Sydney to QLD- mermaid beach?

newtoallofthis

Hi all, 

we moved from England to Sydney in June and although my husband and I earn a fair amount between us we have found that the property here is just too expensive. We don’t want to live in an apartment and that seems to be all we can afford here. 

We are thinking of moving to QLD, and have come across the areas Southport and Mermaid Beach. Does anyone have any experience of these areas? We have 3 children from toddler to high school so we need great schools and childcare. And we love the beach so need to be near one- that’s something we can’t comprise on :) 

Any help gratefully received! 

Guest The Pom Queen

Hi @newtoallofthis I like the Goldcoast but I think if you are wanting to live on the beach and away from apartments then there are better places in Qld to choose from. The areas you mention are the popular tourist spots and traffic can be chaotic. We have stayed there in apartments and also spent 2 month at Nobby’s Beach a few years ago. At one point we even considered purchasing an apartment there, but I could never live there full time, it’s just too busy.Do you have to be in that area for work?

You could go off the coast somewhere like Varsity Lakes, Robina etc. Or look to the North of Brisbane, Redcliffe is nice or the Sunshine Coast is even nicer. 

‘There will be members on here who have more experience living on the Coast than me so hopefully they will see your post and come along to help soon.

13 hours ago, newtoallofthis said:

Hi all, 

we moved from England to Sydney in June and although my husband and I earn a fair amount between us we have found that the property here is just too expensive. We don’t want to live in an apartment and that seems to be all we can afford here. 

We are thinking of moving to QLD, and have come across the areas Southport and Mermaid Beach. Does anyone have any experience of these areas? We have 3 children from toddler to high school so we need great schools and childcare. And we love the beach so need to be near one- that’s something we can’t comprise on ?

Sunshine Coast would be better for a young family but it will depend on what work you do

• 1 month later...
Hi all, 

We are thinking of moving to QLD, and have come across the areas Southport and Mermaid Beach. Does anyone have any experience of these areas? We have 3 children from toddler to high school so we need great schools and childcare. And we love the beach so need to be near one- that’s something we can’t comprise on [emoji4] 

My husband & I (no kids) relocated to the GC a few weeks ago. We spent 3 glorious years on Sydney’s northern beaches & like you, we’ve been driven out by the crazy property prices & were desperate to get away from apartment living.

Mermaid Beach is fab! It’s pretty lively & popular with bars and a cafe scene. It’s close to Burleigh & Broadbeach & all of the other stunning beaches & creeks in the south. All of the beachy suburbs between Broadbeach & Palm Beach have higher rents though due to their popularity, and the houses are older so you don’t get quite as much for you money. We arrived with a view to live in Mermaid, Miami or Burleigh & we’ve ended up putting an application in for a house in Runaway Bay. Personally I’d avoid Southport. They say Southport & Labrador are pretty rough, and it’s always busy with traffic and stuff. If you need public transport it would be handy for that. Check out Paradise Point - we’ve fallen in love with it. Reminds us more of the northern beaches where we lived. Real sort of community/family cafe & bistro scene. They have a beautiful waterfront and walkways too. Mermaid would be quite full on in comparison. Traffic is pretty heavy down that way too which is worth bearing in mind. Check out Palm Beach & Currumbin as well. They’re south. Both have quite a lot going on and lovely beaches.

Thank you! After spending two weeks looking around we have also fallen for runaway bay! We looked at a lot of houses while we were there and loved it! Maybe if we end up moving there we can meet up! Haha 

Runaway Bay is fab! I probably prefer Paradise Point but there was nothing on the market that we wanted to apply for, and I guess it’s just that tiny bit further north too which could be problematic. For sure we could meet up when you move - we could end up neighbours :)