Pregnant on a Student Visa

lividbones

Thanks for reading everyone!

I came to AUS last year on a WHV where I met my current partner. I enrolled in school so I could further my education as a nurse. I found out last week that I’m 3 months pregnant and I’m freaking out! Has anyone else ever been in this situation? My course doesn’t start until October and I’m due in February which means I won’t be able to finish it. What does that mean for my visa? Please give me any and all advice and if you’ve been in this situation I’d love to hear from you!

Sincerely,

Worried like HELL

Yes, I’d be worried too. Can you defer your studies, go home to have the baby then resume your studies when you’re more settled? Could your partner go with you? Are you in an established relationship with a permanent resident? If I were you I would be talking to a registered agent asap but, bottom line, If you can’t do your course then you can’t be a student.

If your partner is PR/citizen, then you need to be very alert to the ramifications of The Hague Convention and the implications of having a baby in a foreign country with a resident of that country when you don’t have any permanent right to be in that country. It’s often safer all round to have your baby at home, where you would probably be better supported financially and emotionally then making a decision about where to live once the dust has settled. (There’s a sticky on the subject on here, worth reading in detail.)

Congratulations (I think!) on your about to be bundle of joy!

• Like 6