Vetassess Electrical skills assessment in Blackburn

Colshy86

Hi,

Im new to this, however was wondering if there is anyone out there who has completed the skills assessment for general electrician through vetassess in Blackburn recently? I have my assessment on 20th September and don’t really know where to start with studying for the written exam. Is this exam multiple choice or all written answers? I’m quite comfortable with the other three sections as I have been refreshing myself on most of this. Any help and advice would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

colin

Did mine in London but sure it’s similar. It’s electrical principles and theory. Mostly science based. If you had asked this question two weeks ago I could of sent you the practice material I had but I had clear out and binned it. 

They do supply a sheet with formulas etc. The questions are mixed in style. Few maths style (show your working out) some mult choice and some briefly explain. 

Edited by Jsmull87

• 2 weeks later...
On 31/08/2018 at 22:11, Colshy86 said:

Hi,

Im new to this, however was wondering if there is anyone out there who has completed the skills assessment for general electrician through vetassess in Blackburn recently? I have my assessment on 20th September and don’t really know where to start with studying for the written exam. Is this exam multiple choice or all written answers? I’m quite comfortable with the other three sections as I have been refreshing myself on most of this. Any help and advice would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

colin

Hi colshy86 my husband is sitting his the 19th sept in Blackburn, what have you been studying for practical or is there any help you can pass on?

cheers

fiona

On 12/09/2018 at 14:51, fionaallan1 said:

Hi colshy86 my husband is sitting his the 19th sept in Blackburn, what have you been studying for practical or is there any help you can pass on?

cheers

fiona

Hi, sorry I’m a total lose end as to where to start, I would really appreciate if your husband can fill me in tomorrow on what to expect 

Hi,
Cheers
colin

Hi Colin,

I did mine in April this year in Blackburn. The assessor is helpful and doesn’t want to fail anyone. I doubt all theory parts are the same, but I got questions on -

Resistors in parallel
Resistors in series
Calculating capacitance in a circuit
Calculating motor efficiency
Calculating the power of a circuit using the resistance
Calculating turns on a transformer winding

There were also questions around selection of motors, thermostats, smoke detectors. There were a few easy questions too that anyone could answer!

Good luck with it!

Andy

• 2 weeks later...
On 20/09/2018 at 14:37, Colshy86 said:
On 20/09/2018 at 14:37, Colshy86 said:

Just heading home from it not was finished for 1.30 and smashed it, feeling very happy at th moment! 

sweet dude!! Ive got mine on the 15th November quite nervous, been reading everything vetassess supply you and it feels quite intense. Was just wondering if you could in lighten me on how the day went what questions were ask and what questions were on your written exam etc. I'm trying to get as much revision in as possible I hate exams. I really appreciate any information you give me and good luck with the rest of your visa application. 

• 1 month later...

Hi

Plz help me to get an idea about vetassess skill assessment. I applied for elctronics equipment trade worker 189.Anyone have any idea about vetassess assessment. Is there interview and practical both?  Plz help me to prepare for interview. I don't have any idea about assessment.

Thankyou

• 2 weeks later...

Any body got a recommendation on the best (easiest) place to do the general electrician skills assessment in melbourne??

Or you guys that have recently done it have any tips or pointers on what to study etc.

And any1 know if there is any short/refresher courses available to prepare for it as my theory is pretty rusty at this stage.

All help is appreciated 

Thanks

Hi.

Had my results come through today, although I did the assessment in London with future skills. The theory is the hardest part especially if it's been a while, everything else is very straight forward. I was given a booklet when I booked my assessment which was everything you needed really.

You planning on using future skills or vettassess?

Thanks

Hi.

Had my results come through today, although I did the assessment in London with future skills. The theory is the hardest part especially if it's been a while, everything else is very straight forward. I was given a booklet when I booked my assessment which was everything you needed really.

You planning on using future skills or vettassess?

Thanks
Hey,
Well done, im presuming you passed?
Havent decided who to use yet, still weighing up cost & test locations etc. Only heard of future skills whiles researching tonight. Had been thinking vetassess or vic uni & yes the theory is worrying me the most. Its been a while!

Yes mate. I passed thankfully, it's quite a expensive day to have to pay for it all over again lol.

I can't account for the other two but future skills was a relaxed day and they don't want you to fail. Nudge you in the right direction if they can see your nearly there.
Your given all the equations on a sheet, so not expected to know them off by heart.

Nice 1, yeah might give them a buzz tomorrow & find out where they sit the test & how much employment history proof they need. Some companies i worked for no longer exist & arent interested in providing any help lol.
How much did they charge in the uk to sit it?

• 6 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I did my assessment in Blackburn and as previously mentioned they are not looking to fail you they just want to make sure you are competent. 

The written exam was not as bad as I thought I studied for weeks and learned all the equations again and then was provided with all the equations anyway 🤦🏼‍♂️ We were given 2 chances to make sure we achieved the percentage mark. First time was marked and then 2nd opportunity to get over the line on questions that were wrong. The group I was in I think there was only 1 person that needed to rectify a couple of answers. 

The practical exam was pretty easy just a very basic set up similar to the AM2 but much easier. You have to test install afterwards too which they keep a close eye on. 

Had to do a fault find on a tube heater. Mine was just a short to earth on the heater. 

I was not confident on the motor circuit but wasn’t too bad. Had to draw it out first and add the components in off the sheet. I got stuck on one but the guy pointed me in the right direction and it all made sense. Just a basic stop start motor and contactor. The wiring was done on a push in connector board using flying leads. Once the motor worked he just swapped a few leads around and had to put it back together again. 

That was nearly 4 years ago now though so not sure if things have changed