Error in Citizenship application

nakulm

Hi all,

I am receiving the following error on page 6/ 34 of my citizenship application, citizenship by conferral. I meet the requirements as of today and not sure why I am not able to move past this page. 

I clicked on the residence calculator too and entered all my dates (Which is in a different window) 

The applicant is unable to proceed with this application. Access the Residence calculator to check when the applicant will have been in Australia long enough to be eligible for Australian citizenship.

And when does it say you meet the requirements on the calculator?  You might have to wait a day to qualify. Depends on your exact dates and how you count the days actually on Australian soil.  Alternatively have you fallen foul of having an invalid or visa at any point, like gaps abroad while waiting for an RRV?

• Like 1

Hi,

The calculator doesn't give a date. After entering 1) Permanent Residence Date, 2) Lawful Residence Date and 3) Intended Lodgement Date, it gives me 

"..Residence requirement met: Yes..". 

Then I am clicking Next on the application page #6 and I still receive that error. 

No, no foul or no invalid visa. 

All,

Is it a requirement to be in Australia after submitting your application? It is a bit confusing as it says "You have to be present in Australia at the time of decision". Does that mean an applicant cant/ shouldn't travel out of country? 

On a separate note, is it ok to leave the country for a few months for work after submitting the application? 

10 hours ago, nakulm said:

All,

Is it a requirement to be in Australia after submitting your application? It is a bit confusing as it says "You have to be present in Australia at the time of decision". Does that mean an applicant cant/ shouldn't travel out of country? 

On a separate note, is it ok to leave the country for a few months for work after submitting the application? 

Hi @nakulm, I already replied on one of your separate post. As mentioned, you can travel after submitting your application, but you will not be invited for the test until you come back in Australia.

@Zet01 Thanks a lot for your response. I guess the issue for me is I haven't decided if the short-term job is there for me and at the moment I don't have any confirmed plans of a travel date. From what I am reading in the forums, it should be ok to work/ travel internationally, but as you mentioned I wont be able to progress until I am back in country.

Thanks

• 9 months later...

I realise this is an older post, but I had a similar question. I arrived in Australia on a partner visa on June 30 2015 and have been a permanent resident since Nov 27 2017. I am looking to submit my online citizenship application this Jun 30 2019 as it will have been 4 years being in Australia and over 1 year as a permanent resident. The online residence calculator states I am eligible to submit on Jun 30 2019, but will I have a similar problem as nakulm above in trying to submit on that date? Must I wait until July 1 to submit? Will it simply possibly not allow me to submit application on Jun 30. Secondary question, if it does allow me to submit application but I was meant to submit on July, can they reject or deny my application for submitting a day early? I am obviously a bit paranoid about the process and simply want to get it right. Side note, I have not traveled out of the country for more than 60 days in the four years I have lived in Australia and haven't traveled at all in the last year in a half. Thank you for your replies.

On 03/09/2018 at 21:49, Nemesis said:

If you became eligible on the 3rd, then it would not let you apply until after the end of the 3rd. The whole of the day has to be complete for it to count. 

Not in our case. Our PR was granted 14 June 2018 and at midnight last night the form on Immi Account let me continue (it previously stopped me when i had tested earlier).

14 June 2018 - end 13 June 2019 is equal to 1 year, literally speaking, therefore 00:01 on 14 June 2019 and the application is allowed.

Edited by millski88
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Ausa0000 said:

I realise this is an older post, but I had a similar question. I arrived in Australia on a partner visa on June 30 2015 and have been a permanent resident since Nov 27 2017. I am looking to submit my online citizenship application this Jun 30 2019 as it will have been 4 years being in Australia and over 1 year as a permanent resident. The online residence calculator states I am eligible to submit on Jun 30 2019, but will I have a similar problem as nakulm above in trying to submit on that date? Must I wait until July 1 to submit? Will it simply possibly not allow me to submit application on Jun 30. Secondary question, if it does allow me to submit application but I was meant to submit on July, can they reject or deny my application for submitting a day early? I am obviously a bit paranoid about the process and simply want to get it right. Side note, I have not traveled out of the country for more than 60 days in the four years I have lived in Australia and haven't traveled at all in the last year in a half. Thank you for your replies.

Just wait a day to be sure. Really not going to delay things much. It can take some time to fill in the application anyway. 

Good advice rammygirl, my only fear is by waiting until July 1 and then having the government pass a bill extending the time requirements and having it apply retrospectively back to application received on or after July 1 2019. I am probably way over thinking things though.lol.

Understand meeting the requirements at the time of the application. When you say it will be refused, do you mean you won't be able to proceed with online application if you are lodging too early? Or will it still allow you to apply online but then refuse it 12 months down the road when they look at it?

I don’t know if the system will calculate your eligibility and let you apply if you are or won’t if you are not, BUT if it lets you apply and you haven’t met the residence requirements it will be refused when they open your application potentially 12 months down the line. 

So, make sure you are eligible at the time of lodgement in the event the system doesn’t calculate it properly/doesn’t have that ability. 

All the best

There’s an option of calling immigration/DoHA to check on your date of eligibility.

A friend entered their dates into the DoHA calculator and was given an eligibility date. When she then tried to fill in the online form for citizenship by conferral, just like you, it wouldn’t let her go past page 6 either, giving an error message about not meeting the residency criteria. She called immigration who asked some questions to verify her identity, and were told that her  eligibility date was about a week later. She then proceeded to apply on the given date and it allowed her to proceed past page 6 and complete the application. 

Apparently my friend had forgotten a business trip overseas that she had taken when she keyed the dates into the calculator.

Obviously immigration know when you’ve met the residency requirements. And since it’s coming from the proverbial horse’s mouth(DoHA), I’m assuming it is probably the most accurate way of knowing when one meets the residency requirements?

• 7 months later...

Hi All,

I have a related question to this thread.  I too am stuck at page 6/34 of my citizenship application, citizenship by conferral. I am not eligible to apply until February 17 but I would like to continue to work on my application so that I can be ready to apply on Feb 17.  However, I can't get past page 6 seemingly becasue I haven't hit the one year mark yet. 

Am I not even allowed to work on the rest of the application until my eligibility date?  I was hoping to work through the rest of the pages, upload relavent documents and then hit the submit button on the 17th of next month but at this stage I am stuck at page 6.  Has anyone else had this issue or can they offer any advice.

Thanks in advance.

3 hours ago, MLW said:

Hi All,

I have a related question to this thread.  I too am stuck at page 6/34 of my citizenship application, citizenship by conferral. I am not eligible to apply until February 17 but I would like to continue to work on my application so that I can be ready to apply on Feb 17.  However, I can't get past page 6 seemingly becasue I haven't hit the one year mark yet. 

Am I not even allowed to work on the rest of the application until my eligibility date?  I was hoping to work through the rest of the pages, upload relavent documents and then hit the submit button on the 17th of next month but at this stage I am stuck at page 6.  Has anyone else had this issue or can they offer any advice.

Thanks in advance.

I was told by an employee of Home Affairs that the system will not allow you to proceed past page 6 if you do not meet the residency requirement for citizenship. Sadly I believe you will have to wait until your eligibility date to proceed further. I submitted my application on my residency eligibility date and had no problems proceeding all the way through, and the entire application did not take too long.