Additional applicants for Partner visa who are offshore

Guest1076

Hi everyone,

I applied for a partner visa last June this year here in Australia.  I have 2 children who are at my home country (they are from my previous marriage) and I was not able to include them in my original application online (the system didn't accept maybe because they are not here in Australia).  Now that I have my bridging visa A, me and my partner want to add them in my application.  My question is, if I add them can they come here in Australia soon?  We want them to be here at least by January 2019 so they can start their schooling here in Feb.

I called the Home affairs customer service and the lady said if I add them now they need to wait until my visa is granted, meaning they need to wait for 2 years before they can come here.  She said that if I want them to be here then I need to get a visit visa, bring them here before adding them to my application.  Our worry is, they might not be accepted in secondary school until their visit visa expires.

Need your advise please.  Thanks in advance.

22 minutes ago, Guest1076 said:

Hi everyone,

I applied for a partner visa last June this year here in Australia.  I have 2 children who are at my home country (they are from my previous marriage) and I was not able to include them in my original application online (the system didn't accept maybe because they are not here in Australia).  Now that I have my bridging visa A, me and my partner want to add them in my application.  My question is, if I add them can they come here in Australia soon?  We want them to be here at least by January 2019 so they can start their schooling here in Feb.

I called the Home affairs customer service and the lady said if I add them now they need to wait until my visa is granted, meaning they need to wait for 2 years before they can come here.  She said that if I want them to be here then I need to get a visit visa, bring them here before adding them to my application.  Our worry is, they might not be accepted in secondary school until their visit visa expires.

Need your advise please.  Thanks in advance.

I' advise speaking to an agent. Its complex and you wouldn't want to get it wrong. 

Presumably you included them as non-migrating dependents?

Below is general advice only and should not be acted on without consulting further with a registered migration agent

Dependent children can be added to a  820 visa before it is decided. They need to be located in Australia AND hold a visa that does not have a condition that excludes them from applying for a further visa onshore. If dependent children are passport holders of an E-visa or ETA eligible country then this won't be an issue. 

When applying for a partner visa from a visitor visa the bridging visaconditions are generally NIL which means that their may not be restrictions on study once they hold a Bridging visa A however this may still mean that you will have to pay for their education until the 820 visa has been granted as holders of Bridging visas are generally required to pay overseas student rates. 

A dependent child can be added to a granted 820 visa either onshore or offshore if they hold a Dependent Child visa. 

On 08/09/2018 at 12:41, ali said:

I would echo the advice to seek professional advice.  You will also need to gain the permission of their other parent 

We don't have any form of communication nor knowledge on the where about of their father since we parted ways for more than 8 years ago.  No financial support too.  Thanks.

On 07/09/2018 at 16:22, ZoeHoulding said:

My understanding , as ive emailed the education department in Australia, if a child comes over on a tourist visa they are entitled to go to school but you have to pay, even if its a public school, the costs I found to be quite steep. 

This is also the reason why I am hesitant to get a tourist visa for my children but a friend of mine was able to enroll her child in a private school and pay the regular fee.  I think it is still depends on the school management (private) on how they treat it.  Thanks for the note.

On 13/09/2018 at 12:11, Sue Battistin said:

Below is general advice only and should not be acted on without consulting further with a registered migration agent

Dependent children can be added to a  820 visa before it is decided. They need to be located in Australia AND hold a visa that does not have a condition that excludes them from applying for a further visa onshore. If dependent children are passport holders of an E-visa or ETA eligible country then this won't be an issue. 

When applying for a partner visa from a visitor visa the bridging visaconditions are generally NIL which means that their may not be restrictions on study once they hold a Bridging visa A however this may still mean that you will have to pay for their education until the 820 visa has been granted as holders of Bridging visas are generally required to pay overseas student rates. 

A dependent child can be added to a granted 820 visa either onshore or offshore if they hold a Dependent Child visa. 

We are considering to get a tourist visa for them before adding them in my 820 application.  Thanks.