Am i mad!?

Hanbo24

On ‎07‎/‎09‎/‎2018 at 08:07, Marisawright said:

Odd, isn't it. I grew up in Scotland and in fact, never left the country until I was 18 (and then only to go to England!). Yet I never had that feeling of being "at home" until I arrived in Australia, and suddenly I just felt I belonged.  No logic as my family has no connection to Oz. 

Similar to me Marisa .. I feel more content here in Aus than I did in the UK - I did wonder if it was an age thing lol

On ‎07‎/‎09‎/‎2018 at 14:05, Hanbo24 said:

Interesting comnents, thank you everyone. We moved because we thought it would be a better lifestyle for us and our kids. At the time it felt right and I'm sure once I get back to my Australian home it will feel right again. I do worry about both sets of parents but also feel that our kids are missing out on the family units in oz although we have great friends, its not family and i honestly still don't like Christmas in oz!!! emoji23.png

One of the things to consider that has been mentioned by some is that after a while moving back you don't see your friends as much as everyone slots back into their everyday lives as you do yours.  Whichever way you move Aus to UK, UK to Aus, being on holiday isn't quite the same as living there.  My hubby is only just getting used to a hot Christmas and we've been here 11 years

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, ali said:

Similar to me Marisa .. I feel more content here in Aus than I did in the UK - I did wonder if it was an age thing lol

And me.  I am 57 though.  Only been here 3 years but cannot imagine ever returning.

I am also a total Grinch about Christmas so love, love, love that it is hot so at least the holidays are not wasted being indoors over indulging in food and drink, most of which I don’t like much.....otherwise you wouldn’t have them only once a year.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Gbye grey sky said:

And me.  I am 57 though.  Only been here 3 years but cannot imagine ever returning.

I am also a total Grinch about Christmas so love, love, love that it is hot so at least the holidays are not wasted being indoors over indulging in food and drink, most of which I don’t like much.....otherwise you wouldn’t have them only once a year.

We've certainly developed some new traditions - brunch outdoors on Christmas day

• Like 1

3 hours ago, simmo said:

Just trying to inject some common sense into the thread toots.  I dread to think the number of Poms who have wasted a lot of time and money moving to aus based on fantastical threads on here, just to come back to the UK thinking "oh why didn't we listen to that "negative nellie" simmo.  

Do you feel that way about your own journey Simmo - that you wasted your time and money moving to Aus?

On 09/09/2018 at 19:07, SWMOY04 said:

where was your  common sense when I decided to come to the UK in the first place?

just because YOU (I assume) hate[d] Oz and you love the UK and it works out better for you, that doesn't mean everyone will experience the same. granted, SOME people will feel like you...

I don't think I knew you when you decided to move to the UK,  If I did I would probably been able to offer some invaluable advice (never mind) 

FYI i didn't hate oz, I learned a lot, made some good friends (mainly aussies) but lets not make this all about me (unless you want too? happy to answer any questions).  Yes !! some will feel the same as me .. some won't.  Don't get too excited over it.

the last post I made, was to clarify my position on all the direct comments about MY move to Australia. yet they have been edited and some deleted.

oh well. i guess thats how it is here.

On 09/09/2018 at 18:35, simmo said:

I don't think I knew you when you decided to move to the UK,  If I did I would probably been able to offer some invaluable advice (never mind) 

FYI i didn't hate oz, I learned a lot, made some good friends (mainly aussies) but lets not make this all about me (unless you want too? happy to answer any questions).  Yes !! some will feel the same as me .. some won't.  Don't get too excited over it.

if you ask for my (very balanced opinion) my comment that was deleted was no worse than this from Simmo.

Anyway... let's stay on topic.

I'll reiterate a few things that have been lost through all this.

I have lived in many countries... developed and non developed

I'm not British...

I love England, bu have never ever felt home here even though I've lived more than half my life here...

I've had a bit of a mini-obsession with Oz since I could first read and comprehend Readers digest (I must have been 8-10yrs old or so)...

I've been even more Oz obsessed the last ten years and actively worked on getting myself ready for a 189. applied last year, granted last year, activated this last Oz winter and absolutely felt at home in my time there.

moving in a few weeks time. 

can't wait:)

disclaimer: Not all stories are like mine bla bla bla ... I think that's what a certain poster is trying to say, by going after my entries on this thread.

• Like 1

Been lots of threads like this over the years 

and everyone is unique in their own way 

we change , age , what suits now may not in 10/20 years time 

children , parents affect our decisions 

once you move from your birth/home place 

life is an adventure , the future always unpredictable 

the best way I’ve found , from constantly moving , country to country 

is to do and enjoy what suits you and your family’ unit for now 

don’t burn bridges , keep an open mind 

life’s too short to not appreciate where you are now 

sure plan your future , persue your goals , but once you’ve stepped off a familiar path

life has a way of often surprising us , don’t understamate family pull .

