but their reviews are concerning.

British Airways, Virgin Aus, Qantas (I'm aware of codeshare) and others of that sort seem to be more expensive than the above four...

any ideas?

looking for tickets for two adults, toddler and infant.

We go with Emirates because the flight timings are good for us. Singapore same price more or less but times from Adelaide to UK worse. 

Tbh it can depend what type of plane you actually fly on and how new it is and what mood the crew is in!

son did Etihad recently as cheaper than Emirates but said it wasn’t worth the saving. 

• Like 1

I'd certainly rate Singapore Airlines as one of the better airlines and would choose it with it a stopover in Singapore above the middle eastern airlines. Qantas is fairly good, but often seems pricey. British Airways has rapidly gone downhill and I'd classify it as not much better than the chinese airlines. 

we used to pay a premium to go on singapore airlines and definitely thought it was worth it. - they were slightly more expensive but recently they've been much more aggressively pricing themselves in the market.

Currently looking for flights to the UK for next june/july. Best price on SA is 5k. qantas 8-10k for a family of 4. middle eastern carriers are similar to qantas, so its a no brainer.

7 minutes ago, kevsan said:

we used to pay a premium to go on singapore airlines and definitely thought it was worth it. - they were slightly more expensive but recently they've been much more aggressively pricing themselves in the market.

Currently looking for flights to the UK for next june/july. Best price on SA is 5k. qantas 8-10k for a family of 4. middle eastern carriers are similar to qantas, so its a no brainer.

ah... so they have actively made themselves the cheapest of the four then?

that makes sense now.

33 minutes ago, unzippy said:

This is a useful site - https://www.seatguru.com/

Yeah, am always on there... I've taken about three flights every two years  (over the last decade) and have learnt the joys of skyscanner, seatguru, kayak etc etc. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, rammygirl said:

We go with Emirates because the flight timings are good for us. Singapore same price more or less but times from Adelaide to UK worse. 

Tbh it can depend what type of plane you actually fly on and how new it is and what mood the crew is in!

son did Etihad recently as cheaper than Emirates but said it wasn’t worth the saving. 

I used to swear by Emirates and loved their service, but have noticed a definite decline over recent years. I stuck with them despite a drop in service largely because of the flight times, as it allowed me to leave Perth at 6am and arrive in Glasgow 7.30pm same day (kind of).

At the moment they seem to be doing work on the runway (or runways) in Dubai and both to and from Scotland we circled for an hour waiting for a landing slot, followed by sitting on the tarmac for an hour waiting for a take off slot. Given the short layover involved in the preferred flight times, it meant literally sprinting the large distances in Dubai airport from one flight to the next. I won't fly Emirates again until this is resolved and it was the straw that broke my loyalty to them. Trying Qatar next month for the first time and keen to see how they compare.

Singapore remains the best airline I have flown, no contest (on their A380) and Changi airport is far superior to Dubai in my view

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, MacGyver said:

I used to swear by Emirates and loved their service, but have noticed a definite decline over recent years. I stuck with them despite a drop in service largely because of the flight times, as it allowed me to leave Perth at 6am and arrive in Glasgow 7.30pm same day (kind of).

At the moment they seem to be doing work on the runway (or runways) in Dubai and both to and from Scotland we circled for an hour waiting for a landing slot, followed by sitting on the tarmac for an hour waiting for a take off slot. Given the short layover involved in the preferred flight times, it meant literally sprinting the large distances in Dubai airport from one flight to the next. I won't fly Emirates again until this is resolved and it was the straw that broke my loyalty to them. Trying Qatar next month for the first time and keen to see how they compare.

Singapore remains the best airline I have flown, no contest (on their A380) and Changi airport is far superior to Dubai in my view

Yes I did hear there were delays and the stopovers can be tight. I wasn’t keen on Qatar the food was weird (sponge pudding and custard for breakfast) and I found the seats uncomfortable although they are supposed to be the latest designs. The airport was rather sterile and very expensive too. 

Malaysian are ok too.

saying all this if I had to spend any length of time at an airport it would be Changi!  Off to Singapore next month then later on to Thailand with SA then silk air.

• Like 1

@SWMOY04 I fly Singapore Airlines a lot. If you advise me of your route / predicted flight numbers I can tell you what to expect. I can show you pictures of the seats, In Flight Entertainment etc.

I would use Singapore over Emirates for a few reasons.

1. Emirates cram more seats in. On the 777 for example.  Singapore economy class has 9 across but Emirates has 10. Business Class has 4 across on Singapore but Emirates has 7. Other airlines such as BA, Qatar and Etihad also do this.
2. Singapore Changi is a much better airport for connections. By miles!

3. If you fly First, Business or Premium Economy you can book your meals before you fly. Guaranteed to have something you like.
4. On the whole the food is better.
5. Service is also better.

