Citizenship Application Question

LB93

Hi all,

Was wondering if anyone on here could give me some insight into my problem, as i cant seem to find any information on it on the forum.

My problem is that i'm a UK citizen, who has PR here (gained Feb this year), so qualify for citizenship February 2019. Problem is, me and my Mrs were going to move back to the UK as we have been here for a few years now and the parents back home are getting a bit older and such, so we want to go back and spend some time with them. The predicament is that i was going to wait until i got my citizenship before we left for the UK as we don't know how long we intend on staying there, so thought it would be easier if i just had an Aussie passport if we decided to make the move back here. I never realized that the citizenship process lasted so long (14-17 months according to the website!!) 

Does anyone know if i can apply for the citizenship in Feb, move back to the UK, then fly back for the ceremony? or do i need to stay in Aus for the entire time that the application is being sorted out?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers! 

1. You need to advise any known travel plans on your application and as far as I was aware, they don’t schedule anything whilst you are away.

2. You need to take your citizenship test and have an interview (there are some exceptions, like age) which happens before the ceremony, I haven’t heard of this being done outside of Australia.