and join in with discussions   
ask migration questions
message other members

..and much much more!

Perthbum

UK unemployment at lowest since 1975

5 hours ago, simmo said:

so they painted it white!!!!!  OMFG!!! obs nouveau riche

The locals weren't happy but apparently it would have originally looked pretty much like the finished picture.

"As the former owner of a Scottish property built in 1589, let me clear something up for those howling against the look achieved by rendering (or Harling as it's known locally) Stone buildings were built using the softer, flexible lime mortar. If you look closely at it, you can still make out fragments of sea shells. After the building was erected, this harling would be applied (usually in two 'coats') as a 'skin' to stop penetrating moisture. It would them be topped off with limewash. Some old cottages just went for the limewash over the bare stone. So this is an authentic look to the building, and as we see here in these pages, there is no way a council conservation officer would allow anything other than a period materials and finish. Essentially, it's been built to what it originally looked like, not what we THINK it should look like".

• Like 3

Other examples of 'white' castles in Scotland.

Blair Castle, Dunrobin Castle, Edinample Castle

blair castle.jpg

dunrobin castle.jpg

edinample castle.jpg

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Toots said:

The locals weren't happy but apparently it would have originally looked pretty much like the finished picture.

"As the former owner of a Scottish property built in 1589, let me clear something up for those howling against the look achieved by rendering (or Harling as it's known locally) Stone buildings were built using the softer, flexible lime mortar. If you look closely at it, you can still make out fragments of sea shells. After the building was erected, this harling would be applied (usually in two 'coats') as a 'skin' to stop penetrating moisture. It would them be topped off with limewash. Some old cottages just went for the limewash over the bare stone. So this is an authentic look to the building, and as we see here in these pages, there is no way a council conservation officer would allow anything other than a period materials and finish. Essentially, it's been built to what it originally looked like, not what we THINK it should look like".

fair play

• Like 1

5 hours ago, simmo said:

fair play

We learn something every day ! 

• Like 1

On 14/09/2018 at 13:34, Rallyman said:

He is clutching at straws if he thinks Turkey would be allowed to join the eu , he Cleary has no understanding of the situation , 

Who said about them joining  I said they would be the next wave of cheap immigrant labour, try reading what’s written rather than what you want to believe 

54 minutes ago, BacktoDemocracy said:

Who said about them joining  I said they would be the next wave of cheap immigrant labour, try reading what’s written rather than what you want to believe 

Ohhhh is this because they all leaving even though the UK has one on the highest minimum wages in Europe....😆

Drinking rum before 11am does not make you an alcoholic, it makes you pirate..

4 hours ago, BacktoDemocracy said:

What I belive ? What are you on about ? 

Turkey will not be allowed to join eu as you well know my reply was to another comment not anything you had posted. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, newjez said:

Does that make sense?

26 minutes ago, newjez said:

Does that make sense?

I give up, if you haven't been following the thread I cant be arsed to explain.

Edited by Perthbum

Drinking rum before 11am does not make you an alcoholic, it makes you pirate..