Areas North of Brisbane

Gypsie24

Hi.

I am looking at moving North of Brisbane and would like some advise on area;s and secondary Schools.

I have three teenage girls so I would like to have good transport options to the city and access to the airport area. Have been looking at Bridgeman Downs, Carlesdine, Warner, Albany Creek. I think what really it depends on is school and house prices.

Any information would be great on above but also recommendation of areas I have not considered.

Hi Gypsie24

We live in Eatons Hill which is close to Albany Creek.  It is a lovely area to live in with access to good schools and reasonable transport options.  We have buses to the city and Chermside/Strathpine (large shopping malls). Buses to the city take typically 50 minutes to 1 hour as they stop alot and the traffic is quite bad during rush hour.

It is about a 10 minute drive to Strathpine Railway Station for trains north to the Sunshine Coast and Redcliffe Peninsula and south to the City and beyond. Trains to the city take about 25 minutes.

There is a mixture of housing options with houses on acreage (large blocks), older 1970s housing on reasonable blocks and much newer estates also on good sized blocks.  We live in one of the newer areas on 888m2.  The area is very popular with people from the UK, NZ and South Africa.

The local state high school is in Albany Creek and seems to have a good reputation.  Our teenage kids travel a bit further to go to Wavell State High.  We selected this school as it had a much greater choice of subjects. We have been happy so far with the school but have friends who have been equally satisfied with Albany Creek State High.  There are also a number of private schools in the area if your budget stretches to that.

In recent years a lot more infrastructure has been built on the main road that skirts Eatons Hill and there is quite a good hub around the new Woolworths and Eatons Hill Hotel.  In the older shopping areas there are hairdressers, dentist, GPs and most other things you would need.

There are various local groups for people who are new to the area such as New2Northside and Northside Womans Book Club that you could joion.  If you PM me I can send you details.

As far as the other areas you have mentioned are concerned, here is my impression:

Bridgeman Downs - area established in 1960s/70s with big houses on large blocks.   It is a fairly well to do area and within Brisbane. There are a lot of new developments being built at present on blocks where a single house is demolished and replaced with multiple new house. and as a result these are quite close together. 

Carseldine - area established in 1960s/70s with much higher density housing than Bridgeman Downs.  Again this area is in Brisbane. Good connections to the city as has lots of buses and its own train station. Downside is that some areas are starting to get a bit run down and there was a large drugs bust (Ice) the other day in this area.

Warner - this area is fairly close to Albany Creek and Eatons Hill. It is in the Pine Rivers area of Moreton Bay Shire.  It was originally an area with acreage properties.  About 10 years ago, the dozers came in and removed most trees (destroying important koala habitat) and high density housing was installed around "lakes".  They are still building... It looks very bland as a result of removing the old trees.  Eatons Hill was built around the old bush areas and therefore appears much greener.  Lots of young families live in this area.  There is a bus that links to Strathpine railway station.

Albany Creek - another 1960s/70s area with a wide range of housing styles and quite a lot of amenities such as restaurants, craft beer bars and supermarkets.  Again, in Pine Rivers. The same buses that service Eatons Hill service Albany Creek.  You would probably drive to Carseldine if you wanted to get the train to the city.

I hope that the above information helps.

23 hours ago, Loopylu said:

Hi Gypsie24

We live in Eatons Hill which is close to Albany Creek.  It is a lovely area to live in with access to good schools and reasonable transport options.  We have buses to the city and Chermside/Strathpine (large shopping malls). Buses to the city take typically 50 minutes to 1 hour as they stop alot and the traffic is quite bad during rush hour.

It is about a 10 minute drive to Strathpine Railway Station for trains north to the Sunshine Coast and Redcliffe Peninsula and south to the City and beyond. Trains to the city take about 25 minutes.

There is a mixture of housing options with houses on acreage (large blocks), older 1970s housing on reasonable blocks and much newer estates also on good sized blocks.  We live in one of the newer areas on 888m2.  The area is very popular with people from the UK, NZ and South Africa.

The local state high school is in Albany Creek and seems to have a good reputation.  Our teenage kids travel a bit further to go to Wavell State High.  We selected this school as it had a much greater choice of subjects. We have been happy so far with the school but have friends who have been equally satisfied with Albany Creek State High.  There are also a number of private schools in the area if your budget stretches to that.

In recent years a lot more infrastructure has been built on the main road that skirts Eatons Hill and there is quite a good hub around the new Woolworths and Eatons Hill Hotel.  In the older shopping areas there are hairdressers, dentist, GPs and most other things you would need.

There are various local groups for people who are new to the area such as New2Northside and Northside Womans Book Club that you could joion.  If you PM me I can send you details.

As far as the other areas you have mentioned are concerned, here is my impression:

Bridgeman Downs - area established in 1960s/70s with big houses on large blocks.   It is a fairly well to do area and within Brisbane. There are a lot of new developments being built at present on blocks where a single house is demolished and replaced with multiple new house. and as a result these are quite close together. 

Carseldine - area established in 1960s/70s with much higher density housing than Bridgeman Downs.  Again this area is in Brisbane. Good connections to the city as has lots of buses and its own train station. Downside is that some areas are starting to get a bit run down and there was a large drugs bust (Ice) the other day in this area.

Warner - this area is fairly close to Albany Creek and Eatons Hill. It is in the Pine Rivers area of Moreton Bay Shire.  It was originally an area with acreage properties.  About 10 years ago, the dozers came in and removed most trees (destroying important koala habitat) and high density housing was installed around "lakes".  They are still building... It looks very bland as a result of removing the old trees.  Eatons Hill was built around the old bush areas and therefore appears much greener.  Lots of young families live in this area.  There is a bus that links to Strathpine railway station.

Albany Creek - another 1960s/70s area with a wide range of housing styles and quite a lot of amenities such as restaurants, craft beer bars and supermarkets.  Again, in Pine Rivers. The same buses that service Eatons Hill service Albany Creek.  You would probably drive to Carseldine if you wanted to get the train to the city.

I hope that the above information helps.

thank you might have to take a trip there to have a good look around.