Jump to content

You're currently viewing the forum as a Guest
and join in with discussions   
ask migration questions
message other members

..and much much more!

Sign in to follow this  
Guest africka

Looking for a working break in Oz

    Recommended Posts

    Guest africka

    Hi everyone

    My name is Andrea and my partner (Steve) and I are looking to do some work in Australia for 4-5 months or so over the winter period whilst our house in France is for sale. We also have a house in England but don't want to return there! My partner is an Engineer (electronics) and I am a teacher (IT and English) but I don't really want to teach formally anymore. We would consider any type of work and have just finished a complete renovation on our French property, I was trained in secretarial work and Steve has run his own plumbing and heating business in the UK. We would consider doing just about anything in these fields, but are quite happy with casual fruit picking, etc etc.


    Any advice about whether we need visas, what sort, how to get one etc or do we just arrive as tourists and search for some work then?


    Thanks for any replies!

    Andrea and Steve from Torquay, UK/Cahors, France

    Share this post

    Link to post
    Share on other sites

    If you’re between 18 – 30, this would be the best Visa for you:


    Working Holiday Makers


    The Working Holiday Program provides opportunities for people between 18 and 30 to holiday in Australia and to supplement their travel funds through incidental employment.

    The visa allows a stay of up to 12 months from the date of first entry to Australia, regardless of whether or not you spend the whole time in Australia.

    You are allowed to do any kind of work of a temporary or casual nature, but work for more than three months with any one employer is not permitted.

    Australia has reciprocal Working Holiday maker arrangements in effect with the United Kingdom, Canada, the Netherlands, Japan, Republic of Ireland, Republic of Korea, Malta, Germany, Denmark, Sweden, Norway, the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region (HKSAR) of the People's Republic of China, Finland, the Republic of Cyprus, France, and Italy, Belgium, Estonia and Taiwan.


    For more info and the application procedure: http://www.immi.gov.au/allforms/visiting_whm.htm'>http://www.immi.gov.au/allforms/visiting_whm.htm


    If you’re over 30, your options are very limited. Check out http://www.immi.gov.au to see if you fall into any of the categories.


    P.s It's illegal to work in most countries, including Australia, without the correct visa.

    Share this post

    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Guest bob and ginnie

    British citizens have recently been allowed to gain an extra year's holiday visa, making it two years in total, by working for at least a three month period on agricultural work, such as fruit picking, grapevine pruning, cattle station work, etc.

    Aussies are getting pretty lazy nowadays and don't want to do the work out in the sun too much, so if you are willing to do some work outside for a 3 months' spell, you get to work an extra year Down Under.

    Check out New Zealand's working visa program for British citizens too. You can avail yourselves of a couple of years there, so if you lobbed up in the Antipodes in 2006, you needn't go back till 2010 if you play your cards right. By that time you will not want to go back to Britain and you could apply to migrate to Australia or NZ.

    Share this post

    Link to post
    Share on other sites

    Create an account or sign in to comment

    You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

    Create an account

    Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

    Register a new account

    Sign in

    Already have an account? Sign in here.

    Sign In Now

    Sign in to follow this  

    • Similar Content

      • By jinxbrand
        Hi all,
        I came to Australia a year ago to marry my boyfriend. We got married in June 2016 and filed for the partner visa the month after. We've been together since 2012 and have known each other since 2006. I'm American but came from an overseas location as I was working in Asia when we got engaged (during a holiday together)
        I spent Uni studying foreign languages and teaching, and an opportunity has come up for me to teach overseas again. Which I would love to do since I don't have the right certifications to teach in Australia (or the money to get the certifications.)
        I've currently only been able to hold a 6 month job here in Australia as my longest and more temp work, all in customer service which is quite discouraging for an aspiring teacher.
        I'm currently on my bridging A visa and it states I have to be in Australia when the 820/801 visa is granted, I understand that part. Am I able to work overseas after it is granted? The agent/migration service I spoke to on the phone stated if I needed to leave I could go on a Bridging B visa and just come back after 3 months, apply for another bridging B and go back. As you all may guess, that would add up quickly. They said my Visa decision for the 820/801 can be anytime from now until December.
        I CAN postpone me leaving for the job but I need to know I can leave on the 820/801 visa (with the possibility of only visiting once a year) As this job position is in a University, I have a possibility of getting tenure and working permanently for this company. 
        At this point, would it be better to go through the visa process or withdraw it and request a refund? (Would the refund even be granted?? 7000 is a lot to lose!) Every time we call we have to be on hold for a few hours and we never get all our questions answered, most answers are left at "I dunno, maybe it's okay" 
        Thanks all