417 visa and allied health work

MargAKOT

There are no restrictions on where you can work on a WHV.  You can work for only 6 months with the same employer though, then you need to move on.

However, the question is whether anyone will be willing to employ you.    In some professions, you can't just arrive and work based on your UK qualifications, you have to go through a certification or licensing process. I have no idea whether that applies to allied health.

Thanks. Glad to hear what you say about no restrictions of type of work. Ive read the visa requirements and my interpretation is that if you want to apply for a second visa then you must do three months of work in certain industries and health is not on that list. Just wanting to check. And yes, there are extensive procedures around professional registration including supervised practice and a whole bunch of paperwork. I am actually a potential Australian employer who has had an inquiry from a UK OT and I’m willing to jump through all the hoops for the person if it’s actually possible. 

1 hour ago, MargAKOT said:

Thanks. Glad to hear what you say about no restrictions of type of work. Ive read the visa requirements and my interpretation is that if you want to apply for a second visa then you must do three months of work in certain industries and health is not on that list. Just wanting to check. And yes, there are extensive procedures around professional registration including supervised practice and a whole bunch of paperwork. I am actually a potential Australian employer who has had an inquiry from a UK OT and I’m willing to jump through all the hoops for the person if it’s actually possible. 

The problem is that the person can only work for the same employer for a maximum of six months, then they must move on

Edited by Marisawright

If you're looking to hire an overseas worker, a WHV is a very short-term solution.  A 482 is longer term and a 186 or 187 is permanent, but it will depend on both you and the employee meeting the criteria.  It would be wise to speak with a registered migration to investigate the best options that may be available.