Italian wedding advice

Nizzlers

Hi 

This situation might be so specific to me and my partner that no-one else has been through this experience before but if anyone has any advice for planning a wedding in Italy, I'd be very grateful.

My girlfriend and I are planning to get married in Italy next year.  We're British citizens and have PR.  We're currently waiting on Oz citizenship and should know some time next year.

We've hit a stumbling block in that we need either a CNI from the UK or a Nulla Osta from Rome, but to get either of those takes time and going back to complete in person, and it's unfortunately time we can't afford to take in terms of work and money, and in addition to the time we set out for the wedding with work.

However we understand, that as permanent residents, we may be able to get a CNI from the DFAT over here.  Has anyone had experience of this?  Or know someone who has been in a similar situation?

Any advice will be greatly appreciated

Thanks

Yes, been in a similar situation, and we were both Australian citizens at the time.  I can't remember all the ins and outs but I think the bottom line was, DFAT couldn't certify documents issued by another government, so it didn't work for us.

in the end, we got married legally in Australia at a registry office. We arranged it with less than a week to go, got married in a registry office the day before we flew, had a knees-up with Aussie friends and family that evening, flew out with a hangover, then did the whole thing again in Greece.  They were happy to go ahead with the ceremony there, it just didn't have any legal effect. 

Funnily enough, I'm glad it happened that way.  We had a great day getting married in Sydney, very informal with no pressure to have "the perfect day", and it gave our Australian friends a chance to celebrate, and then we got the fairy-tale setting and gorgeous photos from our Greek "wedding" too.

https://smartraveller.gov.au/services/legalising-documents/pages/australia.aspx#i-want-to-get-married-overseas-can-dfat-help

Edited by Marisawright