Jump to content

You're currently viewing the forum as a Guest
register-now-button_orig.png
and join in with discussions   
ask migration questions
message other members

..and much much more!

Scott_Glasgow

Secondary Teacher 189/190 NSW

Recommended Posts

Hi all,

I am an NQT Secondary Teacher (Business Studies) and currently completing my NQT year in Scotland and will finish up in June 2019.  I have been scanning over these forums for a while, contacted a few agents and have now decided to try and get PR by applying for PR through 189/190 (NSW).

I have an Honours Degree in Marketing (4-year course), Masters in Global Mental Health, PGDE Secondary Education (1-year course with 90 days of supervised lessons).  I have now gathered all my documents and will get them certified next week and then send them off for the skills assessment.  I'm planning on booking my PTE test for the end of October and want to submit my EOI around November.

After speaking with some agents they stated that I will struggle to get an invite with 189 with 65 points but shouldn't have any issues applying for the 190 (NSW) with 70 points.  I am now at the stage where I am worried that I will waste money on a skills assessment and English test and don't have a chance with my points as I've read that it's becoming more difficult for secondary teacher invites.

Any other teachers in a similar position?

Thanks

Age: 30 points | Education: 15 points | English: 20 points (Still need to take PTE superior) | Sponsorships: 5 points (NSW)

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m a Special Needs teacher and got an invite from NSW for the 190 within 4 days, with 70 points. I think that secondary teachers are more in demand than special needs teachers, so I don’t think applying for the 190 will be a waste. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, niamhmulk said:

I’m a Special Needs teacher and got an invite from NSW for the 190 within 4 days, with 70 points. I think that secondary teachers are more in demand than special needs teachers, so I don’t think applying for the 190 will be a waste. 

Do you early childhood teachers are also in demand ?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 08/09/2018 at 13:23, niamhmulk said:

I’m a Special Needs teacher and got an invite from NSW for the 190 within 4 days, with 70 points. I think that secondary teachers are more in demand than special needs teachers, so I don’t think applying for the 190 will be a waste. 

Do you mind sharing your point details? Was that 70 without the state nom? Any from experience? And about how long ago was this?

I'm the 65 (70 if state nominated) point secondary teacher boat as well... just trying to figure out how in demand we are for NSW since the 189 will likely never happen. The states haven't really started rolling out invites for the year yet, just a handful here and there, but obviously not to me.

Just feeling a bit screwed since I got my Bsci and Mteach in AU... getting no love after investing over 160k in tuition. Had to leave my jobs when my work rights expired 6 months ago. Now I'm sitting around back in the US with my thumb up my butt waiting for an invite to go back to what I now consider home.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Karstedt said:

Just feeling a bit screwed since I got my Bsci and Mteach in AU... getting no love after investing over 160k in tuition. Had to leave my jobs when my work rights expired 6 months ago. Now I'm sitting around back in the US with my thumb up my butt waiting for an invite to go back to what I now consider home.

We see this all the time, people who think that studying in Australia will give them an advantage in getting a PR visa. What a pity no one warned you.  Are you getting the necessary teaching experience in the US?


Scot by birth, emigrated 1985 | Aussie husband applied UK spouse visa Jan 2015, granted March 2015, moved to UK May 2015 | Returned to Oz June 2016

"The stranger who comes home does not make himself at home but makes home itself strange." -- Rainer Maria Rilke

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

not sure about lately, but my wife got invited within 24hours of submitting EOI. 75points for 189 (could have been 80 with 5 bonus points from my skill, but agent wisely told us not to waste our money). granted within 5months.

BA Accounting, PGCE- Secondary Maths, AAT Dip, plus experience, all 9's IELTS and 30yrs old.

according to our agent back then, he figured points were gonna be key, hence he suggested we go with the teacher 75[80bonus] points and not the nurse (me) 70[75bonus]

 


Melbourne... ahhhhhh😊

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, SWMOY04 said:

not sure about lately, but my wife got invited within 24hours of submitting EOI. 75points for 189 (could have been 80 with 5 bonus points from my skill, but agent wisely told us not to waste our money). granted within 5months.

BA Accounting, PGCE- Secondary Maths, AAT Dip, plus experience, all 9's IELTS and 30yrs old.

according to our agent back then, he figured points were gonna be key, hence he suggested we go with the teacher 75[80bonus] points and not the nurse (me) 70[75bonus]

 

That’s pretty fast. When did she apply for her 189? 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Karstedt said:

Do you mind sharing your point details? Was that 70 without the state nom? Any from experience? And about how long ago was this?

I'm the 65 (70 if state nominated) point secondary teacher boat as well... just trying to figure out how in demand we are for NSW since the 189 will likely never happen. The states haven't really started rolling out invites for the year yet, just a handful here and there, but obviously not to me.

Just feeling a bit screwed since I got my Bsci and Mteach in AU... getting no love after investing over 160k in tuition. Had to leave my jobs when my work rights expired 6 months ago. Now I'm sitting around back in the US with my thumb up my butt waiting for an invite to go back to what I now consider home.

