Newcastle upon Tyne

Beckfield

Hi everyone, are any of you familiar with Newcastle?  If so, which areas are safe/unsafe, and which are pleasant environs.  We have young adults who will be relying on public transport.  Any info appreciated.  We have looked online but the opinions are quite conflicting.  Thank you!

29 minutes ago, Toots said:

I always liked Newcastle but haven't been there for a long time now.  Last time I was back in the UK I visited a friend who retired from Newcastle to the north end of Whitely Bay.  She is really enjoying living there.  It's 10 miles from Newcastle.

Thanks Toots, that's helpful.  Whitely Bay looks lovely from the pictures online.

I spent a big chunk of last year in Whitley Bay and was amazed by it. The sea front has been totally refurbished and has a really good buzz about it. During summer the council hold free concerts in the park opposite the sea every weekend - not just little local bands, but big international acts. 

Newcastle is also doing incredibly well and has a boom feel about it with a huge amount of new investment. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, VERYSTORMY said:

I spent a big chunk of last year in Whitley Bay and was amazed by it. The sea front has been totally refurbished and has a really good buzz about it. During summer the council hold free concerts in the park opposite the sea every weekend - not just little local bands, but big international acts. 

Newcastle is also doing incredibly well and has a boom feel about it with a huge amount of new investment. 

Sounds like you enjoyed it Verystormy.  I looked at Whitley Bay on images and it's really beautiful. We were going to go to Scarborough, which is more or less home for us, but we are concerned there mightn't be many employment options - especially for young daughter.  I have a fear of the unknown, with Newcastle, as we are a quiet country family and it looks to be an enormous city.  Fantastic for entertainment, uni, etc, but could be overwhelming for very "un-streetwise" girl!  House is going back on market this coming week.  Gave up last time after 9 months.  Here's hoping!  Thanks for your interesting reply.  

I’m from the north east and know Newcastle very well. It all depends on what you’re after and what your budget is too! The likes of Jesmond and gosforth are nice and very close to the city, but it’s expensive and things like parking are a nightmare. Both have great pubs and restaurants and shops though. If you’re after the coast, tynemouth and Whitley bay are nice but are quite expensive too. A little bit further up you’ve got Seaton delaval and Blyth where it’s a bit cheaper but still right on beach. I’d stay clear of the west end of Newcastle. There’s lots of country villages and towns around Newcastle like throckley, wylam and bigger places like Hexham and Morpeth are nice too. Newcastle’s weather might be a bit damp and chilly but it’s a fantastic city. So many great shops, bars, restaurants as well as theatres and museums. You’re never bored! It has a great buzz and the Christmas markets around greys monument are so christmassy you soon forget how cold it is! Can you tell I miss it?! ?

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, juliaoz01 said:

I’m from the north east and know Newcastle very well. It all depends on what you’re after and what your budget is too! The likes of Jesmond and gosforth are nice and very close to the city, but it’s expensive and things like parking are a nightmare. Both have great pubs and restaurants and shops though. If you’re after the coast, tynemouth and Whitley bay are nice but are quite expensive too. A little bit further up you’ve got Seaton delaval and Blyth where it’s a bit cheaper but still right on beach. I’d stay clear of the west end of Newcastle. There’s lots of country villages and towns around Newcastle like throckley, wylam and bigger places like Hexham and Morpeth are nice too. Newcastle’s weather might be a bit damp and chilly but it’s a fantastic city. So many great shops, bars, restaurants as well as theatres and museums. You’re never bored! It has a great buzz and the Christmas markets around greys monument are so christmassy you soon forget how cold it is! Can you tell I miss it?! ?

Hi Juliaoz01.  This is fabulous info..  Thanks so much.  I have noted the areas you mentioned and am about to google real estate there.  Yes, I can tell you miss it...  I feel for you.  Homesickness comes in waves, in my experience.  Sometimes it's a dull ache and other times it's full blown agony.  I hope you can get home for a "Newcastle fix" soon.  Thank you again for all the info.  

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Hi 

We are a family of 5 currently in Perth. Newcastle is our home.. great for all ages. We have moved several times in Australia we never feel settled. Newcastle keeps calling me home 😬.. 

