Advice on Launceston, Burnie and Devonport

JamesLee7158

Hello there,

I am so glad that I found this amazing website!! I have been at a crossroads on where I should move to.I am from Malaysia and will be moving to Tasmania hopefully in June 2020 on the 489 Visa. I am single.  I do not intend to move to Hobart as it seems expensive to rent an apartment there.

MY main concerns are:

1) Job prospects

2) Crime rate

3) The friendliness of the locals. 

Any advice on Launceston, Burnies and Devonport will be much appreciated. Thank you.

What sort of work do you do?  Job prospects in Devonport and Burnie (depending on what you are looking for) are very limited.  There is fairly high unemployment and you would be competing with the locals for work.  Launceston might be a better bet.  The locals can be a bit parochial but I've met some lovely people and now have friends and a social life.  Devonport on the whole is a safe place but there are areas that are not so 'nice' and assaults and burglaries do happen - same in Burnie.  

Hello Toots,

Many thanks for the post. I work as a private tutor in Malaysia and I hope to get a managerial work in Tasmania. I am still not sure where I would want to settle down as I haven't been to Tasmania.

Does the living cost between Hobart and Launceston differ a lot? According to realestate.com, it seems to me that the rental is so much higher in Hobart.

Thanks again Toots for the information.

Regards. 

6 hours ago, JamesLee7158 said:

Does the living cost between Hobart and Launceston differ a lot? According to realestate.com, it seems to me that the rental is so much higher in Hobart.

I think the only difference in living costs would be rental.

• Like 1