You're currently viewing the forum as a Guest
register-now-button_orig.png
and join in with discussions   
ask migration questions
message other members

..and much much more!

Perthbum

UK unemployment at lowest since 1975

UK unemployment fell by 65,000 to 1.36 million in three months to June - the lowest for more than 40 years, official figures from the Office for National Statistics (ONS) show.

They also show a rise in productivity, but a slowdown in wage growth.

Wages, excluding bonuses, grew by 2.7% in the three months to June, compared with a year ago.

The ONS figures also showed the number of European Union nationals working in the UK fell by a record amount.

The fall was the largest annual amount since records began in 1997. It continues a trend seen since the 2016 Brexit vote.

That contrasted with a rise in the number of non-EU nationals working in the UK to 1.27 million - 74,000 more than a year earlier.

• Like 2

Drinking rum before 11am does not make you an alcoholic, it makes you pirate..

31 minutes ago, Perthbum said:

UK unemployment fell by 65,000 to 1.36 million in three months to June - the lowest for more than 40 years, official figures from the Office for National Statistics (ONS) show.

They also show a rise in productivity, but a slowdown in wage growth.

Wages, excluding bonuses, grew by 2.7% in the three months to June, compared with a year ago.

The ONS figures also showed the number of European Union nationals working in the UK fell by a record amount.

The fall was the largest annual amount since records began in 1997. It continues a trend seen since the 2016 Brexit vote.

That contrasted with a rise in the number of non-EU nationals working in the UK to 1.27 million - 74,000 more than a year earlier.

Have you ever asked yourself how those stats work, what they mean?

Ask yourself, unemployment at its lowest for 40 years but wage growth barely keeping up with inflation.!

wages are being kept artificially low by zero hours contracts and EU labour are already voting with their feet and moving on to better pay elsewhere , and now we have the new cheap labour coming from even more under developed countries.

So we leave the EU with its labour protection laws and big business are already bringing in the new cheap labour on slave contracts from Asia and Africa which indigenous workers will have to compete with.

• Like 5

Only a net fall of 12,000 workers as EU nationals are largely being replaced by workers from further afield.  Mainly because of the reduction in the GBP as compared to the Euro Britain has become a less attractive place to work for Europeans who intend ultimately to either send money home or return home at some point with savings.

This does not affect workers from poorer countries and particularly countries where the currency is weak.

• There were 28.76 million UK nationals working in the UK, 332,000 more than for a year earlier.
  • There were 2.28 million EU nationals working in the UK, 86,000 fewer than for a year earlier (the largest annual fall since comparable records began in 1997).
  • There were 1.27 million non-EU nationals working in the UK, 74,000 more than for a year earlier.

Otherwise the numbers point out a trend which has been clear since the GFC.  The UK is transitioning gradually to a lower wage economy like the US in many respects.  The divide between the richest few and the poorest is growing as is the number of people in the second category.

Timeline: 309/100 Sent 7/8/13, Money Taken 9/8/13, CO appointed 3/9/13. Med 3/12/13. Police check 4/12/13. VISA GRANTED 8/4/14, Subclass100. Recce August 2014. Arrived 30 July 2015.

1 hour ago, BacktoDemocracy said:

Ask yourself, unemployment at its lowest for 40 years but wage growth barely keeping up with inflation.!

wages are being kept artificially low by zero hours contracts and EU labour are already voting with their feet and moving on to better pay elsewhere , and now we have the new cheap labour coming from even more under developed countries.

So we leave the EU with its labour protection laws and big business are already bringing in the new cheap labour on slave contracts from Asia and Africa which indigenous workers will have to compete with.

Not only this but the UK will wind up replacing a lot of short term European migrants with permanent non-European migrants.  Luckily Brexit was NOT about immigration!

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

Timeline: 309/100 Sent 7/8/13, Money Taken 9/8/13, CO appointed 3/9/13. Med 3/12/13. Police check 4/12/13. VISA GRANTED 8/4/14, Subclass100. Recce August 2014. Arrived 30 July 2015.

9 hours ago, BacktoDemocracy said:

Where will workers in the UK be less protected in law, after brexit?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Gbye grey sky said:

Not only this but the UK will wind up replacing a lot of short term European migrants with permanent non-European migrants.  Luckily Brexit was NOT about immigration!

wrong.  The gov has approved a 6 month temp farm work visa.  

3 minutes ago, simmo said:

What that has to do with my post I cannot imagine.

It doesn’t change the fact that the weaker pound has resulted in fewer eastern Europeans wanting to carry out this temporary work in Britain this year resulting in recruiting problems.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

35 minutes ago, simmo said:

If they can do it now without a visa, what makes you think you will attract more with a visa?

You are just swapping polish for Pakistani workers.

Something which should make you feel proud inside.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

2 minutes ago, newjez said:

If they can do it now without a visa, what makes you think you will attract more with a visa?

You are just swapping polish for Pakistani workers.

Something which should make you feel proud inside.

why should polish get preferential treatment to a Pakistani?

A temp working visa is just that. Clue: Its temporary and for workers.