We have a house in Wallsend but Whitley bay is my favourite place . I just love living at the beach.. Tynemouth and Monkseaton are also lovely.We aim to move back soon, with children Whitley is perfect for us as has great Schools.. 

Hope your move goes smoothly.  

• 3 weeks later...
On 31/12/2018 at 10:29, Red Hot Chili Pipers said:

Hi 

We are a family of 5 currently in Perth. Newcastle is our home.. great for all ages. We have moved several times in Australia we never feel settled. Newcastle keeps calling me home 😬.. 

We have a house in Wallsend but Whitley bay is my favourite place . I just love living at the beach.. Tynemouth and Monkseaton are also lovely.We aim to move back soon, with children Whitley is perfect for us as has great Schools.. 

Newcastle is a fantastic happening vibrant place. A lot of my close relatives are from Newcastle.  Perth doesn’t even touch Newcastle.  I never think about weather because the relentless suffocating dry desert heat of Perth and slapping on greasy sunblock all the time is far worse than clean fresh winter air we have just now. Summer in Newcastle area is great as you have miles of lovely clean beaches to enjoy.  Sure you can’t swim with the sharks like you do in Perth but it’s far far better than being stuck away out there isolated so far from the whole world. The  UK economy is doing rather well these days too so it’s a good time to be coming back home to the best country on this planet.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On Monday, December 31, 2018 at 18:29, Red Hot Chili Pipers said:

Hi 

You love being at the beach but can't settle in Perth? It's got some of the best beaches in the world 15 minutes from the City, free parking at most of them.

Were you down the beach this weekend? If not you missed a treat. Best weekend of the summer so far.

Edited by Paul1Perth

On 31/12/2018 at 21:29, Red Hot Chili Pipers said:

Hi 

My sister and I were looking at old family photos yesterday.  One of them was of our Mum, her sister and their Mum walking arm in arm along the Whitely Bay promenade all happy and smiling.  Lovely photo.  Must have been taken around the 1940's.

1 hour ago, Toots said:

My sister and I were looking at old family photos yesterday.  One of them was of our Mum, her sister and their Mum walking arm in arm along the Whitely Bay promenade all happy and smiling.  Lovely photo.  Must have been taken around the 1940's.

We've got lots of photos from when we were kids taken at Whitley Bay and Cullercoats, we used to take the train from South Gosforth station carrying flasks and sandwiches etc😀 We even had a few warm days!

• Like 1

On 21/01/2019 at 20:53, Drumbeat said:

We've got lots of photos from when we were kids taken at Whitley Bay and Cullercoats, we used to take the train from South Gosforth station carrying flasks and sandwiches etc😀 We even had a few warm days!

When I was working in the Lake District a friend and I met two nice lads from Whitely Bay.  They took us for a visit and we all had a fab time at the Spanish City funfair.  Ahhhhh good memories.  😄

• Like 1

• 6 months later...
  • 3 months later...
On 01/08/2019 at 08:04, Chortlepuss said:

I’m going to Newcastle next week as a start of a two month touristy break around the UK. Never been and looking forward to it but just checked the weather forecast 😂 never mind, i’ll Pack my brolly!

Just to say I absolutely loved it! A great vibrant city, beautiful coast, can see that it would be a brilliant place to live - especially near the sea

On 12/09/2018 at 03:08, juliaoz01 said:

And the people are some of the best 👍

On 01/08/2019 at 06:04, Chortlepuss said:

I’m going to Newcastle next week as a start of a two month touristy break around the UK. Never been and looking forward to it but just checked the weather forecast 😂 never mind, i’ll Pack my brolly!

It looks grim in bad weather but the geordies love a laugh and a few pints.

Stay in the pub if it's raining.

Edited by Paul1Perth

6 hours ago, VERYSTORMY said:

Glad you liked it. The north east actually has a lot to offer. 

I haven't lived in Newcastle since 1986 but I'll always be a Geordie. My sister and I were on the Quayside in August, we loved the town beach. When we were kids no-one would have thought the Quayside would become a cultural centre.