Indonesian family planning to move between Melbourne or Perth

bonita megaputri

Melbourne VS Perth  

5 members have voted

1. 1. Melbourne vs Perth

• Melbourne
    • Perth

Hi There,

we're young family with 2 kids (3 yo and 1 yo). we're from Indonesia and recently received our Australia citizenship. we're planing to move from Jakarta, Indonesia to Melbourne or Perth. still don't know which area to decide. we're looking to a safe place to raise kids, a friendly people, good education for the kids, good jobs opportunity in warehousing/barista/communication industry. 

we have visited melbourne last year and stay there for quite some time. we love the city, but the real estate price is quite something. $400-$500k house is about 1-2 hour train from melbourne CBD. so we really need some informations about this 2 cities to decide which one is better to live.

thanks before ?

11 minutes ago, bonita megaputri said:

Hi There,

we're young family with 2 kids (3 yo and 1 yo). we're from Indonesia and recently received our Australia citizenship. we're planing to move from Jakarta, Indonesia to Melbourne or Perth. still don't know which area to decide. we're looking to a safe place to raise kids, a friendly people, good education for the kids, good jobs opportunity in warehousing/barista/communication industry. 

we have visited melbourne last year and stay there for quite some time. we love the city, but the real estate price is quite something. $400-$500k house is about 1-2 hour train from melbourne CBD. so we really need some informations about this 2 cities to decide which one is better to live.

thanks before ?

You really need to go where the work is - what profession are you in?  

Very lucky to be moving with citizenship already, means you aren't tied to any job or state sponsorship

The thing to remember is that all cities have bad neighbourhoods and good neighbourhoods.   Houses in good neighbourhoods are always more expensive than houses in bad neighbourhoods. 

In Melbourne, with such a small budget, you will end up having to buy in a bad neighbourhood, a long way from the city.  In Perth,you have a much better chance of affording a nice neighbourhood.   

So I think that means Melbourne is not suitable, even though job opportunities are good. 

Have you considered Brisbane?

• Like 1

You have citizenship or a visa? If a visa, do you have restrictions on where you must live? Best option is to go where you can get a job, everything else will fall into place as there is no magic “best place for children” there are kids and families all over the place. Obviously you will get more bang for your buck in smaller towns/cities with respect to accommodation but work might be harder to find.

1 hour ago, bonita megaputri said:

Hi There,

thanks before ?

Perth is much more closer to Jakarta than Melbourne, so that’s another point for Perth? As the other users have told, it depends a lot on your occupation and personal preferences as well.

also if you are a citizen, Northern Territory is giving 15,000$ to families which move over there, so Darwin? Closest Australian city to Indonesia. 

Edited by Areyousure
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Nemesis said:

You really need to go where the work is - what profession are you in?  

Very lucky to be moving with citizenship already, means you aren't tied to any job or state sponsorship

my husband are searching for supply chain (warehousing) or barista job. and my self will housewife because we have 2 little boys at home. yes we're moving with citizenship, thank God my husband was born in OZ so the government grant him with citizenship ?

2 hours ago, Marisawright said:

The thing to remember is that all cities have bad neighbourhoods and good neighbourhoods.   Houses in good neighbourhoods are always more expensive than houses in bad neighbourhoods. 

In Melbourne, with such a small budget, you will end up having to buy in a bad neighbourhood, a long way from the city.  In Perth,you have a much better chance of affording a nice neighbourhood.   

So I think that means Melbourne is not suitable, even though job opportunities are good. 

Have you considered Brisbane?

yes i also thinking bout better chance of housing in Perth. i've never think about brisbane, is it good there?

2 hours ago, Quoll said:

You have citizenship or a visa? If a visa, do you have restrictions on where you must live? Best option is to go where you can get a job, everything else will fall into place as there is no magic “best place for children” there are kids and families all over the place. Obviously you will get more bang for your buck in smaller towns/cities with respect to accommodation but work might be harder to find.

my husband is citizen and i'm spouse visa. oh i dont know there's restriction to live with visa, is it include spouse visa?

2 hours ago, Areyousure said:

Perth is much more closer to Jakarta than Melbourne, so that’s another point for Perth? As the other users have told, it depends a lot on your occupation and personal preferences as well.

also if you are a citizen, Northern Territory is giving 15,000$ to families which move over there, so Darwin? Closest Australian city to Indonesia. 

thank you for the info, i will look more about darwin as well. 

• Like 1