Finding rental over Christmas

desreb

Hi all,

We’re moving back to Sydney around Christmas, and are wondering whether there are times which we should avoid for moving.

For example, in looking for a rental property, do rentals tend not to come up much in December, or January, or over the Christmas break? Or is it a good time to look for rentals?

Many thanks,

Damo

I'd say Christmas would be the worst time to arrive.  For one thing, you'll need to book three or four weeks in an AirBnB or holiday flat, to give you time to find a place to rent.  As you know, every man and his dog want to be in Sydney over New Year, so you'll find all short-term rental places jack up their prices, even if they're not close to the Harbour.

Also, many real estate agents close for the Christmas week and often for the week after New Year too, so you're going to lose two weeks effectively.

To sum up, I'd arrive in the second week of January. Alternatively, arrive first week of December so you have time to find and move into a place before the Christmas shut down.

Edited by Marisawright
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, desreb said:

Thanks! We’re currently planning to come over mid December, with flights booked, which gives us a week and a half before Christmas. I think we’ll stick with this!

Sounds like you’re stuck with it so good luck. Book your accommodation now as the whole of Sydney books out very early over New Years 

12 hours ago, desreb said:

Thanks! We’re currently planning to come over mid December, with flights booked, which gives us a week and a half before Christmas. I think we’ll stick with this!

Bit of a rhetorical question then ?

Finding a rental will be a nightmare you might find its cheaper to change your flights than pay the temporary accommodation costs that time of year.

We have some friends whose place we can use while they visit family for Christmas, so we’re looking to do that too.

It’s good to know that more than one person recommends a month to find a house. We only booked a rental for week each move , but the first time we were a couple with no children in Coogee, and the move back to the UK the first time was back into our old house. I am wondering whether landing on the 13th gives us enough time to find somewhere if the agents start winding down in Christmas week.

52 minutes ago, desreb said:

We have some friends whose place we can use while they visit family for Christmas, so we’re looking to do that too.

It’s good to know that more than one person recommends a month to find a house. We only booked a rental for week each move , but the first time we were a couple with no children in Coogee, and the move back to the UK the first time was back into our old house. I am wondering whether landing on the 13th gives us enough time to find somewhere if the agents start winding down in Christmas week.

You might well find a place in a week, but you can't guarantee it.

If you've lived in Sydney before, then you know that real estate agents aren't particularly helpful.  Many of them won't agree to arrange a private viewing for a rental property - they'll say, "The inspection' s on Saturday at ..., like it or lump it".  

If you're arriving on the 13th, then trawl realestate.com.au and domain.com.au and make a list of all the inspections you want to see on Saturday 15th, because that's your best chance of finding a place.  Some places will have another inspection on a weekday the following week, but not all, and I doubt there will be many on the 22nd.  Even if there are some inspections on the 22nd, there won't be time to process your application until after the Christmas break, so nothing will happen until at least January 7th. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, desreb said:

If you know the area and know where you want to be ,you can keep an eye on realestate.com and try emailing a few agents a week or two prior to you moving. I know 3 or 4 families who did this and managed to line up viewings for the first week they were here. Some agents might not respond as your not 'here', so contact a few and the outcome may well depend on demand in that area but it could also pay off and work well for you. Just don't pay or sign for anything until you have seen it in person.

Cal x

• Like 1

Guest The Pom Queen

To be honest I think you are going to struggle, I worked relocating people in Melbourne and the agents would shut everything down by mid December. The same for Far North Queensland. 

‘The only thing I can recommend is get looking on realestate a month before and see what is available, and see if your friends can arrange to view for you. I’ve never known anyone get a rental in a week unless it’s a property that has been on their books for a while and may not be the best.  Remember when a rental becomes available they post it on realestate, you then have to wait for them to arrange an open for inspection, usually on a Saturday for a 15 minute period. This limits how many you can see. You then have to submit an application, they do their checks etc, so allow 48 hours, some agents it can take a week. Then once accepted you have to go in and do all the paperwork, arrange a date for the keys, get the utilities turned on etc. That’s the process of you like the house and if you are accepted, if not then you are stuck waiting until the next open for inspections on other properties the next Saturday. 

‘When we did the relocation I would always say a minimum 4 weeks and 95% of the people struggled with that. Obviously I don’t know the Sydney market and it may be totally different where you are heading.

Another alternative is to look on Gumtree and find a private landlord who may be more flexible. I just hope you don’t feel rushed in to jumping for the first property offered and then regret it. Breaking a lease can be nightmares and see you being placed on a black list. 

Thanks again!

With our calendar we should get at least one good Saturday, and we learnt from the crazy rental era of 2014-16 and had glowing references and everything printed and signed in advance, so should be good to go.

Interestingly, LJH said this to us:

“Nov/Dec/Jan are our busiest times with the rental market and we tend to see prices being driven upwards. My advice to you at this stage would be to look at renting a property early November if you fiancés allow. Dec is a crazy month and properties get listed and rented super quickly.”

My skeptical mind says his insistence comes across that this agent is trying to pull a fast one and get us to rent sight unseen and paying for a month up front unoccupied. If we ignore hat bit, the rest says that this busy market with lots of listings is perfect for us, as there should be a lot of choice, but we need to be quick to get the right one. Is this “hyperactivity” actually the case? I would have thought the opposite.

D

I would say it will be quiet in second half of December, people want to be settled for Christmas and ready for the new school year.  We found there was nothing much on the market in January either.  Also as it is holidays some landlords can be hard to reach. It took the agents two weeks to get a response from the landlord and confirm our rental!

I would say to come early November but as you have made plans it might be worth asking if your friends can view for you and take videos etc. 

oh and as mentioned sort your temp accommodation early!

The other option might be a 3 or 6 month furnished let. At least you wouldn’t be rushed into signing a longer lease.

34 minutes ago, desreb said:

With our calendar we should get at least one good Saturday

Interestingly, LJH said this to us:

“Nov/Dec/Jan are our busiest times with the rental market and we tend to see prices being driven upwards. My advice to you at this stage would be to look at renting a property early November if you fiancés allow. Dec is a crazy month and properties get listed and rented super quickly.”

I love your optimism.  In your shoes I'd be chewing my fingernails and saying, "Yikes, I've only got one Saturday to find a place",  whereas you're saying, "We'll get one good Saturday, that's fine".  

I can imagine there being a flurry before Christmas because people who have to move (for whatever reason) will be anxious to get settled before the school holidays.  

• Like 1

I can imagine there being a flurry before Christmas because people who have to move (for whatever reason) will be anxious to get settled before the school holidays.  

Yep, including us. Many thanks. It’ll be hard for us to come earlier, but maybe we can at least prepare as much as possible in advance.

• 3 months later...

Well, we went for our first look yesterday. 4 inspections in Newport, none available in Bilgola.

Interestingly, the LJH agent - not sure if the same one as below - again told us that it’s their busiest time of year, and they hardly get any time on holiday.

So - although we found one ok option yesterday, we’re considering keeping looking for someone more appropriate.

D