Claiming Centrelink Pension

Patphillips47

Am asking for a friend who is planning to move back to Oz permanently  -she is an Australian citizen and I think she would be eligible  to claim a Centrelink pension 

I know she has to be in Oz to claim the pension but trying to establish once she claims is there a time limit before she can travel back overseas and is there a time limit on how long she can stay overseas ?

She is a tad concerned that her house in the UK does not sell quickly and she might have to go to and fro in the interim 

I have tried to look on the Centrelink site but cant seem to find specifics ?

Any help would be appreciated

There is a residency requirement for the Age Pension.  The normal thing is that you must have lived in Australia for two years before you claim.  If you've just returned and declare you're planning to settle, they will start paying you immediately, BUT you still have to "serve" the two years from then on.

https://www.humanservices.gov.au/individuals/enablers/age-pension-if-you-travel-outside-australia/31171

Here's the relevant part of the website:

"If you come back to live in Australia from another country and start getting Age Pension, your payment stops if you go overseas during the next 2 years."

It's not so strict that she can't go on holidays, short breaks usually don't count - she would just have to let Centrelink know.  However, there's really no reason for her to go to and fro just to sell the house.  Everything can be done electronically these days.

Edited by Marisawright

2 hours ago, Patphillips47 said:

Thanks Marissa that's appreciated I know I had read it 'somewhere" but could not find it again lol 

I think shes just worried the house does not sell for ages and she might have to go sort something out ie rent it 

Why would she have to go back to rent it out?   I'd think she could manage most of it long-distance.