28 minutes ago, simmo said:

It not to his agenda Simmo, you are wasting your time with him , careful he will throw the straw man argument in next if he can’t answer 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, simmo said:

No reason, but I just thought that after Rotherham you wouldn't be keen to increase their numbers.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, newjez said:

No reason, but I just thought that after Rotherham you wouldn't be keen to increase their numbers.

Why?

6 hours ago, simmo said:

Why?

Don't know mate - you just seem to have commented on a lot of threads that seem to be at odds with your brexit comments which are going to result in an influx of Pakistani immigrants. It's your agenda, not mine.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

6 hours ago, newjez said:

Don't know mate - you just seem to have commented on a lot of threads that seem to be at odds with your brexit comments which are going to result in an influx of Pakistani immigrants. It's your agenda, not mine.

my "agenda"? ... not sure what you mean. 

8 hours ago, newjez said:

And they’re Muslim!

On 10/09/2018 at 20:48, BacktoDemocracy said:

Better pay? where in Europe is the better pay and the benefits you can get in the UK? The minimum wage has grown a lot in the last 10 years.

Take a look at how the UK does against its European partners and then come back with an argument...cheers.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_European_countries_by_minimum_wage

Drinking rum before 11am does not make you an alcoholic, it makes you pirate..

1 hour ago, Perthbum said:

Better pay? where in Europe is the better pay and the benefits you can get in the UK? The minimum wage has grown a lot in the last 10 years.

Take a look at how the UK does against its European partners and then come back with an argument...cheers.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_European_countries_by_minimum_wage

And look at cost of housing

https://www.statista.com/statistics/722905/average-residential-square-meter-prices-in-eu-28-per-country/

2 hours ago, BacktoDemocracy said:

It also seems to me that anyone who still believes that the referendum was a ethical and a well thought out policy driven process and therefore a substantive vote for change is wilfully ignoring the facts as they become apparent.

A vote for change yes but exactly what change no one now seems to be able to define , other than those furriners are messing everything up.

No mater  what you think , Cameron in a bid to cling onto power rightly or wrongly gave the country a vote , the result which nobody thought would happen was to leave , For all your rants on here I would expect somebody like yourself to uphold democracy , it is in your name after all , other wise you are no better than the extremists that you hate with so much venom , you can’t have it both ways. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BacktoDemocracy said:

So this includes the cost of land ? 

Building land costs are at a premium 

with the land area available in  the uk it makes it one of the most populated countries in the eu so land value is more expensive 

Building regulations are a lot better in the uk than most of the eu 

you are not comparing apples with apples 

Edited by Rallyman
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Rallyman said:

So this includes the cost of land ? 

Building land costs are at a premium 

with the land area available in  the uk it makes it one of the most populated countries in the eu so land value is more expensive 

Building regulations are a lot better in the uk than most of the eu 

you are not comparing apples with apples 

It’s the cost of housing, that means you can live in it, you can buy it, it’s a house or do you think the rest of Europe lives in huts.

2 hours ago, BacktoDemocracy said:

It’s the cost of housing, that means you can live in it, you can buy it, it’s a house or do you think the rest of Europe lives in huts.

As I said you are not comparing apples with apples , let’s not be silly and say they live in huts , you have totally chosen to ignore the fact that when there is a shortage of something and it’s in demand ( building land in this instance ) you pay a premium for said item , you can still by property in the uk for far less than quoted in your artical , just more project fear  from you.

your report might be about London prices i don’t know,  it’s certainly not a reflective cost of the whole of the uk as you well know.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Rallyman said:

As I said you are not comparing apples with apples , let’s not be silly and say they live in huts , you have totally chosen to ignore the fact that when there is a shortage of something and it’s in demand ( building land in this instance ) you pay a premium for said item , you can still by property in the uk for far less than quoted in your artical , just more project fear  from you.

your report might be about London prices i don’t know,  it’s certainly not a reflective cost of the whole of the uk as you well know.

The point was about pay to migrant workers across Europe and I pointed out that that had to be relativised against the cost of living and a major component of that is the cost of housing, you then started a diversion to justify the cost of housing in UK and how that seemingly made work in the UK more profitable at minimum wage rates when housing costs are the highest in Europe which you then maintain has nothing to do with the relationship of housing costs across Europe to the cost of living and wages paid across Europe.

Does that clarify the issue.

If not I could try and make it more basic

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Rallyman said:

So!

The cost for the rest of Europe are for huts then!

4 hours ago, BacktoDemocracy said:

The point was about pay to migrant workers across Europe and I pointed out that that had to be relativised against the cost of living and a major component of that is the cost of housing, you then started a diversion to justify the cost of housing in UK and how that seemingly made work in the UK more profitable at minimum wage rates when housing costs are the highest in Europe which you then maintain has nothing to do with the relationship of housing costs across Europe to the cost of living and wages paid across Europe.

Does that clarify the issue.

If not I could try and make it more basic

No you did not say that your reply was “and look at the cost of housing “ 

the report is based on a average cost in major capital cities across Europe , 

London is one of the most expensive places on the planet never mind Europe as I said it not apples with apples 

I replied to your one sentence headline , project fear on your part , if you think the rest of Europe live in huts you do need to get out and about a bit more there is more to life than being a key board warrior 

Edited by Rallyman