The one issue with Singapore is the WIFI is too expensive. I don't use it though, I like to cut myself off from the rest of the world.

• Thanks 1

Hey @JetBlast

I start work on the first of December (the 3rd, really as that's a Monday)...but I'd rather arrive there at least 10-14 days before... so mid November time.  Manchester to Melbourne

2 adults, a toddler in her own seat and an infant on lap (too big for bassinet...if price is right I may pay for a fourth seat if they have 4 abreast seats (3-4-3) Just saw your comment on rows. I thought they do A380 flights?

I've passed through Changi and found it quite good on my last flight. didn't enjoy the change from Emirates to Qantas due o codeshare as the Qantas flight was quite crammed (even more than Emirates, thought we were on bulkhead seats for bassinet)

Edited by SWMOY04
cancellation

Has anyone else experienced the leak on bulkhead seats on Emirates A380?... I had 5 flights in total on my activation trip. 4 of them were A380's with Emirates. all bulkhead seats had massive leaks from air-con units and the floor was wet. each time I brought it up, the crew played it down like it was a one-off.

I'll go check Seat Guru and update with this if it hasn't been done

23 hours ago, SWMOY04 said:

So a couple of times I've come across phrases to the effect...

"Singapore Airlines,  but they're not cheap" or words to that effect.

So far the only airlines I have seen cheaper are not worth comparing with Singapore Airlines.

From Reviews it looks like Singapore Airlines competes with the middle eastern airlines (Emirates, Etihad, Qatar) in quality and outperforms them in some parameters.

yet from these four, its consistently the cheapest.

Maybe I'm missing something... I've not bothered with the likes of China Southern etc...they are definitely cheaper, but their reviews are concerning.

British Airways, Virgin Aus, Qantas (I'm aware of codeshare) and others of that sort seem to be more expensive than the above four...

any ideas?

looking for tickets for two adults, toddler and infant.

It really depends on whether you want to stopover in Dubai or Singapore.

2 hours ago, SWMOY04 said:

Has anyone else experienced the leak on bulkhead seats on Emirates A380?... I had 5 flights in total on my activation trip. 4 of them were A380's with Emirates. all bulkhead seats had massive leaks from air-con units and the floor was wet. each time I brought it up, the crew played it down like it was a one-off.

I'll go check Seat Guru and update with this if it hasn't been done

It is a long way with an infant on your lap. We booked a seat. Cheap tickets in November.

We've done Etihad, Emirates, Malaysian, Cathay, Qantas/BA and Singapore.  Singapore wins hands down for us (2 adults +13yo who isn't a keen flyer).  Good choice of departures from Brisbane, choice of connections in Singapore. We've had a 2 day break in the city, but bags checked straight through without having to claim them at Changi.  Good hotel to spend 24 hrs or more between flights, good inflight service and entertainment.  Little things like hot towels, announcements only in English.

Pricing seems competititve-particularly as we have to travel in school holidays. 

But if you get the child who cannot sit still in front/behind you for 14 hours, none of it really matters...!

5 minutes ago, newjez said:

It is a long way with an infant on your lap. We booked a seat. Cheap tickets in November.

yeah,I can imagine, we booked a bassinet for the last trip two months ago. but he was JUST small enough to fit, no way he would fit now. even then, he only spent about 3 hours in each flight in it. What I found was the bassinet seats don't have arm rests that raise up, so in the end we agreed we will go 3 or 4 abreast on the relocation flight. sadly cant afford premium/business flights.

three abreast on the Qantas leg of Changi to Melbourne was ok. we lifted armrests and both kids actually lay on the seat with one parent each catering for one head. and feet going across each other. but if we find a flight with 4 abreast, may actually take a chance and buy only three and sandwich someone in with us in the hope they will move  ASAP at the sign of two kids under 4?...just kidding, we'll just buy all four seats

1 hour ago, SWMOY04 said:

yeah,I can imagine, we booked a bassinet for the last trip two months ago. but he was JUST small enough to fit, no way he would fit now. even then, he only spent about 3 hours in each flight in it. What I found was the bassinet seats don't have arm rests that raise up, so in the end we agreed we will go 3 or 4 abreast on the relocation flight. sadly cant afford premium/business flights.

three abreast on the Qantas leg of Changi to Melbourne was ok. we lifted armrests and both kids actually lay on the seat with one parent each catering for one head. and feet going across each other. but if we find a flight with 4 abreast, may actually take a chance and buy only three and sandwich someone in with us in the hope they will move  ASAP at the sign of two kids under 4?...just kidding, we'll just buy all four seats

When are you traveling? The planes are often empty in November.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, SWMOY04 said:

Hey @JetBlast

I start work on the first of December (the 3rd, really as that's a Monday)...but I'd rather arrive there at least 10-14 days before... so mid November time.  Manchester to Melbourne

2 adults, a toddler in her own seat and an infant on lap (too big for bassinet...if price is right I may pay for a fourth seat if they have 4 abreast seats (3-4-3) Just saw your comment on rows. I thought they do A380 flights?

