What would you do 482 or 489?

Dieselmike

Hi all,

As you can see from my title my wife and I are a little stumped of the best way to move forward.

To give a little background we are looking to emigrate to Queensland and open to where we live my trade is a Diesel Mechanic and I currently have 55 points, we are looking at a 2 options at the moment:

Option 1 - 489 Visa - with the additional points given by the state we would have 65 in total.... This is also based on the English and Trade Test results if all goes well and then submit our EOI, if we are lucky to get picked then apply for a Visa and take it from there.

Option 2- 482 - TSS - (I currently have a opportunity with a employer waiting in the wings) My current skill set is on the medium/long term and if all goes well after 3 years with this company and if they are willing and able we can apply for PR.

I would be keen to see what others would do in this situation.

The TSS is a temporary visa, as you know.  If you've got a job offer then it's probably worth grabbing, because they should offer you some help with relocation expenses. Also having a job is a great advantage, as some permanent migrants can take six months to find a job after they arrive, and that's a long time to survive on savings. 

However, you need to be prepared for the fact that it is only temporary.  These forums are littered with people who came on a 457 (the old TSS) feeling fairly confident their employer would do the right thing, the rules wouldn't change, and they'd transition to a permanent visa. They didn't, and they had to go home again.  Which is not a problem if you kept your home and rented it out, and planned your life on the basis it was only temporary.  If you're stupid, sell up and invest everything in Australia on the basis that you'll probably transition to PR, you're setting yourself up for heartbreak.

2 hours ago, Dieselmike said:

Hi all,

As you can see from my title my wife and I are a little stumped of the best way to move forward.

To give a little background we are looking to emigrate to Queensland and open to where we live my trade is a Diesel Mechanic and I currently have 55 points, we are looking at a 2 options at the moment:

Option 1 - 489 Visa - with the additional points given by the state we would have 65 in total.... This is also based on the English and Trade Test results if all goes well and then submit our EOI, if we are lucky to get picked then apply for a Visa and take it from there.

Option 2- 482 - TSS - (I currently have a opportunity with a employer waiting in the wings) My current skill set is on the medium/long term and if all goes well after 3 years with this company and if they are willing and able we can apply for PR.

I would be keen to see what others would do in this situation.

You could probably go with option 2 and apply for 489, while in Oz?

On 07/09/2018 at 11:05, Marisawright said:

The TSS is a temporary visa, as you know.  If you've got a job offer then it's probably worth grabbing, because they should offer you some help with relocation expenses. Also having a job is a great advantage, as some permanent migrants can take six months to find a job after they arrive, and that's a long time to survive on savings. 

However, you need to be prepared for the fact that it is only temporary.  These forums are littered with people who came on a 457 (the old TSS) feeling fairly confident their employer would do the right thing, the rules wouldn't change, and they'd transition to a permanent visa. They didn't, and they had to go home again.  Which is not a problem if you kept your home and rented it out, and planned your life on the basis it was only temporary.  If you're stupid, sell up and invest everything in Australia on the basis that you'll probably transition to PR, you're setting yourself up for heartbreak.

Hi Marisa, Thanks for your reply.

I think the main concern is that if we are going to move across the other side of the world we are all in and don't want to be another family that is heart broken, having to come back.

The plan now is to wait until end of 2019, see if I'm able to get superior English in the interim, if not take a 482 Visa if the opportunity if it comes round again and apply for PR while in Australia as Areyousure mentioned!

On 07/09/2018 at 12:45, Areyousure said:

You could probably go with option 2 and apply for 489, while in Oz?

Hi Areyousure,

Thanks for the idea. I think that is the plan going forward going to give it until the end of 2019 before we start looking again this give us time to save do the trade/ English test and take it from there.

• Like 1