UK Driving License

paulswin

Hi guys my son has moved back to UK 3 weeks ago and wants to transfer his au driving license to a UK one he’s a uk citizen but he’s read somewhere that you have to have lived in uk for 180 days before you can transfer your license   Insurance on a car is sky high if he has to keep his au one!

Guest The Pom Queen

Hi @paulswin unfortunately this is correct, it is 185 days you need to have had a permanent address for in the UK before you are classed as a resident. I will see if I can find the link for you

On 10/09/2018 at 00:20, paulswin said:

Oh thanks for that!  He’s not avhappy bunny as insurance will be high on an Aussie licence!

Out of interest... do you know how much they are charging him?  I will be in the same boat next year when we move home too ?

15 hours ago, paulswin said:

Hi TazG. I think he said it was £43 and he’s had to send his uk passport, birth certificate and oz driving licence the lady he spoke to said as long as you are going to live permanently in the uk then it’s all good!  He sent it off today!

Oh so he doesn't have to wait the 185 days?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hi TazG havent replied back yet as my son sent his UK passport off and AU drivers licence but it got lost/stolen in the UK post so he had to renew it all and is sending it off on Friday so will let you know when he gets it back!  He didnt send it registered in the UK but will next time even though it still shouldn't have disappeared!!!!

1 hour ago, paulswin said:

Hi TazG havent replied back yet as my son sent his UK passport off and AU drivers licence but it got lost/stolen in the UK post so he had to renew it all and is sending it off on Friday so will let you know when he gets it back!  He didnt send it registered in the UK but will next time even though it still shouldn't have disappeared!!!!

UK post losing/helping themselves to stuff! Whatever next!🙄

Very annoying for you. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Amber Snowball said:

UK post losing/helping themselves to stuff! Whatever next!🙄

Very annoying for you. 

Might not have been the postie.  It's becoming a lot more common in both  countries for people to go through letterboxes and pinch stuff.  Especially in blocks of flats, where it's so easy to get a master key for the letterboxes.

Edited by Marisawright

The driving licence place in UK sent letter back saying we need your passport and Drivers licence they only received his birth certificate!!!!!!!!!!!   All good now though hopefully it wont get lost/stolen again this time!!!!!!!!  Just a pain in the you know what to have to get it and pay for it all again!  The post office gave him 30 pounds back and said sorry!!

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...