I've passed through Changi and found it quite good on my last flight. didn't enjoy the change from Emirates to Qantas due o codeshare as the Qantas flight was quite crammed (even more than Emirates, thought we were on bulkhead seats for bassinet)

The A380 is not always the best depending on what else is on offer it wouldn't always be my number 1 choice. There are other aircraft with more modern seats etc. I would choose the Singapore A350 and 777-300ER over A380.

What class are you flying? I can show you exactly what to expect,.

Edited by JetBlast
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, SWMOY04 said:

Hey @JetBlast

When we migrated, many years ago now, we had a toddler and an infant, but decided to pay for the seat for our baby.  Our reasons were partly because it gave us extra baggage allowance, but more importantly it gave us extra room on the flight with a wriggly toddler!  We sat slightly further back, in a row of 4, so I could sit on one side with the baby, OH could sit at the other side, and toddler had the choice of two seats (which was great for sleeping with the armrests up).  We have flown Qantas, Singapore and Qatar (although we flew business with them, so I can't comment on economy), and found Singapore to be a little bit better than Qantas, particularly with the kids.  The last A380 we flew on with Singapore did look a bit tired, though.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JetBlast said:

What class are you flying? I can show you exactly what to expect,.

im flying economy, dont mind Manchester or Heathrow depending on the right combination of seats etc

1 hour ago, LKC said:

Our reasons were partly because it gave us extra baggage allowance, but more importantly it gave us extra room on the flight with a wriggly toddler!  We sat slightly further back, in a row of 4, so I could sit on one side with the baby, OH could sit at the other side, and toddler had the choice of two seats (which was great for sleeping with the armrests up).  

now that's a thought!! had not thought of the baggage... especially with the potential for increased emigration baggage allowance

Singapore Airlines Info for Manchester > Singapore

This is flight SQ52 Houston > Manchester  > Singapore. This is serviced by and Airbus A350-900 and this is one of the best aircraft in the fleet. The aircraft is new to the industry in general it is the Airbus answer to the Boeing 787 Dreamliner. The cabin is quiet on these planes compared to many other.

It has the following:

• Modern seats
  • Latest In Flight Entertainment with a touch large screen. This also has an HDMI input. You can also play video files from USB drives.
  • USB charging points
  • UK and AU Power sockets
  • WIFI

The seats are configured in a 3-3-3 layout. This is the same as the 777 and 787. The width of the 777 is wider but the 787 is narrower placing it in the middle.

I have attached some photos.

29919631313_480f43e39e_h.jpg

30436597922_5beff09b5f_h.jpg

29919668913_ddefa36857_h.jpg

Edited by JetBlast
  • Thanks 1

Singapore Airlines Info for Singapore > Melbourne

This is flight SQ217 Singapore > Melbourne . This is serviced by the older Airbus A380's. Again this has a quiet cain and a very low cabin altitude. This helps with jet lag. This flight uses an A380 with economy seats on the upper and lower deck. 2-4-2 upper deck and 3-4-3 on the lower deck. I would pick the upper deck. The window seats on the upper deck have an additional storage compartment near the window but if you want to sleep against it the gap is bigger.

It has the following:

• Seats from 2006
  • Older in-flight entertainment with a smaller screen (still wide screen) than the A350. However it is still better than many airlines such as BA.
  • USB charging points
  • UK and AU Power sockets
  • WIFI

I have attached some photos.

Singapore-Airlines-A380-Economy-Class-Review-13.jpg

DSC03983-830x554.jpg

Screen Shot 2018-09-14 at 20.20.40.png

Screen Shot 2018-09-14 at 20.20.21.png

Screen Shot 2018-09-14 at 20.20.02.png

Screen Shot 2018-09-14 at 20.19.39.png

Edited by JetBlast
  • Thanks 1

As you probably guessed the photos are not mine. They are from here - http://www.flighttravels.net/single-post/2017/12/15/Singapore-Airlines-A380-Upper-Deck-Economy-Class-Flight-Review-SQ863-Hong-Kong-to-Singapore

But the article isn't accurate. For example the size of the IFE screen is wrong and it isn't touch screen on the old A380.

Edited by JetBlast
  • Thanks 1

WOW @JetBlast!! thanks a lot!!

great to see a visual. of the A380's, when you say its older...would this mean older then the Emirates ones too? coz of the four Emirates ones I've been on, one of them felt quite ancient.

[edit] - nevermind...just read the article.. thanks again

Edited by SWMOY04
delete