Police check and medical for 489

Jonno1981

Hi all,

We should hopefully get a decision from South Australia for subclass 489 SS latest 28th November 2018 (20 weeks from date of application). However, my wife, son, and I will be on holiday overseas from 1st December 2018. I will return to UK 5th January 2019, but my wife and son will be staying on until 1st week in March 2019. 

If we are lucky enough to get sponsored by South Australia, my fear is we get asked to provide police checks and medicals whilst we are away. This could delay the proces by up to 3 months, which I would like to avoid if possible.

My question is; should I arrange police checks and medicals for November 2018 so that we are covered for every eventuality without delaying the process, or wait until all of us are back in the UK and get the checks done in March 2019?

Conscious doing it before we go away is a somewhat risky approach as we could be forking out for the checks without actually knowing if we will obtain state sponsorship. Also aware that this will give us less time to validate our visa, although not so concerned with this as we would jump on a flight the next day after our visa came through (if necessary). 

Hello,

You have applied to the state government to ask if they will sponsor you. After SA approve this it will go to the federal government application process. This will take 10 (75%) - 15 (90%) months. Its during this point you will need to provide the police check and medical. So you will have plenty of time to provide these documents.

Thanks

Edited by JetBlast
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, JetBlast said:

Hello,

You have applied to the state government to ask if they will sponsor you. After SA approve this it will go to the federal government application process. This will take 10 (75%) - 15 (90%) months. Its during this point you will need to provide the police check and medical. So you will have plenty of time to provide these documents.

Thanks

Thanks @JetBlast,

However, is it not the case there have been many cases where these documents are requested fairly swiftly after initial invite, or if front loaded result in a direct grant within a much shorter time frame?

1 hour ago, VERYSTORMY said:

The co will request medical and police checks just before grant as it is the last part of the process

Thanks @VERYSTORMY,

Do they set a time limit to respond to the request for checks? I.e, would it be an issue if say they ask for them in January, but we cannot submit until March? I appreciate this is unlikely to happen.

Hi Jonno,

Still looking forward to that beer on Henley beach ?

Remember to keep in mind that the date of the health or police check, whichever is earlier, determines your entry date into Aus. They're only valid for a year, which is why you definitely should not get these done before you apply for the visa. At the current timing of 10 - 15 month months, they may go out of date which would cause bigger problems later on. Getting them done after you apply for the visa will stop this from being an issue.

Jon

• Like 1

4 hours ago, JonandSophietravel said:

Hi Jonno,

Still looking forward to that beer on Henley beach ?

Remember to keep in mind that the date of the health or police check, whichever is earlier, determines your entry date into Aus. They're only valid for a year, which is why you definitely should not get these done before you apply for the visa. At the current timing of 10 - 15 month months, they may go out of date which would cause bigger problems later on. Getting them done after you apply for the visa will stop this from being an issue.

Jon

Thanks Jon,

As advised, I've decided to wait until asked for the documents.