• Like 9

Hi Hanbo24, no you're not mad! I've just got back from a visit to the UK and I slotted back in straight away. I can understand how you feel.  I felt totally at home and most importantly, probably the happiest I'd been for a long time. It was just brilliant seeing family and friends and catching up. I could quite easily have stayed. It was awful getting back on that plane again, and I did it with a heavy heart. I'm back now and just getting on with things. Here for another 2 and a half years at least as youngest is still in school and I've just started a degree, then I might reassess. Just wanted to wish you luck.

• Like 4

On ‎07‎/‎09‎/‎2018 at 06:31, simmo said:

its psychological, when you invest a lot mentally and financially your brain tries to convince you you made the right choice. 

Well summed up.  

Family and friends to me are everything.  Far more important than stupid big houses, beaches or scorching hot weather.   

Everybody on here will give you a different answer remember.

Whatever your heart is telling you to do is the correct answer. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Gbye grey sky said:

If family and friends are everything to you then don’t emigrate.  It will end in regret.

That's very true. I think that the people who prosper most living in a new country are those who don't look back, and being close to family and friends invariably leads you to do just that. I also think that you need to have a real interest in your new country, a passion if you like if you're to get the most out of living there. 

Edited by Saurer Pfirsich
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, Saurer Pfirsich said:

That's very true. I think that the people who prosper most living in a new country are those who don't look back, and being close to family and friends invariably leads you to do just that. I also think that you need to have a real interest in your new country, a passion if you like if you're to get the most out of living there

Not sure that is true.  Personally I can still be objective about the UK and Australia and see good and bad in both.  I think I will always be an England supporter and have an interest in British current affairs and politics.

However I agree about being forward looking being a thoroughly helpful trait.  I have never looked back on anything with rose-tints and always look to the future.  Whether I continue to do so as I enter my 7th decade remains to be seen.  Most old people I know tend to look back more for obvious reasons.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Saurer Pfirsich said:

That's very true. I think that the people who prosper most living in a new country are those who don't look back, and being close to family and friends invariably leads you to do just that. I also think that you need to have a real interest in your new country, a passion if you like if you're to get the most out of living there. 

I agree with your first sentence. I don't agree with the second.  People who have a "passion" for any country tend to be one-eyed and probably talking themselves into believing it's wonderful.  There are good and bad points about every country in the world.

• Like 4

I came back to the UK 3 years ago after over 9 in Australia. Although it's taken adjustment here, I NEVER felt that 'at home' feeling down under, and it got very exhausting in the end. The old friends who were still around welcomed me back- we had all changed through life stages- but it made me truly appreciate a sense of belonging and 'being myself' again. Sometimes I walk around places in England and I well up- the sense of belonging somewhere still hits me even after 3 years back. I love going away and coming back to the UK. It's an amazing, diverse, challenging and wonderful place. For me, it will always be home, even if I travel again. No plans to leave- since getting back, i've got 'fresh eyes' and find everything so very interesting- i'm a sucker for history, and i'll never be bored in the UK. Also truly value the old and new people in my life here. I've found it much easier to make new friends in the UK. That's my experience anyway. 

• Like 12

• 1 month later...
On 14/09/2018 at 12:14, meme78 said:

I came back to the UK 3 years ago after over 9 in Australia. Although it's taken adjustment here, I NEVER felt that 'at home' feeling down under, and it got very exhausting in the end. The old friends who were still around welcomed me back- we had all changed through life stages- but it made me truly appreciate a sense of belonging and 'being myself' again. Sometimes I walk around places in England and I well up- the sense of belonging somewhere still hits me even after 3 years back. I love going away and coming back to the UK. It's an amazing, diverse, challenging and wonderful place. For me, it will always be home, even if I travel again. No plans to leave- since getting back, i've got 'fresh eyes' and find everything so very interesting- i'm a sucker for history, and i'll never be bored in the UK. Also truly value the old and new people in my life here. I've found it much easier to make new friends in the UK. That's my experience anyway. 

The U.K. is truly amazing yes. We’ve been back over 10 yrs now and love it.

On 07/09/2018 at 01:07, Marisawright said:

Odd, isn't it. I grew up in Scotland and in fact, never left the country until I was 18 (and then only to go to England!). Yet I never had that feeling of being "at home" until I arrived in Australia, and suddenly I just felt I belonged.  No logic as my family has no connection to Oz. 

Its not strange, Same as me, had to leave SA went to UK which I loved but have itchy feet and tried Oz, it made me realize how much the UK felt like home,  SA is in my heart but UK is home and always will be

• Like 1

On 07/09/2018 at 01:36, Hanbo24 said:

Long time no chat on here, we moved to oz 6 yrs ago and we love it....or so i thought! Im back for a "holiday" and haven't felt so at home, i slotted back in with family and friends, like I've never been away...i mentioned it to dh (who's still in oz with kids) but he said he doesn't really want to start all over again if we moved back.  Meaning mortgage, job, new furniture etc. I can just see it being much easier than moving to oz. Am i mad to persue it or do i let it drop and go back and enjoy oz again?! I know no one can live my life but just after opinions of those that have maybe done it?

Thanks

If you were single I'd say "do It" although I'd also caution you that a holiday in summer is not the same as living and working there all year round. Also, based on my own experience, each time I've gone to either England or Australia it's been like emigrating all over again.

• Like 1