I had 30 for age, 20 for English and 15 for education. I didn’t claim any experience. So I had 65 plus 5 for the 190, and I lodged the visa on the 16th June.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Marisawright said:

We see this all the time, people who think that studying in Australia will give them an advantage in getting a PR visa. What a pity no one warned you.  Are you getting the necessary teaching experience in the US?

No way am I teaching in the US, only thing worse than the pay is the environment. Besides by the time I get 5 points for xp I'll lose 5 on age. If I can't get an invite for AU I'll try to go somewhere else, I'd seriously rather teach in a rural South African village than the US. If I'm stuck in the US I will do a PhD in quantum physics/computing.

4 hours ago, niamhmulk said:

I had 30 for age, 20 for English and 15 for education. I didn’t claim any experience. So I had 65 plus 5 for the 190, and I lodged the visa on the 16th June.

You must have been like the last person invited, they closed the 190 2017-18 program a couple days after that. I applied on June 6th...  so mixed news for me... good to hear nearly the same point breakdown (I'm age 25, edu 20, eng 20) got invited, but I did apply just before you. I think special needs has higher priority than secondary too though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Karstedt said:

No way am I teaching in the US, only thing worse than the pay is the environment. Besides by the time I get 5 points for xp I'll lose 5 on age. If I can't get an invite for AU I'll try to go somewhere else, I'd seriously rather teach in a rural South African village than the US. If I'm stuck in the US I will do a PhD in quantum physics/computing.

You must have been like the last person invited, they closed the 190 2017-18 program a couple days after that. I applied on June 6th...  so mixed news for me... good to hear nearly the same point breakdown (I'm age 25, edu 20, eng 20) got invited, but I did apply just before you. I think special needs has higher priority than secondary too though.

Have you applied for 190? 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote

 If I'm stuck in the US I will do a PhD in quantum physics...

Don't!

W Russell BA BSc PhD (QED) BEd


Westly Russell Registered Migration Agent 0316072 www.pinoyau.com

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Areyousure said:

Have you applied for 190? 

Yes, June 6... just before they closed for the fiscal year.

45 minutes ago, wrussell said:

Don't!

W Russell BA BSc PhD (QED) BEd

LOL, why not? I aquired a taste for Qphysics during my Bsci... maybe just because I have an affinity for the difficult to comprehend. I'm a 'how stuff works' guy, so digging into chemistry/physics at the smallest scale is fun for me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Karstedt said:

Yes, June 6... just before they closed for the fiscal year.

LOL, why not? I aquired a taste for Qphysics during my Bsci... maybe just because I have an affinity for the difficult to comprehend. I'm a 'how stuff works' guy, so digging into chemistry/physics at the smallest scale is fun for me.

All the best ?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am feeling a bit stupid - I can’t see how I go through the skills assessment for a secondary school teacher?? I have set up an immi account but the only 189 visa I can select is the New Zealand path??
Trying to work out how to get the assessment done and submit an expression of interest.
Can anyone advise me?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, sclarke99 said:

I am feeling a bit stupid - I can’t see how I go through the skills assessment for a secondary school teacher?? I have set up an immi account but the only 189 visa I can select is the New Zealand path??
Trying to work out how to get the assessment done and submit an expression of interest.
Can anyone advise me?

You need to apply to AITSL for the skills assessment 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Did anyone have any issues when they posted their skills assessment? I've looked at my tracking number and it looks like the AITSL still haven't received it. Anyone know what "awaiting clearance" means?

It's on its way

Most recent update

Arrived awaiting clearance (Inbound)
SYDNEY NSW
Date & timeMon 01 Oct • 06:45pm

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

AITSL is slow as... don't expect it to take under 6 weeks, probably closer to 8 weeks. I think they mark all their mail, "Do not open until 40 days after receiving".

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Did anyone have any issues when they posted their skills assessment? I've looked at my tracking number and it looks like the AITSL still haven't received it. Anyone know what "awaiting clearance" means?

It's on its way

Most recent update

Arrived awaiting clearance (Inbound) SYDNEY NSW Date & timeMon 01 Oct • 06:45pm  

Having recently sent documents to QCT, it appears that international post goes through Sydney and is cleared before moving on to its domestic destination. I think ours took 2 days before being cleared. Tracking updated and it was delivered a few days after that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey everyone! 

I am about to book my IELTS test but unsure if I should select the general or academic. I need to score all 8's for the additional 20 points - any advice?

Scott 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Scott_Glasgow said:

Hey everyone! 

I am about to book my IELTS test but unsure if I should select the general or academic. I need to score all 8's for the additional 20 points - any advice?

Scott 

If it is just for the visa points then you can do general. If AITSL are asking for it then it’s academic but you should be able to use your UK qualifications.

General is slightly easier I believe. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Jsmull87 said:

If it is just for the visa points then you can do general. If AITSL are asking for it then it’s academic but you should be able to use your UK qualifications.

General is slightly easier I believe. 

Brilliant - thanks!

I've already had my skills assessment back from AITSL in November.

I'll get the the general test booked now 🙂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi everyone, I submitted my EOI, 70/75 (189/190NSW) but haven't received any invitation yet. I was just wondering if teachers are actually being invited. 

Regards

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×